Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old December 27th 09, 12:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 98
Default SD says chess players in small states are UNEDUCATED

That takes the cake on dumb analogies.

Amount of education, amount of free income, access to large cities,
all influence chess playing, whereas the EC just reflects population,
not the make-up of that population. If I took more than 5 minutes, I
could think of many other reasons.

You just want to bitch.

The above quote is from SD!

My argument was, the reason that small states and modest states do not
have a large population of chess players was the reason that there is
nothing of big prize tournaments within their state that holds and
maintain a chess population. SD argument is, they have a lack of
education, a lack of free income, and the chess players in small and
modest states lack the ability to live in cities.

Let us study the analogy of SD. Why people that live in small states
lack an education, have less free income and lack the ability to visit
a large city. SD, please explain your analogy.
  #2   Report Post  
Old December 27th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
sd sd is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 922
Default SD says chess players in small states are UNEDUCATED

On Dec 27, 6:50*am, Forsythe wrote:


Let us study the analogy of SD. Why people that live in small states
lack an education, have less free income and lack the ability to visit
a large city. SD, please explain your analogy.


You were specifically discussing Mississippi, which would fit the
above (but it is your statement, not mine), but you really need to
learn to read.

My statement was and you even quoted it:

Amount of education, amount of free income, access to large cities,
all influence chess playing.......

That does not translate to "SD says players in small states are
uneducated." It may be true that people, in general, in some states
have "less education" than those in others, making them "less
educated" which is not the same thing as "uneducated." You on the
other hand do appear uneducated, and come from a state with a
relatively good educational system in many parts of the state. Go
figure. There probably is someone in Mississippi with a third grade
education who would understand all this better than you apparently
ever could.

I am sorry, but you have reached your troll limit and will receive no
further response from me. If you could be a fun troll, like Phil, it
might be worth it. But your bumbling is too heavy-handed.

  #3   Report Post  
Old December 27th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 3,390
Default SD says chess players in small states are UNEDUCATED

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 05:19:35 -0800 (PST), sd
wrote:


I am sorry, but you have reached your troll limit and will receive no
further response from me. If you could be a fun troll, like Phil, it
might be worth it. But your bumbling is too heavy-handed.


Be charitable. It's possible Phil's more bizarre posts reflect an
attempt to be devious, while Forsythe gamely tries to figure things
out and he's banging up against his limitations.
  #4   Report Post  
Old December 27th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,073
Default SD says chess players in small states are UNEDUCATED

On Dec 27, 10:40*am, Mike Murray wrote:
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 05:19:35 -0800 (PST), sd
wrote:

I am sorry, but you have reached your troll limit and will receive no
further response from me. If you could be a fun troll, like Phil, it
might be worth it. But your bumbling is too heavy-handed.


Be charitable. *It's possible Phil's more bizarre posts reflect an
attempt to be devious, while Forsythe gamely tries to figure things
out and he's banging up against his limitations.


I think Phil bangs against his limitations again and again. His
attempts to be devious fool no one for that reason.
  #5   Report Post  
Old December 28th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 98
Default SD says chess players in small states are UNEDUCATED

Sd, you say a lack of education, and a lack of an education is an
uneducated person. The reason I used the state of Mississippi, is not
because of their lack of education, their level of being rural than
urban. The primary reason as the population of chess players within
that state are very limited compared to the population level. With
current members and has played within the last year. Mississippi has
less than seventy members over a 1000 rating, Alabama has less than
two hundred members over a 1000 rating, and Louisiana has less than
one hundred and eighty members over a 1000 rating. The reason I made
the choice to use these states, as they are between Florida and Texas.
With Texas, it has less than one hundred and sixty members above
2000.With Florida it has less than one hundred and twenty members
above 2000.

There has to be a rational reason why some states are developed and
other states are so underdeveloped. And it is not because they are
uneducated, have a lack of free income, or they have a lack of urban
cities.




