Old February 2nd 10, 07:02 PM posted to alt.architecture,soc.culture.usa,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Samuel Sloan Architect of Philadelphia 1815-1884

Samuel Sloan Architect of Philadelphia 1815-1884

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=0923891641
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923891641

Foreword by Samuel H. Sloan

I first became aware of this book in 1986 when I was in the New York
Public Library and I decided to search to see if they had any books
written by me, Sam Sloan.

I entered my name, Samuel Sloan, into the library search engine and up
popped a book entitled “Samuel Sloan: Architect of Philadelphia
1815-1884” by Harold N. Cooledge.

I had never heard of this book or of this person before, so naturally
I requested that the library let me see this book.

The introduction contained the family history of Samuel Sloan. What
immediately popped out of the pages was that Samuel Sloan had a son
named Howard Sloan (1849-1875) and a brother named Wesley Sloan
(1821-1904). My name is Samuel Howard Sloan and my brother is named
Creighton Wesley Sloan. Also, our grandfather, Howard Creighton Sloan
(1873-1940), was born in Philadelphia.

These coincidences of names and place convinced me that we were
related to that Samuel Sloan, the Architect of Philadelphia.

Accordingly, I wrote a letter to Harold N. Cooledge, who was an Alumni
Professor of Art and Architectural History at Clemson University in
South Carolina. He replied immediately and said that he agreed that we
were almost certainly related. He wrote that he had placed my letter
in the university archives pertaining to Samuel Sloan, the Architect.

Since then, my DNA has been tested. My DNA has been shown to be a
nearly perfect match with Ronald Scott Sloan, the grand nephew of
Samuel Sloan, the Architect. Here is a comparison of our DNA alleles.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...xed_columns=on

I am number 13599. Here are the results of my 37-allele marker test.

13599 Sloan R1b1c
13231410111512121213132918910111125151930131315171 11019231615181838391212

What this means is that I am a member of the R1b1c haplogroup. This is
the most common group for Ireland and England. There is one other
Sloan who has almost exactly the same generic profile as me. Ronald
Scott Sloan is number 39388. He is reported to have died in 2006 in
Colorado. However, his name does not appear on the Social Security
Death Index.

I researched his genealogy and found that he is a descendant of
William Sloan, who was born in 1780 in Philadelphia. William Sloan was
married twice and had ten children, eight sons and two daughters. The
most famous of his sons was Samuel Sloan (1815-1884), author of the
book “The Model Architect”, which I have reprinted.

What we have is a similarity of names, the fact that all of these
people lived in Philadelphia and a near-perfect DNA match. This leads
me to the conclusion that one of the seven other sons of the William
Sloan who was born in Philadelphia in 1780 could be my great-great
grandfather.

The Sloan Family Genealogy Group is led by Frank Mitchell of Panama
City, Panama. He believes that Alexander Sloan (1734-1812) is the
grandson of Archibald Sloan (1697-1764). Archibald Sloan is believed
to be the “Scotch-Presbyterian ancestor” referred to above. It appears
that Archibald Sloan is the founder of the large group of Sloans
centered in Philadelphia.

Since my grandfather, Howard Creighton Sloan (1842-1916) also came
from Philadelphia, this would make me a distant cousin of Sam Sloan,
the architect.

This was confirmed by a DNA test done by Family Tree DNA dot com.
Their testing concluded that I was related to Ronald Scott Sloan who
is known to be a descendant of Archibald Sloan.

In order to be more certain that I am related to Sam Sloan, the
Architect, it is necessary to find a direct male line descendant of
him. Samuel Sloan, the architect, had four children, two boys and two
girls. However, DNA genealogical testing is only useful for male-line
ancestors because only males have a y-chromosome.

Samuel Sloan, the architect, had four children, but so far as we have
been able to find, only one of them married or had children. That was
Ellwood Pennell Sloan, who was born in 1846 and died in 1912. He
married Laura M. McCaskey who was born in 1850 and died in 1917. They
had three children, Maurice McCaskey Sloan, born June 20, 1873, Helen
Sloan, born 1875-died 1928, and Samuel Alan Sloan, born May 19, 1878,
date of death unknown.

Maurice McCaskey Sloan married Jessica Carlotta Cramer on May 2, 1898.
However, we are unable to find any children for them. Samuel Alan
Sloan married Ann Thorn on October 4, 1904. They had a son, Samuel
Alan Sloan, Jr., born 1906. We have found no further conclusive record
of that Samuel Alan Sloan. There is a Samuel A. Sloan found in the
genealogical databases, but there is also a Samuel Anderson Sloan and
a Samuel Addison Sloan, so there is no way to be certain that this
Samuel A. Sloan is our relative.

