Old September 15th 03, 04:34 AM

Default Searching for Bobby Fischer

Searching for Bobby Fischer

I just replayed the movie "Searching for Booby Fischer" on video. Of
course, I had seen the movie before, but this time I saw a few things
I had not seen previously.

I think that we as chess players can learn a lot from this movie. It
is a masterpiece in the way that it takes a subject most people would
find to be deadly boring and turns it into an exciting drama. Best of
all, the main events actually happened in real life and all of the
characters are or were real people, although some modifications were
necessary to make it into a good movie which the general public would
enjoy.

The plot line: Talented seven-year-old boy defeats his main rival to
win National Scholastic Chess Championship. Already, there is a little
fib. In real life, Joshua Waitzkin was about 13 when he won the
National Scholastic Championship. That was no big deal, so they had to
cut his age to seven to make the story more interesting.

In your typical Bruce Lee Movie, in the grand finale, Bruce Lee fights
the grand wizard to the death. Here instead, two seven year old kids
battle for the title. In the movie, the opponent is Jonathan Poe.
However, in real life, the final battle was fought by Joshua Waitzkin
against Jeff Sarwer.

To those familiar with the background, there is a reason for this name
change. Shortly after the real life tournament, the real life Jeff
Sarwer was taken away from the custody of his father by the child
welfare authorities. I do not know the details of what happened, but
it is clear that no court appointed guardian would ever agree to the
portrayal of Sarwer and his father the way that they are portrayed in
this movie.

So, the movie commits another fib. It says that the man who is
bringing the Sarwer character around to chess tournaments is not his
father at all. This man says that the parents have given the child to
his guardianship at age 4, that all he does is play chess and that he
never goes to school. The real life Sawyer, whom I once played in a
tournament (I beat him) never went to school either, but as far as I
know the man bringing him to chess tournaments was his real father.

Still, the guardian/father of Sarwer delivers one of the most
significant lines in the movie: "Eventually you realize that you have
taught them all that you can, and you just have to let them be what
they are."

Every line and every word of this movie is significant. It is a
masterpiece of writing and editing. This makes it easy for the viewer
to miss important points. It would sometimes be difficult to follow,
as the movie constantly shifts back and forth between real events and
fantasy. For example, there is actual footage of news broadcasts of
the real Bobby Fischer and as well as vintage photographs of Edward
Lasker, John W. Collins and other famous chess players.

There is the eternal conflict between the boy and his father. There
are also conflicts between the public school teacher and the parents,
the parents with each other, the parents and the coach, and the coach,
an actor, Ben Kingsley playing Bruce Pandolfini, and the chess hustler
in the park, Laurence Fishburne playing Vinnie a/k/a Vincent
Livermore.

In real life, Vincent Livermore died of AIDS just before the movie
came out. I asked Joshua Waitzkin about this (I asked the real life
Joshua Waitzkin, not an actor playing him in the movies) and he told
me that the character "Vinnie" is a composite based in part on Vincent
Livermore and in part on another chess player.

This movie has had a profound effect on the lives of several chess
players. The real life Bruce Pandolfini has become a wealthy man
giving chess lessons for $250 an hour to parents who are convinced
that their brilliant tyke needs lessons from the real Bruce
Pandolfini.

On the other hand, FIDE Master Asa Hoffmann is portrayed in the movie
as a raving schizophrenic who talks to himself. In real life, Asa
Hoffman does not do that and is a much stronger chess player than
Bruce Pandolfini, but Asa has a hard time getting paying chess
students, so he reduces himself to hustling strangers every day for
five dollars a game in Liberty Park near the former World Trade
Center.

It must be mentioned here that the producers of this movie paid the
real Asa Hoffmann a very large sum of money for the rights to have an
actor portray him, so Hoffman is not complaining. In the movie, the
Bruce Pandolfini character says that Asa Hoffmann is the child of two
Park Avenue lawyers and attended Columbia University. I learned
something here. I knew that the father of Asa Hoffmann was a prominent
lawyer. I did not previously know that his mother was an even more
famous lawyer who argued before the United States Supreme Court.

There is a chess player who in real life acts the same way that the
Asa Hoffmann character in the movies acts. That is Larry Gilden, but I
have not seen him in years and I doubt that Joshua Waitzkin has seen
him at all.

In one of the early scenes, Bruce Pandofini takes Fred Waitzkin,
Joshua's father, to see a real chess tournament. The room is filled
with smoke and it is not possible to see from one end of the room to
the other. Playing in this smoke filled room are Joel Benjamin and
Roman Dzindzichashvili, playing themselves in the movie. The point is
that these are the best chess players in the country and yet they are
playing in squalid conditions.

However, I have never seen such bad conditions in a chess tournament.
Smoking has been banned in chess tournaments for years.