  #6   Report Post  
Old December 28th 09, 02:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Oct 2009
Posts: 112
Default SD says chess players in small states are UNEDUCATED

On Dec 27, 7:13*pm, Forsythe wrote:
Sd, you say a lack of education, and a lack of an education is an
uneducated person. The reason I used the state of Mississippi, is not
because of their lack of education, their level of being rural than
urban. The primary reason as the population of chess players within
that state are very limited compared to the population level. With
current members and has played within the last year. Mississippi has
less than seventy members over a 1000 rating, Alabama has less than
two hundred members over a 1000 rating, and Louisiana has less than
one hundred and eighty members over a 1000 rating. The reason I made
the choice to use these states, as they are between Florida and Texas.
With Texas, it has less than one hundred and sixty members above
2000.With Florida it has less than one hundred and twenty members
above 2000.

There has to be a rational reason why some states are developed and
other states are so underdeveloped. And it is not because they are
uneducated, have a lack of free income, or they have a lack of urban
cities.


Maybe because the players in these states know chess is just a ****ing
GAME and don't care to spend hours at the board trying to improve so
the quiet, smelly 45-year old guy over in the corner who lives with
his parents and took the bus to the tournament hall thinks they're
"pretty good" at pushing little pieces of wood accurately across a
checkerboard.

Something tells me "Forsythe" is that smelly guy.
  #7   Report Post  
Old December 28th 09, 10:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 98
Default SD says chess players in small states are UNEDUCATED

On Dec 27, 9:50*pm, Matt Nemmers wrote:
On Dec 27, 7:13*pm, Forsythe wrote:



Sd, you say a lack of education, and a lack of an education is an
uneducated person. The reason I used the state of Mississippi, is not
because of their lack of education, their level of being rural than
urban. The primary reason as the population of chess players within
that state are very limited compared to the population level. With
current members and has played within the last year. Mississippi has
less than seventy members over a 1000 rating, Alabama has less than
two hundred members over a 1000 rating, and Louisiana has less than
one hundred and eighty members over a 1000 rating. The reason I made
the choice to use these states, as they are between Florida and Texas.
With Texas, it has less than one hundred and sixty members above
2000.With Florida it has less than one hundred and twenty members
above 2000.


There has to be a rational reason why some states are developed and
other states are so underdeveloped. And it is not because they are
uneducated, have a lack of free income, or they have a lack of urban
cities.


Maybe because the players in these states know chess is just a ****ing
GAME and don't care to spend hours at the board trying to improve so
the quiet, smelly 45-year old guy over in the corner who lives with
his parents and took the bus to the tournament hall thinks they're
"pretty good" at pushing little pieces of wood accurately across a
checkerboard.

Something tells me "Forsythe" is that smelly guy.


You can make fun of these people and you can make fun of me. It does
not come up with a rational answer to the problem.

When I was an organizer, my theory was that one day tournaments
support the weekend tournaments just as the weekend tournaments
supported the one day tournaments. Whatever reason that someone wanted
to play a local one day tournament, some were interested to sharpen
their chess skills, some to sandbag their rating, some to get practice
games because they were rusty. The weekend tournaments supported the
one day tournament, as someone that started with a provisional rating
would be interested to get their rating established with a hope their
rating would increase with the help of the one day tournament. The
other reason the weekend tournament supported the one day tournament,
if the player felt confident with their result they would be very
interested to play in tournaments to get a bigger bang with their USCF
membership.

One day tournaments and, the weekend tournaments become redundant if
the population base is small. Players know each other, they played
each other a number of times, and they just lose interest to give each
other their strongest ability to win a game. What boosts the whole
community would be a major USCF championship tournament like the US
Open. Still, a major CCA tournament that happens each and every year
within a state keeps the players interested in chess. The money
tournaments keeps the players aggressive, it keeps them interested in
one day tournaments and the weekend tournaments that happens.

If the CCA just dissolved without anyone that takes their place. The
states with the big population that once had CCA tournaments will see
a fast decline in their population than the states that never was part
of that community.
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are some good beginner books? John Salerno rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 17 August 24th 08 11:26 PM
First Draft: Blue Book Encyclopedia of Chess samsloan alt.chess (Alternative Chess Group) 8 February 29th 08 03:55 PM
First Draft: Blue Book Encyclopedia of Chess samsloan rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 4 February 16th 08 03:46 PM
Chess Book Artificer rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 6 March 13th 06 12:46 AM
rec.games.chess.misc FAQ [2/4] [email protected] rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 0 March 7th 06 05:30 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017