Old December 7th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default The Boy who Met Morphy

THE EVANS GAMBIT

I had no idea that Larry Evans was that old. His gambit is not so
much
in favor now. -- Stan Booz

I once overheard someone ask GM Evans if he invented the Evans Gambit.
He replied: "No. It was invented by Captain Evans over 100 years ago
and he has been living off my reputation ever since he died."

None wrote:
On Dec 7, 3:12 pm, invertebrae wrote:
I'm thinking of going on a "Find the Boy" mission, since this
kiddietot who wrote to Lasker seemed right in the fray in NY when
Morphy was there. He even reveals his chaperone, and his hearty use of
the Evan's Gambit, and the fact that he won all but one match while at
the Brooklyn and Manhattan Chess Clubs (I'm assuming those were his
venues of choice).
...,
Hmmm....

The search continues.

...ryan

Old December 7th 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

How funny if this were "CAISSA"...

http://books.google.com/books?id=gSc...ith%22&f=false

If it were the case, it definitely paints the original author of this
letter in a new light. It would corroborate the fact that some of his
Morphy-isms are more-less derivations of well-founded rumor.

I don't know when the Passed Pawn Club was around, nor when this story
actually took place. Does anybody here know of: J. Philidor Smith and
his nephew J. Asbury Smith ("The Prodigy")?

If the dates lined up, the connection between both articles to
Lasker's Chess Magazine would be worth consideration.

....ryan
Old December 7th 09, 10:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

None wrote:
On Dec 7, 3:12 pm, invertebrae wrote:
I'm thinking of going on a "Find the Boy" mission, since this
kiddietot who wrote to Lasker seemed right in the fray in NY when
Morphy was there. He even reveals his chaperone, and his hearty use of
the Evan's Gambit, and the fact that he won all but one match while at
the Brooklyn and Manhattan Chess Clubs (I'm assuming those were his
venues of choice).
...,
Hmmm....

The search continues.

...ryan

I had no idea that Larry Evans was that old. His gambit is not so much
in favor now.- Hide quoted text -

Actually, if Evans said this he is himself borrowing from the wit Rev
Macdonnell, who made the same statement about Alexander McDonnell.

Jerry Spinrad

Old December 10th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 7, 4:01*pm, " wrote:
THE EVANS GAMBIT

I had no idea that Larry Evans was that old. His gambit is not so
much
in favor now. -- Stan Booz

I once overheard someone ask GM Evans if he invented the Evans Gambit.
He replied: "No. It was invented by Captain Evans over 100 years ago
and he has been living off my reputation ever since he died."

As I recall, GM Evans is Larry M. Evans and the other recognized
master is Larry D. Evans. Therefore the question arises whether Larry
D. Evans is living off the reputation of Lasrry M. Evans or of Capt.
Evans.

David Ames