Old December 9th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Shout out to Lev Alburt

On Dec 6, 11:03*pm, " wrote:
EVANS: What were some of your objectives when you ran for office?

ALBURT: I wanted to reverse our FIDE policy and condemn such
extravaganzas as the Soviet blacklist that our leadership accepted in
the hope of launching a USA-USSR Summit Match in 1986. But my main
goal was to work with the board to pursue what I thought was our
common interest: to promote chess in this country, to help our
federation grow towards the 100,000 mark. This certainly shouldn’t be
a big task since all polls indicate that tens of millions of Americans
know how to play chess.

Excerpt from THIS CRAzy WORLD OF CHESS by GM Larry Evans

100000? The USCF was close to 100k in members? That must have been
in the 1980s. I doubt if their membership now is half that.

RL
Old December 9th 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 9, 7:42*am, raylopez99 wrote:
On Dec 6, 11:03*pm, " wrote:

EVANS: What were some of your objectives when you ran for office?

ALBURT: I wanted to reverse our FIDE policy and condemn such
extravaganzas as the Soviet blacklist that our leadership accepted in
the hope of launching a USA-USSR Summit Match in 1986. But my main
goal was to work with the board to pursue what I thought was our
common interest: to promote chess in this country, to help our
federation grow towards the 100,000 mark. This certainly shouldn’t be
a big task since all polls indicate that tens of millions of Americans
know how to play chess.

Excerpt from THIS CRAzy WORLD OF CHESS by GM Larry Evans

100000? *The USCF was close to 100k in members? *That must have been
in the 1980s. *I doubt if their membership now is half that.

RL

Current USCF membership is around 82,000. The numbers are readily
available if you had bothered to look. The Alburt interview is from
1989. The 100,000 figure was wishful thinking, though membership
peaked around 98,000 a few years later with all those scholastic
drones.
Old December 10th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 6, 11:03*pm, " wrote:

[...]

That supports my claim, does it not nutter? 82k and falling, so it's
closer to 50k than 100k.

I was right again, as usual.

RL
Old December 10th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 6, 11:03*pm, " wrote:

[...]

If 82,000 is the correct current figure, then membership has increased
by 5,000 recently.

For this we can thank out chess publicists, Robert Snyder and Susan
Polgar.

Old December 11th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 6, 11:03*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Did you flunk 6th-grade math? 82 is closer to 100 than 50. The "100"
figure was bloviation by Alburt twenty years ago. Perhaps if you
showed any sign of knowing anything about the subject, or having
researched the readily-available data before shooting your mouth off,
you might have a bit more credibility. Why don't you and Sam go off
and hallucinate together, and leave the same people alone?

Old December 11th 09, 03:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 10, 8:25*pm, jkh001 wrote:

Why don't you and Sam go off
and hallucinate together, and leave the same people alone?

"Same" people? Otherwise a funny quip.

Old December 11th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 10, 8:08*am, raylopez99 wrote:

I was right again, as usual.

RL

You're stupid invariably.

Wlod
Old December 12th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 10, 8:25*pm, jkh001 wrote:
Did you flunk 6th-grade math? 82 is closer to 100 than 50. The "100"
figure was bloviation byAlburttwenty years ago. Perhaps if you
showed any sign of knowing anything about the subject, or having
researched the readily-available data before shooting your mouth off,
you might have a bit more credibility. Why don't you and Sam go off
and hallucinate together, and leave the same people alone?

SAME people? You mean "sane" people? You are insane!

I win. You made a typo, "SAME" people.

RL