Old December 13th 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default USCF Forum Moderators Block Discussion of Out of Print Chess Books

The USCF Forum Moderators have just blocked all discussion of an old
out-of-print chess book.

I have started a thread over there about that. It is only a question
of time before they pull that thread too.

Therefore I am posting some of the thread here so it will still be
available even after it is pulled there.

Old December 13th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mottershead
Sam, old chess books do not seem like they
are on-topic in the "USCF Issues" forum. All Things Chess is the
only USCF forum where such discussion would seem to be on-topic.

However, since you are often seeking to discuss old chess books that
have been recently re-published by your book pubishing business, posts
from you about them would seem to violate strictures against using
these forums for advertising. That would make posting of topics
about those books, at least by you, out of bounds in all the various
forums on this server. Perhaps you should purchase an ad on this
website for the books you publish?
Bases on your lengthy comments, I suspect that you never read or saw
the thread in question. You should try to avoid commenting on subjects
you know nothing about, if that is possible.

This was not about a book I had published or reprinted. It was about a
book by a deceased chess player who had achieved a USCF rating of
2702, the second highest rating in the history of the USCF, and even
higher than the USCF rating Fischer had at his peak.

This person had been accused of ratings fraud and special USCF rules
has been put in place as a result. Thus, it was clearly a USCF Issue.

I started this thread to gather information about this person and his
book plus information about the "ratings fraud" charge.

What is especially disturbing is that there were two very useful and
informative postings about this person by Boris Bishop. These postings
contained information not available anywhere else. By deleting the
entire thread, this information has been lost.

So, again, I am asking the question: Is there any rule against
discussing old out-of-print chess books? If there is such a rule,
which rule is it?

Or, is there simply a rule against postings by Sam Sloan?

Old December 13th 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

BrianLafferty wrote:

artichoke wrote:Is advertising allowed for someone else's
products but not for one's own? There's a thread up that is talking a
lot about Amazon Kindle, and some posts in there seem designed to
promote the product in my opinion.

We are allowed to discuss products on the USCF forums. That type
of discussion generally belongs in All Things Chess, but on occasion
it is a valid discussion for Issues. That is because, in this
instance, we are discussing products/technology that may be used by
the organization to promote itself with the public.

You, on the other hand, are trying to promote your product here
which is not permitted as a member. If you were to put a link in your
signature to your web site that sells/advertises your books, that
would probably be fine. Ask the management.

Brian Lafferty

As usual, Mr. Lafferty knows nothing of the subject of which he is
speaking.

I was not promoting any product of mine.

If you claim otherwise, what is the product?

Are we not allowed to discuss Robert Snyder here because he has ten
books he wrote available on Amazon?

Are we not allowed to discuss chess games played in a tournament
organized by Bill Goichberg?

My question that started the current thread is what is the rule that
prohibits discussion of out of print chess books.

Old December 13th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Dec 13, 11:24*am, samsloan wrote:

I started this thread to gather information about this person and his
book plus information about the "ratings fraud" charge. --SS

Was this Jude Acer or Kevin Bachler you were writing about?

Old December 13th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPGriffin76
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
player who had achieved a USCF
rating of 2702, the second highest rating in the history of the USCF,
and even higher than the USCF rating Fischer had at his peak.
I don't have a strong opinion or comment about the 'discussion...
prohibition' issue here. But I must correct what I am certain is a
mistake in your statement (excerpted above). Bobby Fischer's peak
USCF rating was 2810, a number that many of us remember with high
precision. Significantly higher than 2702, in other words. And I
don't even have to look that up.

Another... canard? I'm willing to assume, instead, that it was
just an honest mistake. It's likely, given your relatively high USCF
number, that you're simply too young to remember this fact.

T. P. Griffin
Please do look it up, if you can.

The claim is made that Fischer was not a USCF Member.

If he was not a member then he did not have a rating.

On the other hand, if he had a rating why is it not listed on the MSA?

Old December 13th 09, 04:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mottershead
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Mottershead
Sam, old chess books do not seem like they are on-topic
in the "USCF Issues" forum. All Things Chess is the only USCF forum
where such discussion would seem to be on-topic.

However, since you are often seeking to discuss old chess books that
have been recently re-published by your book pubishing business, posts
from you about them would seem to violate strictures against using
these forums for advertising. That would make posting of topics
about those books, at least by you, out of bounds in all the various
forums on this server. Perhaps you should purchase an ad on this
website for the books you publish?

Brian Mottershead
Based on your lengthy comments, I suspect that you never read or saw
the thread in question. You should try to avoid commenting on subjects
you know nothing about, if that is possible.

This was not about a book I had published or reprinted. It was about a
book by a deceased chess player who had achieved a USCF rating of
2702, the second highest rating in the history of the USCF, and even
higher than the USCF rating Fischer had at his peak.

This person had been accused of ratings fraud and special USCF rules
have been put in place as a result. Thus, it was clearly a USCF Issue.

