Old March 3rd 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Karpov to challenge Ilyumzhinov

No one on the group seems inclined to discuss real chess politics news
so here is an item to stimulate such discussion.

http://tinyurl.com/ygwqzr5

"Anatoly Karpov will put forward his candidacy to become FIDE
President, according to reporters of Russian news agency SarInform.
“It is necessary to restore order,” the 12th World Champion reportedly
said yesterday.

Sunday night Anatoli Karpov landed at the airport of Saratov, Russia
for a simul and a meeting with the local governor. There, according to
local news agency SarInform, Karpov announced that he has the ambition
to become FIDE President.

“It is necessary to restore order,” Karpov was quoted. “The problems
with the World Championship, the calendar, changes of decisions,
changes during a cycle, this didn’t happen before. Besides, the
prestige of the World Champion should return to its old level.”"

Old March 3rd 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Mar 3, 2:19*pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

Karpov is not my favorite chess player, but I certainly hope he beats
Ilyumzhinov. It is a disgrace that the chess community has continued
to elect such a disreputable leader for these many years.

Jerry Spinrad
Old March 4th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

IS FIDE REFORMABLE?

It’s hard to think of an international organization more corrupt than
the United Nations; but FIDE, the world chess body, comes close.
American officials returned from the June election in Turin, Italy,
where the 37th Chess Olympiad was held featuring a record 150 men’s
teams.

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov won another term as president by a margin of 96-54.
It was a secret ballot, but why votes aren’t recorded openly on the
floor of the General Assembly escapes me. At any rate, Parr reported
how Kirsan rigged the election:

"Votes for Kirsan routinely cost about two to three thousand dollars
each. Payments were made half in cash beforehand and half in cash
after voting. Members of Bessel Kok’s team searched the ballot booths
very carefully in advance looking for cameras. They found none. THE
TRICK: Those who cast votes and received payment were required to take
a handphone with miniature camera capability into the booth and click
a picture of the ballot showing for whom they voted. These photos were
checked by Kirsan’s team, led by Giorgios Makropoulos, and the
bribetakers received the second half of their stipend. Members of our
FIDE "team" did not feel that we should know this, and they failed to
mention such inconvenient details of international chess
governance. Corrupt in warp, corrupt in woof.

"There are no denials from our FIDE team. Instead we are told that
America must go along to get along. There is basically nothing that
the FIDE leadership might do — murder, theft, bribery—that will
prompt our representatives to support Europe in the creation of a new
international chess organization."

"One figures that the current crew will sanitize it all. The editor
will follow orders right down the groove, no matter how Sovietized or
anitized the reporting that is required.

"If the editor deviates, he’s gone. The classic line of our FIDE team
over the years has been that there are lots of fine people in FIDE
with just a few bad apples. Nonsense. This last election featured open
paying of bribes, arrogant and arrant, smiles and open taking of
money. Dutch GM Jan Tinman added: 'Intimidation and bribery went much
farther then we had expected. People actually saw banknotes changing
hands, but how to prove what the money was for? Bessel Kok will drop
out after this adventure, this is sure.''

In an interview that took place in June 2007 British GM Nigel Short
opined: "As to chess politics: it is well known that I supported the
Right Move campaign of Bessel Kok in the last FIDE Presidential
election. I have come to the conclusion that FIDE is unreformable in
its current state and that corruption and incompetence are deeply
entrenched. Due to the manner with which this election was won, with
cash-stuffed envelopes being handed out to the more flexible
delegates, I cannot see myself
wishing to get involved again in such an ugly process for many years
to come. I will confine myself to rather more modest attempts to
promote chess throughout the
Commonwealth."

The chess Olympics is held every two years in a different city where
players compete and fraternize despite their nations’ conflicts and
squabbles. Computers that make the pairings are even programmed to
avoid matching antagonistic nations whenever possible. Mark Crowther
in The Week in Chess lamented: "At only 44 it’s possible we may have
another 30 years of Kirsan’s rule. Originally he was only supposed
to rule for two terms in Kalmykia, it now seems there is no end in
sight there either. My overwhelming feeling is that FIDE has been
bought and paid for by a maverick
who has no place being in charge of anything."

THIS CRAZY WORLD OF CHESS by GM Larry Evans

Old March 4th 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
sd sd is offline

On Mar 4, 10:38*am, " wrote:

money. Dutch GM Jan Tinman added:

What did GM Scarecrow have to say about all this?

Old March 4th 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

wrote:
On Mar 3, 2:19 pm, Steve wrote:
[...]

I heartily second the comments of Spinrad and Evans. Karpov is
hardly my notion of the ideal candidate, but he's vastly preferable to
Khan Kirsan.

Old March 5th 10, 01:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Karpov would be pretty good, although I like Kirsan.

What would Karpov if he had to terminate a match prematurely?
Old March 5th 10, 03:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Mar 5, 8:11*am, Offramp wrote:

Karpov would be pretty good, although I like Kirsan.

Good grief, why, Alan?

What would Karpov do if he had to terminate a match prematurely?

An interesting hypothetical. However, the way they set up WCh
matches these days, with a fixed number of games followed by blitz
playoffs if necessary, it's a decision he would not have to make.

Old March 5th 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

The Taylor has ruled. Please don't give him any **** over this ruling.
Old March 5th 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Mar 4, 6:38*pm, " wrote:

Karpov is not my favorite chess player, but I certainly hope he beats
Ilyumzhinov. It is a disgrace that the chess community has continued
to elect such a disreputable leader for these many years.

I realized by implication what is being discussed is Karpov 'beating'
Kalmykia's dictator at the ballot box, not over the board, which would
be no contest (Karpov would win), though Ily* is supposedly not that
bad a player (even aside from the propaganda he puts out extolling
himself as a strong player).

RL
Old March 5th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On 5 Mar, 15:11, Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Mar 5, 8:11*am, Offramp wrote:

Karpov would be pretty good, although I like Kirsan.

* Good grief, why, Alan?

He is a buddhist.