Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 1st 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 98
Default 2010 35 years after Fischer

The year 2010 will be the 35 th anniversary of Robert Fischer
resigning or being stripped of his title in 1975. During the 1960ís
and somewhat during the early 1970ís, America had a very active youth
movement then it does today. Example, the 1968 and 1972 Presidential
elections, when the youth had a impact with the election.

Even if we go down to the early age of 15 during 1975 as being part of
the Fischer era, in 2010 that era will be 50 and older. With the USCF
Executive Board, and the Delegates of the USCF, how many are 50 and
older. On the other hand, how many are under the age of 50, or, under
the age of 35.

When the 2020ís start in ten years, the Fischer ear will turn into
their 60ís and older: This becomes a question, during the 2010ís, who
is going to be interested in being a tournament director, an
organizer, a delegate and even on the USCF executive board that are
now under 50 and more so with someone under the age of 35.
  #2   Report Post  
Old January 1st 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,073
Default 2010 35 years after Fischer

On Jan 1, 1:07*pm, Forsythe wrote:
The year 2010 will be the 35 th anniversary of Robert Fischer
resigning or being stripped of his title in 1975. During the 1960ís
and somewhat during the early 1970ís, America had a very active youth
movement then it does today. Example, the 1968 and 1972 Presidential
elections, when the youth had a impact with the election.

Even if we go down to the early age of 15 during 1975 as being part of
the Fischer era, in 2010 that era will be 50 and older. With the USCF
Executive Board, and the Delegates of the USCF, how many are 50 and
older. On the other hand, how many are under the age of 50, or, under
the age of 35.

When the 2020ís start in ten years, the Fischer ear will turn into
their 60ís and older: This becomes a question, during the 2010ís, who
is going to be interested in being a tournament director, an
organizer, a delegate and even on the USCF executive board that are
now under 50 and more so with someone under the age of 35.


Who gives a ****?
  #3   Report Post  
Old January 1st 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Nov 2007
Posts: 232
Default 2010 35 years after Fischer

As one who is younger than the Fischer years, and old enough to do
something else, y'all are not keeping up.

Know who excites me?

Kasparov, Nakamura, and Carlsen.

And Anand and Kramnik and Topolov.

And it has been that way for A LONG time. It is time for YOU to give
up the past, and instead of looking for another Fischer, and instead
start promoting the game as it is now.

This is all a tired argument, and merely continues to show a complete
failure of marketing and understanding.

Chessplayers are almost exactly the last people that should be left in
charge of Chess.

  #4   Report Post  
Old January 1st 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 98
Default 2010 35 years after Fischer

On Jan 1, 3:33*pm, johnny_t wrote:

Chessplayers are almost exactly the last people that should be left in
charge of Chess.


Johnny

What I was talking about is the current leadership of the USCF that
came from the Fischer era and still holds the power and authority. Not
talking about the Fischer era that ended in 1975 and was dead when
Fischer died in 2007.

What I am talking about, the vast majority of chess players are over
the age of 50 with a much smaller age group in their 40ís with a
smaller still age group in the age group in their 30ís.

As I see it, you are a teenager. If the level of decline gets worse,
we could or already be in a era that more members over the age of 50
leave the USCF because of DEATH than members over the age of 50 join
for the very first time. Since the leadership of the USCF is over the
age of 50, during the 2010ís more will die and in the 2020ís even a
higher percentage will die.

With the members that are in their 20ís and in their 30ís right now,
have a smaller population then members in their 50ís and 60ís now. How
I ask, can the USCF be around with tournaments at its present level,
when more organizers, tournament directors, and even delegates start
to DIE OFF.

Who knows, maybe it would be time for change when more delegates DIE
at a higher rate than people willing to be a delegate in the first
place.

  #5   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Nov 2007
Posts: 232
Default 2010 35 years after Fischer

On 1/1/10 1:51 PM, Forsythe wrote:

Johnny

What I was talking about is the current leadership of the USCF that
came from the Fischer era and still holds the power and authority.


And you seem to miss my point entirely. While not quite 50, and you may
choose to make that a teenager in USCF years (whatever), the problem is
that these currently in power and authority, are collectively, the
biggest group of idiots ever in charge of anything.

While there is a world wide resurgence in Chess, from scholastic, pro,
online, technical sponsorship and money, only the USCF, who seem to be
run by old, daft idiots, that simply do not serve the constituency, tax
them mercilessly, and are surprised when it falls apart.

It doesn't matter that it's old people. The fact that there is a
burgeoning scholastic industry should be a HUGE opportunity, while all I
hear is various ways of tax it till it dies.

Not, how do you service it? If it wasn't what was done last year,
nobody would have any effing idea what to do this year.

I suppose this is just the wistful thinking of a teenager.

Everyone in charge is so bad at this, they will take the word of a
Vietnamese escapee that he is the best marketer in the world, and simply
cross their fingers. FFS.


  #6   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 98
Default 2010 35 years after Fischer

On Jan 1, 8:29*pm, johnny_t wrote:
On 1/1/10 1:51 PM, Forsythe wrote:

Johnny


What I was talking about is the current leadership of the USCF that
came from the Fischer era and still holds the power and authority.


And you seem to miss my point entirely. *While not quite 50, and you may
choose to make that a teenager in USCF years (whatever), the problem is
that these currently in power and authority, are collectively, the
biggest group of idiots ever in charge of anything.

While there is a world wide resurgence in Chess, from scholastic, pro,
online, technical sponsorship and money, only the USCF, who seem to be
run by old, daft idiots, that simply do not serve the constituency, tax
them mercilessly, and are surprised when it falls apart.

It doesn't matter that it's old people. * The fact that there is a
burgeoning scholastic industry should be a HUGE opportunity, while all I
hear is various ways of tax it till it dies.

Not, how do you service it? *If it wasn't what was done last year,
nobody would have any effing idea what to do this year.

I suppose this is just the wistful thinking of a teenager.

Everyone in charge is so bad at this, they will take the word of a
Vietnamese escapee that he is the best marketer in the world, and simply
cross their fingers. *FFS.


Agree with you that the USCF is controlled by old men that will stay
around till they toss dirt on their graves. Still, with these old men,
they gained political power with performing cost prohibitive
tournaments and cost prohibitive building of the scholastic community.
Good example is President Berry that spent thousands of dollars to
conduct title tournaments in Oklahoma.

Now, with chess players under the age of forty, how many of these
chess players are willing to dump thousands of dollars into chess that
produces nothing but goodwill of the organizer or tournament director.
Then, with that goodwill seek political power. Now, you have people in
political power because they conducted cost prohibitive chess
activities. Why should you expect they would agree to accept or
perform in a manner that is not cost prohibitive with USCF money?

Second, the USCF does not really have money to develop chess itself
with new members. What it builds itself on, is the foundation of chess
clubs, tournament organizers, tournament directors. It is these
people, that are doing it in a cost prohibitive manner that produces a
higher level of memberships and renewal of memberships.

What you are going to see in the 2010ís, is less local tournaments,
less development of chess clubs, which will take effect in smaller
cities across the nation.
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Was Bobby Fischer the Greatest Player Ever? samsloan rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 280 January 31st 09 04:24 PM
Robert James Fischer Dead at 64 RookHouse rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 19 January 19th 08 11:29 PM
bbc - Chess legend Fischer dies at 64 s76fitz rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 0 January 18th 08 09:11 PM
Robert James Fischer Dead at 64 [email protected] rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 2 January 18th 08 03:15 PM
Bobby Fischer has been reinstated in the USCF [email protected] rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 2 August 27th 06 01:58 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017