Any research that anybody would be willing to undertake on these lines
would be appreciated.

The results of a recent, more sophisticated 67-marker DNA test have
come back and the result provided by Susan Sloan of Boston,
Massachusetts, who is the leader of the Sloan Family DNA Group, was
that I am closely related to a Canadian named William Hiram Sloan
(1818-1899). Egad! A Canadian!

His DNA test is based on a 67 marker test. Ronald Scott Sloan is dead
now and he was only tested on the 37 marker test, the most
sophisticated that existed at that time. Until his lab sample is
tested on the 67-marker test, it cannot be determined if he is more
closely related than the William Hiram Sloan above.

Here is the result of my 67-marker DNA test: With this information,
you can make a mini-me of me.

Sloan*R1b1b213231410111512121213132918910111125151 93013131517111019231615181838391212119151691010810 10122223161012121581222201412111311111212

Here is the result of the test for a descendant of William Hiram Sloan

Sloan*R1b1b213241410111512121213132918910111125151 93013151717111019231615181838381212119151691010810 10122223161012121581222201412111311111212

The most recent and most sophisticated tests are on the end of the
string. As you can see we are a perfect match at the end.

However, at first it seemed that we were not related at all. This was
because of a difference at the beginning of the string, which was one
of the earliest tests.

My string starts with
R1b1b21323

His string starts with
R1b1b21324

As you can see, the last number is different. In fact, almost all
Sloans start with 1324. Since mine starts with 1323, it seemed that I
was not related to these people.

However, as later test results came in, it became evident that the
result of the first test was just an aberration, most likely the
result of a recent mutation. Stated differently, I am a mutant !

Now, by way of comparison, here is the DNA string of a person who
bears the Sloan name and is also in the same Haplogroup with us, which
is Ribib2, but who is, we believe, either unrelated or very distantly
related to us:

Sloan*R1b1b213231411111412121213123017910111125151 92915151717111119221514181839411212119151681010810 10122325161012121581223201312111311111312

Now, compare his first 12 pairs of numbers to mine.

132314111114121212131230
132414101214131212131329

As you can see, 6 out of the 12 pairs of numbers are different between
him and me. So, we conclude that he is not a relative, except to the
extent that all humans are related to each other if you go back far
enough.

My great-grand father was Creighton Sloan (1842-1916). The 1860 Census
shows Creighton Sloan living in the 19th Ward of Philadelphia with
John Keitty or Reitty and his wife and two children in House 213
Family 236. The other possibility is that I am descended from a
different William Sloan who was born in Philadelphia in 1798 and was
married to his cousin Mary Sloan born 1806. They had ten children and
were likely the cousins of the other William Sloan. It is also
possible that the William Sloan born in 1780 or his son, Wiliam Sloan
Jr., is the same person as the William Sloan born in 1798 and that he
had two families.

The DNA match plus the similarity in names and the same place,
Philadelphia, virtually proves that I am a relative of the Samuel
Sloan who is the author of this book.

If you want to get an idea of the importance of this book, just take a
walk around the older sections of your town and take a look at the
single family dwellings there.

What you will see, over and over again, is buildings that look exactly
like the drawings and designs in this book.

That is because this book was the most popular source for designs for
buildings throughout the latter half of the 19th century. Starting
from the date of its first publication in 1852, thousands of buildings
were built all across America copied directly from the designs and
floor plans in this book.

Even today, buildings could be built and perhaps are still being built
based upon these floor plans and designs.

There are hundreds of drawings in this book, each by Samuel Sloan
himself. These individual drawings were first published starting in
the 1840s and were then combined into a book. Volume One was published
in 1852 and Volume Two in 1853. Both books were reprinted many times,
with changes, additions and modifications.

Samuel Sloan (born March 7, 1815, died July 19, 1884) was the leading
Philadelphia-based architect of the mid-nineteenth century. Born in
Chester County, Pennsylvania, he has been characterized by his
biographer, Harold N. Cooledge, as "brash, opportunistic, inventive, a
quick learner and a driving worker who was hungry for success and who
had, throughout his life, an abiding belief in America's destiny."
Sloan came to Philadelphia in the mid-1830s and is said to have worked
on the Eastern State Penitentiary and the Pennsylvania Hospital for
Mental and Nervous Diseases. At first, he listed himself as a
carpenter in the Philadelphia City Directory. However, he styled
himself an architect from 1851, after winning commissions for the
Delaware County, Pennsylvania, courthouse and jail in 1849 and an
Italianate villa on the site of Bartram's Gardens in Philadelphia in
1850-51.

