Old October 28th 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Chess Junkets?!

BY JACK PETERS, LA TIMES CHESS COLUMNIST

Dear chess fan,

You probably remember that America's Foundation for Chess, the group
who sponsored several U.S. Championships, decided to concentrate on
teaching chess to schoolchildren a few years ago. They claimed they
had a method that would train non-playing teachers to instruct
children. How is it working?

We don't know yet, and we may never find out. According to this TV
news report,

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7086373

many teachers did not complete the full schedule of chess classes, and
there is a controversy over a luxurious chess cruise that some
teachers and administrators took. The report did not make it clear if
AF4C contributed to the cost of the cruises. But the school district
did pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the cruises.

You can lament government waste and corruption, but I look at it
differently. Why isn't this money going to underpaid masters?

Best wishes, Jack Peters

Old October 28th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On Oct 28, 4:49*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Because underpaid masters do not babysit schoolcrhildren.

If they were asked to, it would take a lot more than a cruise to get
them to agree.

Teaching chess to kids isn't about producing chapions, it's about
keeping the kids out of trouble and sharpening their minds.