Old December 19th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default I am reprinting "The Tactical Grob" by Claude Bloodgood

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:46:09 -0800 (PST), Taylor Kingston
wrote:

On Dec 18, 5:23*pm, samsloan wrote:

There are many books written by very weak chess players that
nevertheless are good books.

Sure. For example, Edward Winter is probably not much of chess
player, but he's a good chess historian.

For that matter, how strong was H.J.R. Murray?

However, that's completely
beside the point at issue. Name one good opening manual written by a
very weak player.

The book Zuke 'Em and a follow-up volume were evidently written by
someone below Expert strength, but they've received pretty good
reviews. I haven't looked at them, however.

In the past, opening books that were essentially collections of games
from master practice might have been of some value, but with the
database software and collections available today, there wouldn't be
much point to 'em.
Old December 19th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 19, 10:24*am, samsloan wrote:
On Dec 19, 7:58*am, ChessFire wrote:

On Dec 16, 1:40*pm, sd wrote:

Why reprint a book when it can be had for free as an e-book:

http://www.chessville.com/downloads/ebooks.htm

A free version of CB on any computer will read the files nicely, and
the text - or most of it - appears to be contained within as well,
unlike many CB e-books.

It would be easier to approve of Sam's copying if he added significant
new material (not just an new Introduction or Foreword, by way of
which he thinks he is getting away with something) or perhaps trying
to reprint all three major Grob books with a concordance. Or updating
it based on the others. Just annofritzing Bloodgood's analysis could
prove interesting, but no, Sam just wants to photocopy someone else's
work and sell it as his own. If his plagiarism was a bit more
creative, it might be tolerable.

I could have pointed it but I think we all went through this before
with another, I Am Photocopying A Book and Selling It episode

The Tactical Grob would actually be more useful if it were updated
into say, short-algebraic - and better diagrams offered. As for the
Sutton Coalfield address, that was the HQ of the British Chess
Federation. I used to have a copy of Grob's book while in England. I
don't know if it has any advantages over Basman's title - I don't
think so.

Phil Innes

My books are not photocopies. They are very high resolution 600 dpi
scans. They usually look better than the original, as they are then
cleaned.

Digital copies.

It was suggested that I enhance the book by adding my own games with
the Grob plus Fritz analysis. I have rejected that I idea because the
importance to the Bloodgood is that it is by Bloodgood. I will not
pollute it with anybody else's stuff.

Indeed! Why pollute the Bloodgood material with how to play it, or
play against it? That would occasion a real book.

I cannot improve on the diagrams in the book because they are very
high quality. What is amazing is that the book was written while
Bloodgood was in prison on Death Row. B. H. Wood must have done
substantial work on it, just re-typing and setting it and creating the
diagrams.

Why is that amazing?

Was the full name of B. H. Wood Baruch H. Wood?

Baruch Harold Wood.

How strong was he as a chess player? By the way, I played him once.

My Cornish team captain PH Clarke was assessed as an IM, Wood was not
quite so strong as Peter, but at least a strong master.

I played Wood's daughter a couple times, result 50% score against her.
Wiki Says:

Wood's daughter Margaret (Peggy) Clarke won the British Girls'
Championship in 1952, 1955, and 1956, and was the joint British
Ladies' Champion in 1966.[7] Her husband Peter Clarke is a full-time
chess player and writer, who finished second in the British Chess
Championship five times, represented England in the Chess Olympiads
seven times, wrote five chess books, and was the Games Editor of the
British Chess Magazine.[8] Woods' sons Christopher, Frank and Philip
are also strong chess players.

In our youth we didn't pay much attention to titles or elos. Michael
Adams was also a 'student' under PH Clarke, and when I asked him who
influenced him, what influence training etc, he got from Clarke, etc,
he told me if a long weekend was to be a student, then that was all.
Otherwise the guy did it by his own bootstraps, as we all did then.

Phil Innes

Old December 20th 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Taylor Kingston wrote:
..
Seriously, Sam: Do you ever actually think before you write? Or are
you just some sort of random verbiage generator?

I'd describe him as your typical 'diarrhist' actually...

m.
Old December 20th 09, 10:28 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Taylor Kingston wrote:

Seriously, Sam: Do you ever actually think before you write? Or are
you just some sort of random verbiage generator?