Early in his career, Sloan began to publish the series of books that
would make him the most prolific American author on architecture of
the mid-nineteenth century. The Model Architect began to appear in
1851 in parts and was published as bound volumes by E. S. Jones & Co.,
Philadelphia, in 1852 (volume 1) and 1853 (volume 2) later editions
appeared in 1860, 1868, and 1873.

He also wrote City and Suburban Architecture (Philadelphia,
Lippincott, 1859; later editions in 1867 and 1873) was followed by
Sloan's Constructive Architecture (Philadelphia, Lippincott, 1859:
later editions in 1866 and 1873), Sloan's Homestead Architecture
(Philadelphia, Lippincott, 1861: later editions in 1867 and 1870), and
American Houses, a Variety of Designs for Rural Buildings
(Philadelphia. Ashmead, 1861: later edition, 1868). In July of 1868,
Sloan began to issue The Architectural Review and American Builders'
Journal, the first architectural periodical to be published in the
United States. However, it ceased publication in 1870 after only three
volumes. Sloan reached thousands of potential customers through the
pages of Lady's Book which began to publish his designs in 1852.

Throughout the 1850s, Sloan was the architect of hospitals and
schools. He also designed buildings in Alabama, but managed to make it
back to Yankee Territory prior to the outbreak of the Civil War. A
political scandal relating to the Philadelphia City Hall competitions
in 1865 caused problems in his career, especially since so many of his
designs had been based on contracts awarded by the city, as he was the
city’s favorite architect.

In 1867, Sloan moved to New York. However, he soon returned to
Philadelphia and began “The Architectural Review”.

Sloan had considerable difficulty reestablishing his Philadelphia
practice in the 1870s. His entry in the first competition for the
design of the Centennial Exhibition of 1873 only won second prize, and
thus was never built. Therefore, he moved to North Carolina and
started building there. He designed the Western State Asylum for the
Insane at Morganton (1875) and was awarded other commissions in North
Carolina, until he died in Raleigh in 1884 in the middle of a
construction project.

SLOAN, Samuel, architect, born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, 7
March, 1815 ; died in Raleigh, North Carolina, 19 July, 1884. He
established himself in Philadelphia, and designed many important
buildings, among them the Blockley hospital for the insane in that
city, and the state insane hospital at Montgomery, Alabama He
conducted the "Architectural Review," beginning in 1868, and published
" City and Suburban Architecture" (Philadelphia, 1859) : "Constructive
Architecture " (1859); "Model Architect" (1860) ; and "Designs for
Rural Buildings" (1861).

The biography of Samuel Sloan, the Architect of Philadelphia, is
published in several places including the “Famous Americans” website:
http://www.famousamericans.net/samuelsloan/

"SLOAN, Samuel, architect, born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, 7
March, 1815 ; died in Raleigh, North Carolina, 19 July, 1884. He
established himself in Philadelphia, and designed many important
buildings, among them the Blockley hospital for the insane in that
city, and the state insane hospital at Montgomery, Alabama He
conducted the "Architectural Review," beginning in 1868, and published
" City and Suburban Architecture" (Philadelphia, 1859) : "Constructive
Architecture " (1859); "Model Architect" (1860) ; and "Designs for
Rural Buildings" (1861)."

Samuel Sloan, the architect, and his family are buried in Mount Moriah
Cemetery in Philadelphia, Lot 11 Sec 20. I have visited his grave. It
is located to the left side as you walk in, almost to the edge of the
cemetery.

Another factor is that there seems to be artistic talent in my family.
When I was a kid, I never attempted anything more than a simple stick
drawing, but two of my children are professional artists and both have
BA degrees in Fine Art from the State University of New York at
Purchase. Both graduated from the New York High School of Art and
Design. My son, Peter Sloan, has won numerous art awards, competitions
and scholarships, including a scholarship to Cooper Union. He is also
a rated chess master. Perhaps there is an artistic gene in my DNA.

Sam Sloan
New York
February 3, 2010

ISBN 0-923891-64-1
978-0-923891-64-0

ISBN 0-923891-85-4 978-0-923891-85-5 The Model Architect, Vol. 1

ISBN 0-923891-86-2 978-0-923891-86-2 The Model Architect, Vol. 2
Old February 2nd 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

The Sloan Family Genealogy Group is led by Frank Mitchell of Panama
City, Panama.

So, you and Rob may well be cousins or... ? When's the family
reunion?
Old February 4th 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Feb 2, 5:59*pm, Mike Murray wrote:
The Sloan Family Genealogy Group is led by Frank Mitchell of Panama
City, Panama.

So, you and Rob may well be cousins or... ? *When's the family
reunion?

Someone should sell tickets to this meeting!