Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old April 22nd 09, 11:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Three Polgar Candidates Miss Filing Deadline

Three Polgar Candidates Miss Filing Deadline

In what may be a major development, the three candidates supported by
Susan Polgar in the current race for election to the USCF Executive
Board have all missed the April 20, 2009 deadline for filing
candidates statements to appear in the June issue in Chess Life
magazine.

It has previously been announced that this filing deadline was firm.
Candidates who do not submit by that date would not have their
statements published in Chess Life.

The three candidates who failed to file on time were Lugo, Hecht and
Korenman.

One can only speculate as to their reasons for failure to file on
time, but my guess is that they are dropping out of the race.

It would make sense for them to drop out for several reasons. One is
that pre-election polls show them trailing far behind the leading
candidates, without much chance to win. Secondly, they probably do not
like their status as Polgar Candidates, at a time when Polgar is suing
the USCF for $25 million. They would probably prefer to be considered
independent candidates, with their own merits and demerits.

If it is true that the three Polgar candidates are dropping out, that
changes the status of the election in many ways. It is a major blow to
Polgar, who was clearly hoping that her slate would win and then the
Polgar-controlled board would dismiss all the lawsuits of USCF vs.
Polgar and rule in favor of Polgar in Polgar vs. USCF. The three
Polgar candidates dropping out would end Polgar's dreams of taking
over the USCF through elections because, of the eight remaining
candidates, seven are not in favor of Polgar and the sympathies of the
eighth are unknown.

The Polgar Candidates dropping out, if that is what is happening,
helps the Goichberg slate, because it eliminates the Polgar threat to
take over the USCF. However, it mildly hurts Goichberg in another way,
in that the strongest reason to vote for Goichberg is fear of Polgar.
Many voters have been saying that, if Goichberg is defeated for re-
election, then Polgar will inevitably take over, so it is necessary to
vote for Goichberg. If the Polgar threat is eliminated, the voters can
feel free to vote for any of the remaining eight candidates. So, if it
is true that the Polgar candidates are dropping out, that could lead
to Goichberg losing his control over the USCF.

Sam Sloan
  #2   Report Post  
Old April 22nd 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,073
Default Three Polgar Candidates Miss Filing Deadline

On Apr 22, 6:34*am, samsloan wrote:
Three Polgar Candidates Miss Filing Deadline

In what may be a major development, the three candidates supported by
Susan Polgar in the current race for election to the USCF Executive
Board have all missed the April 20, 2009 deadline for filing
candidates statements to appear in the June issue in Chess Life
magazine.

It has previously been announced that this filing deadline was firm.
Candidates who do not submit by that date would not have their
statements published in Chess Life.

The three candidates who failed to file on time were Lugo, Hecht and
Korenman.


I'm sure they are going to get permission from the court to file their
statements late.... oh, sorry, wrong sort of statement.
  #3   Report Post  
Old April 23rd 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,194
Default Three Polgar Candidates Miss Filing Deadline

1) It wasn't a "filing" deadline, it was an editorial deadline. 2) All
three of them have since said that they want to reuse their first
statements. Of course, that's not going to get them many votes, but
running a poor campaign is not illegal. They'll probably still finish
ahead of the Sloon.
  #4   Report Post  
Old April 23rd 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,073
Default Three Polgar Candidates Miss Filing Deadline

On Apr 22, 9:00*pm, wrote:
1) It wasn't a "filing" deadline, it was an editorial deadline. 2) All
three of them have since said that they want to reuse their first
statements. Of course, that's not going to get them many votes, but
running a poor campaign is not illegal. They'll probably still finish
ahead of the Sloon.


Let us pray
  #5   Report Post  
Old April 23rd 09, 12:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Rob Rob is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,053
Default Three Polgar Candidates Miss Filing Deadline

On Apr 22, 8:00*pm, wrote:
1) It wasn't a "filing" deadline, it was an editorial deadline. 2) All
three of them have since said that they want to reuse their first
statements. Of course, that's not going to get them many votes, but
running a poor campaign is not illegal. They'll probably still finish
ahead of the Sloon.


I agree. Few people read chess life anyway.


  #6   Report Post  
Old April 24th 09, 09:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Dec 2008
Posts: 80
Default Three Polgar Candidates Miss Filing Deadline

On Apr 22, 9:57*pm, None wrote:
On Apr 22, 9:00*pm, wrote:

1) It wasn't a "filing" deadline, it was an editorial deadline. 2) All
three of them have since said that they want to reuse their first
statements. Of course, that's not going to get them many votes, but
running a poor campaign is not illegal. They'll probably still finish
ahead of the Sloon.


Let us pray


Yeah, all that sunlight could be very unhealthy.
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The End Draws Near Mr.Vidmar[_2_] alt.chess (Alternative Chess Group) 0 March 25th 09 01:10 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017