Old October 13th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Comparing Fischer vs Petrosian at Olympiads

On Oct 12, 4:13 pm, samsloan wrote:
Thank you for posting this interesting article.

Petrosian played in ten Olympiads, Fischer I think played in only two.

In four, actually. In 1960,62,66 and 1970.

His total result according to wikipedia was +40, =18, -7, for 75.4%.
My copy of "60 memorable" does not break his Olympiad results down
into games (all it says is, "high scorer" a rather ambiguous message)
so I cannot check this. Wikipedia
says that Petrosian's results were +78 =50 -1, for 79.8 per cent,
third best after Tal and Karpov.

William Hyde
Old October 13th 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

MUNICH OLYMPIAD 1958

Apparently Fischer wasn't on the American team because, as national
champion, he refused to take second board behind Reshevsky.

Old October 13th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Oct 13, 1:04*pm, William Hyde wrote:
On Oct 12, 4:13 pm, samsloan wrote:

Thank you for posting this interesting article.
Petrosian played in ten Olympiads, Fischer I think played in only two.

In four, actually. *In 1960,62,66 and 1970.

His total result according to wikipedia was +40, =18, -7, for *75.4%.
My copy of "60 memorable" does not break his Olympiad results down
into games (all it says is, "high scorer" a rather ambiguous message)
so I cannot check this. *Wikipedia
says that Petrosian's results were +78 =50 -1, for 79.8 per cent,
third best after Tal and Karpov.

William Hyde

Fischer's percentage is also surpassed by Isaac Kashdan, who scored
+52 -5 =22 in five Olympiads 1928-1937.