There are so many other little details like that that I cannot
possibly list them all, but the big conflict in the movie concerns
chess strategy. Beginners at chess usually want to move out their
queen right away, but experienced players try to keep their queen
safely behind their minor pieces. Bruce Pandolfini, the chess teacher,
teacher Joshua to play positionally and to keep his queen back.
Vincent Livermore, who plays Joshua two minute chess in Washington
Square Park, teaches him to bring out the queen early.

In one of his first tournaments, Joshua plays an early Qf3, in an
obvious beginner's attempt at a Scholars Mate in which White plays the
moves 1 e4 2 Bc4 3. Qf3 4. Qxf7 mate. An adult watching the game
smirks at this move. You have to be a chess player to understand the
reason for the smirk.

The climatic showdown comes when Joshua is on stage battling for the
championship. His rival Jonathan Poe arrives. It will be a fight to
the finish.

I have worked out the moves. I do not believe that anybody else has
done this, so please pay attention. The game starts with a Queens
Gambit Accepted as follows: 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 c6
5. a4 Bf5 6. Ne5 e6 7. Bg5.

This game is being watched on TV by the parents and coaches in another
room. Laurence Fishburne says, "Bring her out". Bruce Pandolfini says
"Don't even think about bringing her out." They both repeat themselves
several times and exchange dirty glances.

What they are talking about is Joshua's next move could be either Qa5,
developing the queen perhaps prematurely, or Be7 or Nd7 which are both
normal developing moves.

This is a key point in the drama. Finally, Josh plays Qa5, disobeying
his teacher.

I tried to figure out which moves came next but it is apparent that
the next bunch of moves are just random moves or more likely were
edited in out of sequence. Eventually, they reach the following
problem-like position: White has a king on e6, rook on e5, knight on
e4, bishop on g5 and pawns on f6 and h4. Black has rook on c8, bishop
on d8, knight on b6, king on c2 and pawns on a7 and g7.

This looks like a problem created by Grandmaster Pal Benko, but
Taghian Taghian told me that Bruce Pandolfini and another chess player
worked it out. Pal Benko was a consultant to this movie, however. The
last move by White was Kd5. It is now Black to play and win. It is a
cute solution. I do not know how difficult it is, because I know the
solution already, since I had to work backwards from the final
position to get to this position. It is almost ridiculous to suggest
that any seven year old child could find over the board the solution
to this problem which was perhaps composed by Grandmaster Pal Benko.

OK Ready? The solution is: 1. ... gxf6 2. Bxf6 Rc6+ 3. Kf5 Rxf6 4.
Nxf6 Bxf6 5. Kxf6 Nd7+ 6. Kf5 Nxe5+ 7. Kxe5 a5 8. h5 a4 9. h6 a3 10.
h7 a2 11. h8=Q a1=Q+ 12. Kf5 Qxh8 White resigns 0-1

By the way, it took me about an hour of playing back and replaying
this video before I got all the pieces in their correct positions and
all the moves right too.

The point is that White has queened his pawn first but Black queens
with check on the long diagonal and wins White's queen. A cute and
unusual solution to an endgame study.

By the way, in real life the game ended in a draw.

Old September 15th 03, 05:30 AM
ASCACHESS

The plot line: Talented seven-year-old boy defeats his main rival to
win National Scholastic Chess Championship. Already, there is a little
fib. In real life, Joshua Waitzkin was about 13 when he won the
National Scholastic Championship. That was no big deal, so they had to
cut his age to seven to make the story more interesting.
Sam Sloan

Sam, Sam, Sam,
It is just not fair for you to monopolize your namesake award in this fashion.
Perhaps there should be another award- a Grand Sloan if you will. At least,
this is an award you could legitimately earn.
Your ability to never let the truth get in the way of your story is amazing.

For the record, Waitzkin and Sawrer played for the National Primary
Championship in 1986 and tied for first. Waitzkin was nine and Sawrer was
eight at the time.
For Sam to claim Waitzkin was "about 13" is absurd and manifestly false. It
shows how little Sam knows about scholastic chess on any level.

Richard Peterson
Old September 15th 03, 06:13 AM

At 12:22 AM 9/15/2003 -0400, Lonnie Kwartler wrote:
Hi Sam,
The movie did some things for the audience such as amplifying the noises
made by the clocks and the pieces. The players also were announcing checks.
The character Vinnie was a much stronger player than Livermore in the
movie and in the book. I believe the other figure the character was based on
is senior master Morrison. The "grandmaster" playing Vinnie in the park, as
I remember it, was IM Kamrazi.
There were some inside jokes in the movie such as the real Pandolfini
asking the actor representing him a question as they both watched a game in
the park.
The position and moves of the final game were published somewhere online.
Lonnie

You just made two very good points and I was going to mention both of
them but forgot.

There is a real grandmaster playing chess in the movie. That is
Grandmaster Kamran Shirazi from Iran. It shows him playing Vinnie in
Washington Square Park. Of course, in real life, Livermore would stand
no chance against Shirazi.