I started this thread to gather information about this person and his
book plus information about the "ratings fraud" charge.

What is especially disturbing is that there were two very useful and
informative postings about this person by Boris Bishop. These postings
contained information not available anywhere else. By deleting the
entire thread, this information has been lost.

So, again, I am asking the question: Is there any rule against
discussing old out-of-print chess books? If there is such a rule,
which rule is it?

Or, is there simply a rule against postings by Sam Sloan?

Sam Sloan
If this book is not one that you have published, then the anti-
advertising rules don't apply. However, it does not seem on-topic in
the USCF Issues forum, notwithstanding whatever run-ins the author may
have had with the USCF over the years regarding allegations of rating
fraud, etc (Unless that is a subject of the book.) You should ask
about the book in the All Things Chess forum.

Brian Mottershead
It is amazing how Brian Lafferty and Brian Mottershead both jump into
this discussion, even though obviously neither of them read the thread
in question.

Had they read the thread they would have known that virtually the
entire discussion was not about the book or the contents thereof, but
rather about the ratings fraud charge, his protests that he was not
guilty of the charges, his rise to become the number two rated chess
player in the USA and his background and history including his non-
chess activities.

It was similar to the discussion we have been having about Robert
Snyder without mentioning that Snyder is the author of ten highly
acclaimed and widely and currently advertised chess books.

There was nothing in the thread that can be considered in even the
remotest way to be an advertisement.

So, therefore, I am asking if there is a rule against discussing old
out-of-print chess books.

Old December 13th 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPGriffin76
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
Please do look it up, if you
can.
Sam Sloan
Very quickly, here are several references (from bios/ obits/ blogs),
and others are likely easily found as well.

http://www.chess.com/article/view/bi...-bobby-fischer
http://www.chess-poster.com/great_players/fischer.htm
http://wizbangblog.com/content/2008/...dead-at-64.php
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/503224
"Bobby Fischer still has the highest ever United States Chess
Federation (USCF) rating at 2810."

As you can see, some of these sources even suggest a USCF peak of
2825. The number I remember so well is the 2810, which was perhaps
his final official USCF rating. Either way, your suggestion that it
was lower than 2702 is flawed.

T. P. Griffin
I am well aware that it is often said that Fischer achieved a rating
of 2810.

However, I am not sure if this was an official USCF Rating published
in Chess Life.

I do not know the answer to this question. I am wondering if you know.

Old December 13th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Dec 13, 11:33*am, None wrote:
On Dec 13, 11:24*am, samsloan wrote:

I started this thread to gather information about this person and his
book plus information about the "ratings fraud" charge. --SS

Was this Jude Acer or Kevin Bachler you were writing about?

No. It was Claude Bloodgood who, through hard work and diligent study
of chess, achieved a USCF rating or 2702, only to have it taken away
from him through a vile conspiracy by USCF insiders jealous of his
achievements.

Old December 13th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Dec 13, 11:23*am, samsloan wrote:
The USCF Forum Moderators have just blocked all discussion of an old
out-of-print chess book.

I have started a thread over there about that. It is only a question
of time before they pull that thread too.

Therefore I am posting some of the thread here so it will still be
available even after it is pulled there.

Sam Sloan

I twice responded to Sam Sloan's REQUEST FOR INFORMATION in the USCF
Issues forum. He referred to Claude Bloodgood's book The Tactical
Grob. I understand, from this Usenet thread, that he DOES NOT HAVE
the book and that he is LOOKING FOR INFORMATION. In my first response
I suggested that Bill Wall's book was more reliable than Bloodgood's,
and that Michael Basman's book would vertainly be more reliable.

along with my INFORMATIVE response), I told him how to use
bookfinder.com with Grob as a keyword rather than a title in order to
obtain maximum information. My posting is no longer there.

One can also use zvab.com, a German site, to find Grob's Angriff by
Henry Grob.

I haven't heard recently from chess book dealer Dale A. Brandreth,
P.O. Box 151, Yorklyn, Delaware. He can perhaps provide further leads
if Sam is feeling rich enough to buy.

I believe I have the books by Bloodgood (bought in what the English
called a "lucky dip") and by Grob (found at a library book sale) but I
do not know where they are because my surroundings are in disarray.

David Ames
Old December 13th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

samsloan wrote:
On Dec 13, 11:33 am, None wrote:
On Dec 13, 11:24 am, samsloan wrote:

I started this thread to gather information about this person and his
book plus information about the "ratings fraud" charge. --SS

Was this Jude Acer or Kevin Bachler you were writing about?

No. It was Claude Bloodgood who, through hard work and diligent study
of chess, achieved a USCF rating or 2702, only to have it taken away
from him through a vile conspiracy by USCF insiders jealous of his
achievements.

Sam Sloan

Oh, please. Bloodgood used a flaw in the system to create a fraudulent
rating vis-a-vis his real ability. The guy was a sociopath who happened
to be a decent chess player.