Old October 17th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Next W Ch

THIS CRAZY WORLD OF CHESS by GM Larry Evans

I'll be rooting for Anand. I don't like the ethics of Topalov and
his shady manager Danailov. -- Taylor Kingston

At London in 2000 Kasparov shortened the contest against Kramnik from
20 to 16 games, but this time draw odds didnít save him. Clearly out
of form, Kasparov failed to win a single game and his reign came to an
end....Kramnik finally unified the title in 2006 by beating Topalov
who made a fool of himself by accusing him of cheating in a stormy
match dubbed "Toiletgate." They no longer are on speaking terms.

Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Oct 16, 3:16 pm, ChessFire wrote:
I assume the word 'matches' below is a poor consideration of the
English word for 'games' //Phil Innes

Sofia to host world chess crown showdown in April 2010
Fri, Oct 16 2009 17:30 CET
by The Sofia Echo staff

Sofia was picked to host the showdown for the world chess crown,
giving Bulgarian challenger Vesselin Topalov the home ground advantage
against India's Viswanathan Anand. The match will be played on April
5-25, 2010.

World chess federation FIDE picked the Bulgarian capital, which
offered to spend three million euro on organising the event and a
further two million euro in prize money, over Turkey and Singapore.

"The letter from [Prime Minister Boiko] Borissov tipped the scales in
our favour," Topalov's manager Silvio Danailov said. "After it was
read by FIDE president Kirsan Ilyumzhinov at the FIDE congress,
everyone voted in favour of our offer."

Topalov and Anand will play 12 matches for the title. In case of a
draw the winner will be decided in a tie-break of four rapid chess
games.
Source:http://www.sofiaecho.com

Chess news from Susan Polgar

Old October 17th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Talking of old champions - I thought this was a good tribute from
Kasparov to Karpov:

Russians' rivalry turns one-sided
Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:28 AM
By SHELBY LYMAN

The recent 12-game fast-play match between Garry Kasparov and Anatoly
Karpov in Valencia, Spain, raises an obvious question: Why would
Karpov consent to such an event?

Kasparov, after four years of inactivity as a player, has the second-
highest rating in the world, while Karpov has slipped out of the top
100.

But there is a luminous history between the two Russians. Head to
head, they're virtually equals: Kasparov has won 21 and Karpov 19 of
the 144 games they have played; the other 104 were draws.

Although Kasparov triumphed in all four of the 24-game world-title
matches they played between 1985 and 1990, each event was in doubt
until the final round.

Karpov has also never lacked confidence. He has a virtually unmatched
intuitive feeling for the game.

But few were surprised when his opponent, clearly well-honed for the
event, emerged victorious, winning nine games to Karpov's three.
In an interview, Kasparov paid tribute to his one-time nemesis.

"Karpov was my greatest teacher," he said, "the one I learned the most
from in chess and life."

They will play again in December in Paris.

Source: http://www.columbusdispatch.com