What bothers me about the character Vinnie is that it is suggested
that he is a drug addict who sleeps in the park. As far as I knew,
Livermore did not sleep in the park or use drugs. However, he was in
the park every day. I saw him there shortly before he died. Also, the
rap of Vinnie, constantly talking during the game, was clearly an
immitation of Livermore. Livermore was reputed to be homosexual, which
would explain his AIDS, not drugs, but I know of no evidence for that.

Also, you are correct. Early in the movie, the real Bruce Pandolfini
is standing next to Ben Kingsley playing Bruce Pandolfini. The real
Bruce Pandolfini says "That's the next Bobby Fischer", pointing to
Josh.

I actually wonder if that was planned. Did the photographers
understand that the real Pandolfini was standing there? His name is
not in the credits. Many if not most of the people in these scenes are
actual players who are regulars in the park. Poe McClinton, a rated
chess master and park regular who is Black, has one line in the movie.
He says, "Quiet. Josh is here," when Josh comes back after having been
forbidden by his chess teacher from playing in the park.

On one of the wall charts shown in the movie there is a player named
Goodall. I have been wondering if that was our own Mike Goodall.

It has always bothered me that I would have been in this movie too,
except that I was detained in Virginia at the time.

Old September 15th 03, 06:33 AM
ASCACHESS

There is a real grandmaster playing chess in the movie. That is
Grandmaster Kamran Shirazi from Iran.

Who is an IM not a GM.
Old September 15th 03, 07:22 AM
Yeh Right

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 05:13:19 +0000, Sam Sloan wrote:

It has always bothered me that I would have been in this movie too,
except that I was detained in Virginia at the time.
Sam Sloan

Thank God for small favors......

--

Best Regards,
Yeh

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"
-Nick Lowe

Old September 15th 03, 02:34 PM

On 15 Sep 2003 04:30:39 GMT, (ASCACHESS) wrote:

[...]

On this, I concede defeat. Richard "Take the Money and Run" Peterson
knows a lot more about scholastic chess and its history than I do.
Richard Peterson was directing scholastic chess tournaments at least
by 1990 and continued until the USCF recently banned him from
directing USCF rated tournaments.

However, it should be pointed out that according to the movie they
were playing for the National Scholastic Championship. I guess that
was another little fib. If it had been shown that they were playing
for only the National Primary School Championship, the movie would not
have been as interesting.

For those of you who do not know, Richard Peterson with his children
is featured in the Movie "Chess Kids" starring Judit Polgar, which is
based on the 1990 World Youth Championships directed by Don Schultz.
Another similarity between the movie and real life is: Shortly after
that tournament, Richard Peterson was apprehended by the child welfare
authorities and his kids were taken away from him. I think they caught
them at the airport. This is similar to the real life Jeff Sarwer,
portrayed as Jonathan Poe in the movie, whose father was also
apprehended by the child welfare authorities and the two children
taken away in real life. Jeff Sawyer has a sister Julia who also
played chess but she is not portrayed in the movie. Sarwer still plays
chess and has a USCF rating.
http://www.64.com/uscf/ratings/12452288

I do wonder if these kids were taken away from their fathers because
they played a lot of chess, which was deemed unhealthy by some
government bureaucrats.

Old September 15th 03, 04:22 PM
KidDon

(Sam Sloan) wrote in message ...
Searching for Bobby Fischer

(snip)
_________________________________
Sam is not the first to analyse this game. It is also done here,
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall.../searching.htm,
although the analysis and "final position" are somewhat different.

KidDon
Old September 15th 03, 05:06 PM
ASCACHESS

On this, I concede defeat. Richard "Take the Money and Run" Peterson
knows a lot more about scholastic chess and its history than I do.
Richard Peterson was directing scholastic chess tournaments at least
by 1990 and continued until the USCF recently banned him from
directing USCF rated tournaments.

Sam, Sam, Sam, more character assasination?
Did I also get a watch from FIDE?
Is this like when you accused Tim Redman of wanting to run off with the
tournament receipts?
You want people to know when you lie?
We have several to choose from.

Did I ever "take the money and run"? No.
Have I ever been banned from running rated tournaments? No.

Another similarity between the movie and real life is: Shortly after
that tournament, Richard Peterson was apprehended by the child welfare
authorities and his kids were taken away from him. I think they caught
them at the airport.

Sam, I thank you for writing this.
There is not a scintilla of truth in it, but we know who on the current board
feeds you information.

To be clear, this is whole cloth. Sam is a liar.
There were no child welfare authorities. There was no apprehension.
My children continued to live with me after the event.
Sam is lying, what a shock.

If there is any question regarding the above, I suggest Sunil Weeramanatry or
Steve Shutt be asked since both were familiar with my family and me during this
period.

What is not surprising is the depths the political class will stoop in
attacking the character of their enemies.

Sheesh
Richard Peterson