Old December 14th 09, 12:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default CHESS SUCCESS SECRETS

Being that it is Christmas time, there is Spam circulating about a
book called CHESS SUCCESS SECRETS.

As I recall this was shown to be merely the reprinting of an old Fred
Reinfeld book.

However, I cannot find the name of the Reinfeld book because all
reputable dealers have deleted or removed all references to CHESS
SUCCESS SECRETS.

Does anybody know the original source or anything about this case?

The new spam announces that CHESS SUCCESS SECRETS is now available as
an ebook for only $27.77.

That is a lot to pay if the same book in its original paper form is
available for only two or three dollars as a used book.

Old December 14th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 14, 7:19*am, samsloan wrote:
Being that it is Christmas time, there is Spam circulating about a
book called CHESS SUCCESS SECRETS.

As I recall this was shown to be merely the reprinting of an old Fred
Reinfeld book.

However, I cannot find the name of the Reinfeld book because all
reputable dealers have deleted or removed all references to CHESS
SUCCESS SECRETS.

Does anybody know the original source or anything about this case?

The new spam announces that CHESS SUCCESS SECRETS is now available as
an ebook for only $27.77.

That is a lot to pay if the same book in its original paper form is
available for only two or three dollars as a used book.

If this is what I think it is, the Reinfeld book is "The Complete
Chess Course," aka "The Complete Chess Player" (1959). It combined
eight earlier Reinfeld books ("The First Book of Chess" through "The
Eighth Book of Chess") into a single volume. It is indeed still easy
to come by; I've seen it offered in hardcover on abebooks.com for as
little as $1.45.
The mysterious seller of the e-book used to post his spam here. At
first he didn't even bother to reword the original Reinfeld blurbs,
thus making it obvious he was peddling a rip-off.
Old December 14th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Taylor Kingston wrote:
[...]

The combined book is still in print.
Old December 14th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Dec 14, 5:19*am, samsloan wrote:
Being that it is Christmas time, there is Spam circulating about a
book called CHESS SUCCESS SECRETS.

As I recall this was shown to be merely the reprinting of an old Fred
Reinfeld book.

However, I cannot find the name of the Reinfeld book because all
reputable dealers have deleted or removed all references to CHESS
SUCCESS SECRETS.

Does anybody know the original source or anything about this case?

The new spam announces that CHESS SUCCESS SECRETS is now available as
an ebook for only $27.77.

That is a lot to pay if the same book in its original paper form is
available for only two or three dollars as a used book.

Sam Sloan

Perhaps you might enlighten us with a REASON you are so interested in
this book?? Perhaps -- let me guess -- you yourself were interested in
ripping off -- sorry "re-printing" -- this book for your selfish
gains.

That would be the ultimate hoot: Sam Sloan got scooped by someone else
and re-printed some book before it showed up on Sam's radar screen.
I'm curious Sam, If you think 27.77 is too much for the ebook, how
much would you charge us if it had been you who had re-printed the
book?

Way too funny: someone else beat Sam out of re-printing a book.