He thinks long and hard. Or does he think he's long and hard?
Old December 20th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 19, 12:05*pm, None wrote:
On Dec 19, 10:21*am, Taylor Kingston
wrote:

*Seriously, Sam: Do you ever actually think before you write? Or are
you just some sort of random verbiage generator?--TK

What else would you expect from someone whose chess library is
apparently 20 or 30 books by Eric Schiller?

I realize that I can expect nothing much from None, but what is this
comment about "someone whose chess library is apparently 20 or 30
books by Eric Schiller?".

Old December 20th 09, 10:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 18, 2:40*pm, samsloan wrote:
On Dec 18, 4:21*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:

On Dec 18, 3:14*pm, samsloan wrote:

Also, some of the lines are so bad that a beginner would be
embarrassed to play them.

Here is one, from what you call the "ebook".

1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 e5 3. e4 dxe4 4. Bxe4 Nf6 5. f3 Nxe4 5. fxe4 Qh4+

The ebook recommends against this line for White.

How much would someone be willing to pay for this analysis?

I have the book now. I just received it and the line above
*1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 e5 3. e4 dxe4 4. Bxe4 Nf6 5. f3 Nxe4 5. fxe4 Qh4+ is
indeed on page 23.

Bloodgood's weakness as a player is obvious. For example, he gives the
line 1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 c6 3. g5 as playable.

I have a little secret to reveal to you. Bloodgood was a Class-B
player.

* Then if Bloodgood was so weak and the book is so bad, why reprint
it?

The simple answer is it is a rare book in high demand.

If you doubt this, try buying one and see what happens.

Sam Sloan

Sam, do you remember WHY the USCF forms pulled your thread. This is a
prime example WHY they pulled it.

The simple answer is it is a rare book in high demand.

If you doubt this, try buying one and see what happens.

Sam Sloan

High DEMAND by WHOM?!? Or are just try to create more BUZZ for this
worthless book you want to reprint?!? Please tell us who is
"demanding" this book that you what to rip off and "re-print".
Old December 20th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 18, 3:04*pm, samsloan wrote:

wrote:

[...]

* Since, by your own admission, it's a bad book by a bad player, I'll
pass.

That does not matter. What does matter is that the book is impossible
to find and people want it.

I am thinking of publishing more books about Hitler, by the way.

Sam

A "rare book" is one that is collectible. I seriously people are
"demanding" this book. If a bad book is impossible to find, then may
it remain lost. How about YOU WRITING a book of your own on the
opening and use it as one of you references -- Oh I forgot: that
sounds too much like WORK. You'd rather reprint an obscure poorly
written book that multiplies the errors found in the book so you can
make a quick buck.
Old December 20th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer

ChessFire wrote:
..
When I interviewed Michael Adams a few years ago he said 'you know,
I'm studying this really old book written in descriptive notation',
and I didn't say anything since at the time of buying my first chess
books algebraic notation hadn't been invented. At least I never saw it
deployed anywhere.

Does anyone actually know who originated and popularized it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp_Stamma
Old December 21st 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 19, 9:53*am, ChessFire wrote:

When I interviewed Michael Adams a few years ago he said 'you know,
I'm studying this really old book written in descriptive notation',
and I didn't say anything since at the time of buying my first chess
books algebraic notation hadn't been invented. At least I never saw it
deployed anywhere.

Does anyone actually know who originated and popularized it?

One can find references to algebraic notation in various 19th-
century works. One example is "The Modern Chess Instructor" by
Steinitz (1889) which discusses the "German algebraic system of
notation" on pages xvi-xvii.
Therefore, unless our Phil is much older than he lets on, he's quite
incorrect to say "at the time of buying my first chess books algebraic
notation hadn't been invented." But then, being incorrect is hardly a
new experience for Innes.
Old December 21st 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 18, 5:40*pm, Chris Falter wrote:

A bump for Sam. Still interested in your opinion on this, Sam.

question from a few days ago that Sam has not yet answered

Sam, your most recent comment on Bloodgood is as follows:

"Bloodgood's weakness as a player is obvious"

But earlier, in another thread, you advanced a different opinion:

"Claude Bloodgood...through hard work and diligent study
of chess, achieved a USCF rating or 2702, only to have it taken away
from him through a vile conspiracy by USCF insiders jealous of his
achievements."

What caused you to change your opinion? *And do you think that maybe
the accusation of a vile conspiracy was a bit hasty?

/question from a few days ago that Sam has not yet answered

Best regards,

Chris Falter