Old March 26th 10, 08:57 PM posted to talk.politics.libertarian,alt.politics.libertarian,nyc.politics,ny.politics,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Redlich Advocates spending billions of dollars on New Mass TransitSystems

Apparently Warren Redlich had forgotten that he is also campaigning
for the Libertarian Party nomination when he wrote this:

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Dru...081228-37.html

Drunk Driving: Rail vs. Jail

By Warren Redlich

For OpEdNews: Warren Redlich - Writer

Drunk driving has been a hot topic in politics for the last couple of
decades. Under pressure from groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving
(MADD), criminal prosecution of DUI cases has grown harsher. DUI
enforcement is expensive. Mass transit would be far more effective at
reducing drunk driving and provides a variety of other benefits.

Recent years have seen some high-profile DUI cases, including
Congressman Vito Fossella's arrest in Virginia, and Paris Hilton's
jail visit in Los Angeles. The blood-alcohol content threshold has
gone from 0.10 to 0.08, and in many states a new offense has been
added for high BACs, such as Aggravated DWI in New York and Extreme
DUI in Arizona. Plea bargaining restrictions have also gotten more
stringent. On top of all that, governments spend significant money
advertising the criminal consequences of drunk driving.

The truth is that criminal enforcement does not work adequately as a
deterrent. Many people continue drinking and driving. Humans have had
problems with alcohol for thousands of years. Combine that with the
fact that alternatives to driving are inadequate in most of the US,
and it's not surprising that the problem has not gone away.

As a nation we spend billions on DWI enforcement. This includes police
salaries and equipment, prosecutors, court staff, jails, probation
officers and more. Those billions would be better spent on increased
mass transit, which would provide a genuine alternative to driving.

I lived in Hiroshima in the mid-1990s. There is a section of the city
named Nagarekawa. It is home to thousands of bars but has very little
parking available. In the US, many municipalities require bars to have
ample parking for customers. Nagarekawa has numerous mass transit
options nearby, including a trolley car, bus lines, and a train
station. Japan's mass transit system is so thorough I lived well
without owning a car. I don't recall ever hearing about a drunk
driving problem there. Statistics indicate less than 1000 drunk
driving deaths a year there, versus nearly 15,000 in the US. With a
bit less than half the US population, the per capita drunk driving
death rate in Japan is in the ballpark of one-tenth of ours.

Imagine living in a medium-sized metropolitan area. Picture a night-
life district with a variety of bars and other entertainment options.
How are people who go to these bars going to get home?

Now imagine that there are multiple transit options in this location
reaching within a mile or so of 90% of the residents, and within a
half-mile of 50% of the residents. Of course this will not take all
drunk drivers off the road. If it takes only 25% of them off the road
it will do more to reduce drunk driving deaths than what we're doing
now.

Of course, mass transit has many other benefits. It doesn't just
reduce drunk driving deaths, but all kinds of traffic accidents. It
also helps the economy and reduces consumption of fossil fuels. A well-
designed system changes growth patterns, reducing sprawl as the
population spreads along the rails more than the roads.

So what's it going to be America--more rails or more jails? Next time
you hear a politician talk about being tough on drunk driving, tell
them you want mass transit.

www.redlichlaw.com
Warren Redlich is a lawyer, web entrepreneur, and politician in
Albany, New York.
Warren founded The Redlich Law Firm in 2003 as a solo practitioner.
Due mainly to the success of the firm's website, the firm has grown
and now includes four attorneys.
Old March 26th 10, 11:40 PM posted to talk.politics.libertarian,alt.politics.libertarian,nyc.politics,ny.politics,rec.games.chess.politics

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Warren Redlich
wrote:

Are you saying that in your campaign for the Libertarian Nomination
for the Governor of New York State, you are dis-avowing the statements
you are making in other forums for different purposes.

Do not you think you should be held responsible for all your
statements, not just your statements to us Libertarians?

Tom, I'm not saying that. If I wanted to run from past statements, I would
have deleted them from my blog posts.

I'm saying that my campaign is focused on certain issues. I talk about them
on my campaign website.

You, on the other hand, have no campaign website. Instead of campaigning on
your issues, you seem to be campaigning against me.

So are you doing this to further your non-campaign or just to hinder mine?

Let us know Sam.

Warren

Since I have been a member of the Libertarian Party off and on since
the very beginning in 1973 and since I have posted thousands of times
not only on Libertarian groups but on chess groups, math groups and
various other general interest groups, my views are well known. Also,
my views have not changed. I have held the same views since I was a
teenager.

You on the other hand are not a member of the Libertarian Party and we
know virtually nothing about you. I am sure that several party members
who have favored you until now will be shocked to learn that you want
billions spent to build new mass transit systems and the money to get
these billions will be obtained by giving free land to corporations
who will build shopping malls on the free land that the State of New
York will give them, which will entitle them to charge a special sales
tax on the money spent at the shopping malls built on the free land
that the State of New York will give them.

You have not gone to the next stage which is to answer where this free
land will come from but it seems obvious that it will come from
eminent domain seizure of the land belonging to private parties.

Now, you say that these statements which are on your website are not
part of your campaign for the Libertarian Party Nomination. When will
they become part of your campaign? The Libertarian Party has already
been burned several times when candidates seeking our nomination have
made a few libertarian sounding statements only to have it turn out
that they were completely anti-Libertarian once they got our
nomination.

Will you be another one of those cases?

Old March 27th 10, 01:06 PM posted to talk.politics.libertarian,alt.politics.libertarian,nyc.politics,ny.politics,rec.games.chess.politics

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Warren Redlich
wrote:
Tom,
It's a choice between one candidate who has a campaign, and another who has
none.

You have persistently refused to identify what you're doing. Because you're
not doing anything, right?

Instead of running a positive campaign, you're just hysterically attacking
me, misstating my positions, etc.

What will your campaign look like? When?

Have you been in a newspaper? On TZ? Interviewed on the radio? Are any
bloggers talking about you? Do you have a campaign website? A facebook page
or group?

Why are all your messages against me instead of for yourself?

You are campaigning primarily for the Republican nomination. Other
than your one speech to the Manhattan Libertarian Party, I am not
aware of any effort you have made to get the Libertarian Party
nomination.

On the other hand, I am campaigning ONLY for the Libertarian Party
nomination.

My issues are well known:

Legalize all drugs although I may only mention marijuana which is the
most popular issue right now.

Abolish all laws against victim-less crimes

Release on parole most if not all persons incarcerated for victimless
crimes such as mere possession of illegal substances.

Greatly reduce government spending

Eliminate New York State Income taxes

Abolish all rent regulation especially rent control

So, I have a fairly wide campaign platform, all of it consistent with
Libertarian principles whereas I have yet to see any positions taken
by you that can be regarded as Libertarian other than a vague general
statement to "stop wasteful spending" (so that the money can be spent
on a huge new mass transit system).