Old November 27th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Turkish Women Dissed?

TURKISH REPLY

Dear ChessBase,

2009 World Youth Chess Championships, were organised in Antalya with
very good conditions. We did not get any complaint for the event on
the contrary we got much positive feedbacks.

Let me explain you that in the 2009 World Youth Chess Championships
closing ceremony, after consultation with FIDE authorities in Antalya
in advance, a long time before the final round, we decided not to play
any national anthems. You should understand that, as you mentioned on
your website, twelve anthems would last at least 50 minutes, and
considering the very young players and many guests it would have been
torture to them.

So no anthems were played, not even the national anthem of Turkey, or
the anthem of FIDE.

Today when I read your website, and this scandalous letter of ICF, I
was shocked. This kind of news may get attention, but it does not
contribute to our eminent sport. On the contrary, such as approach can
only help to get politics into chess, which all we are afraid and very
far. We had always excellent relations with Israel Chess Federation
without any problem, we do not share the comment on the official
protest of their chairman. We think that also that scandalous letter
does not have any base on the board of Israel Chess Federation. We
will make official explanation to related diplomatic missions.
However, I should say that by listening a parent, and not a good
friend, the chairman of Israel Chess Federation went very far passing
all limits. That is a shame for chess which tries to make world a
peaceful place.

Best regards,
Ali Nihat YAZICI
President

ChessFire wrote:
I would like to note that the Turkish Chess Federation has not
formally responded yet. Therefore, let's not jump into any conclusion
until all the facts are available. I will post the response from the
organizers as soon as I have it.

Scandal in Turkey

This letter was yesterday sent to FIDE, Ilyumzhinov and Gelfer.

Dear Mr. President,

I write to you with great concern following what seems as a serious
incident that occurred. Today during the closing ceremony of the world
junior championships held in Turkey. Happily our girl junior player,
Marcel Efroymsky, has won the world title and the gold medal. As
costumed in such events, the delegations prepared to stand and salute
the national anthem of the winner's country.

Astonishingly and without any warning, the organizers decided to
cancel the playing of the winners anthem . The Turkish organization
has offered a ridiculous explanation that they do not have the time to
spend on such event.

This excuse is absurd in light of the same venue hosting this event
two years ago where all winner anthems were played! In there actions,
the organizers demonstrated disrespect to the junior winners, their
federation and their countries.

As chairman of the Israeli chess federation, I herby urge you to
investigate this incident. I must say that this kind of boycott (if
such occurred) strikes as a another example of how politics interferes
with chess. I call you as president of the FIDE, for which the
tournament carried your flag, to investigate this issue and if the
information appeared to be accurate, then to denounce this
disrespectful conduct if the information.

My feeling is, that such events hurt chess in general and send the
wrong message the children who dream to become chess champions taking
pride in representing their countries.

Yours truly,
Aviv Bushinsky
Chairman of the Israeli chess Federation