Old December 16th 09, 11:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood

sd wrote:
On Dec 16, 1:28 pm, samsloan wrote:

However, it is not a book or even an ebook. It appears to be a data
file in ChessBase format.

It is more than that. You need to look at it and the book and compare.

Indeed it is. Came out very nicely using CB Reader. Ebooks are the
ware of the future. Everyman knows this and is converting their entire
catalog to ebook.

However, there still some people who do not like to spend hours
looking at a computer screen and prefer to read a traditional type of
book made with paper and ink. Those people will prefer my books. None
of my books are ebooks. All of my books are paper and ink style books.

It would be relatively easy to print out all of the e book, and bind
it in any form you want. At a much lower cost than what you charge for
photocopying.

I've done this with sections of Everyman books where I really want to
play with a variation on a real board. Maybe Sam should invest in a Kindle.

Old December 16th 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

samsloan wrote:
On Dec 16, 4:35 pm, sd wrote:
On Dec 16, 1:28 pm, samsloan wrote:

However, it is not a book or even an ebook. It appears to be a data
file in ChessBase format.

It is more than that. You need to look at it and the book and compare.

However, there still some people who do not like to spend hours
looking at a computer screen and prefer to read a traditional type of
book made with paper and ink. Those people will prefer my books. None
of my books are ebooks. All of my books are paper and ink style books.

It would be relatively easy to print out all of the e book, and bind
it in any form you want. At a much lower cost than what you charge for
photocopying.

How is that? In the format it is in now it cannot be printed at all.

Also, some of the lines are so bad that a beginner would be
embarrassed to play them.

Here is one, from what you call the "ebook".

1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 e5 3. e4 dxe4 4. Bxe4 Nf6 5. f3 Nxe4 5. fxe4 Qh4+

The ebook recommends against this line for White.

How much would someone be willing to pay for this analysis?

I do not know if this analysis is in the printed book or not, because
I do not have the printed book.

Sam Sloan

I'm confused. If you don't have the printed book by Bloodgood, how can
you comment on it compared to the ebook on Chessville?
Old December 17th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 16, 6:35*pm, MrVidmar wrote:
samsloan wrote:
On Dec 16, 4:35 pm, sd wrote:
[...]

I have seen the Bloodgood book and know what it looks like.

I just do not have it yet.

The so-called "ebook" on Chessville, is not an ebook at all, as that
term is understood. It is a database in ChessBase format, which is OK
if you have ChessBase and like using it, but that does not make it a
book.

I have no plans to go into ebooks. I tried one of two and they did not
sell well. I am sticking to traditional style books.

Old December 18th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
sd sd is offline

samsloan wrote:
On Dec 16, 4:35 pm, sd wrote:
[...]

You have no idea what you are talking about. It is not simply a
database of games. CB offers the ability to include significant
amounts of text.

As you noted earlier, you don't know what is in the book and what
isn't.
Old December 18th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

samsloan wrote:
On Dec 16, 4:35 pm, sd wrote:
[...]

I have the book now. I just received it and the line above
1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 e5 3. e4 dxe4 4. Bxe4 Nf6 5. f3 Nxe4 5. fxe4 Qh4+ is
indeed on page 23.

Bloodgood's weakness as a player is obvious. For example, he gives the
line 1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 c6 3. g5 as playable.

However, this move is obviously busted with 3. h6 forcing open the h-
file. After 4. gxh6 Nxh6 I would say that White is virtually lost.
Bloodgood analyzes this move on pages 20-22 and makes no mention of
the move 3. ... h6 in his book.

I have a little secret to reveal to you. Bloodgood was a Class-B
player. His rating in the Virginia State Rating list for April 1, 1958
was 1721. My rating on the same list was 1461. The rating statistician
was none other than Claude F. Bloodgood.

I think that due to rating inflation since that time we were all
underrated by about 100 points compared with the current standard, but
that still puts Bloodgood at 1821, no where near to being a master.

Also on the 1958 Virginia-North Carolina Match, Bloodgood was placed
on board 20.

In the 1958 Newport News Invitational, a relatively strong tournament,
Bloodgood scored 1.5-8.5. David Shook, an 1800 player, won with 8.5 -
1.5, although he lost to Bloodgood with his only loss and Bloodgood's
only win.

All this is reported in the April 1, 1958 issue of the "Virginia Chess
News Roundup", edited by Leonard Morgan of Roanoke. I may have the
only copy left of this publication.

Old December 18th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 18, 3:14*pm, samsloan wrote:

Also, some of the lines are so bad that a beginner would be
embarrassed to play them.

Here is one, from what you call the "ebook".

1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 e5 3. e4 dxe4 4. Bxe4 Nf6 5. f3 Nxe4 5. fxe4 Qh4+

The ebook recommends against this line for White.

How much would someone be willing to pay for this analysis?

I have the book now. I just received it and the line above
*1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 e5 3. e4 dxe4 4. Bxe4 Nf6 5. f3 Nxe4 5. fxe4 Qh4+ is
indeed on page 23.

Bloodgood's weakness as a player is obvious. For example, he gives the
line 1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 c6 3. g5 as playable.

I have a little secret to reveal to you. Bloodgood was a Class-B
player.

Then if Bloodgood was so weak and the book is so bad, why reprint
it?
Old December 18th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 18, 4:21*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:
On Dec 18, 3:14*pm, samsloan wrote:

Also, some of the lines are so bad that a beginner would be
embarrassed to play them.

Here is one, from what you call the "ebook".

1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 e5 3. e4 dxe4 4. Bxe4 Nf6 5. f3 Nxe4 5. fxe4 Qh4+

The ebook recommends against this line for White.

How much would someone be willing to pay for this analysis?

I have the book now. I just received it and the line above
*1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 e5 3. e4 dxe4 4. Bxe4 Nf6 5. f3 Nxe4 5. fxe4 Qh4+ is
indeed on page 23.

Bloodgood's weakness as a player is obvious. For example, he gives the
line 1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 c6 3. g5 as playable.

I have a little secret to reveal to you. Bloodgood was a Class-B
player.

* Then if Bloodgood was so weak and the book is so bad, why reprint
it?

The simple answer is it is a rare book in high demand.

If you doubt this, try buying one and see what happens.

Old December 18th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

[...]

Since, by your own admission, it's a bad book by a bad player, I'll
pass.
Old December 18th 09, 10:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

[...]

That does not matter. What does matter is that the book is impossible
to find and people want it.

I am thinking of publishing more books about Hitler, by the way.

Sam
Old December 18th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

[...]

Yep, people like that are born every minute.