Old April 10th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.kids,rec.games.chess.politics

Default Jefferson Airplane and Chess

On Apr 10, 6:16*pm, samsloan wrote:
On Apr 10, 12:31*pm, krammi1
wrote:

Hello ,
I just heard the song "White Rabbitt" from Jefferson Airplane *(sung
by Grace Slick) .
The text is obviously refferring to L. Carroll's *"Alice in
Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" *and especially the
"chessmen" are mentioned ..

Are there any other pop songs known that allude *to the game of chess
(of course the well known
musical "Chess" excluded ..) *?

regards , *Claus vdV

Thank you so much for bringing this up. That song by Grace Slick is
mentioned on the last page of my book, "Alice in Wonderland Made
Simple for Kids".

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo.../dp/0923891919

In this book, I completely re-wrote Alice in Wonderland using only
easy words a 6-8 year old can read and understand.

I have also just reprinted the original book "Alice Through the
Looking Glass".

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo.../dp/4871873048

Surprisingly, "Alice Through the Looking Glass" was virtually
impossible to obtain prior to my reprint except in vastly modified and
changed form.

There are other new versions of "Alice Through the Looking Glass" but
they often include a sexy, mod, hip Alice, not to mention the drug
addicted Alice.

Old April 11th 10, 10:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.kids,rec.games.chess.politics

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo....asp?ISBN=0923....

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo....asp?ISBN=4871....

Surprisingly, "Alice Through the Looking Glass" was virtually
impossible to obtain prior to my reprint except in vastly modified and
changed form.

There are other new versions of "Alice Through the Looking Glass" but
they often include a sexy, mod, hip Alice, not to mention the drug
addicted Alice.

Sam Sloan

A rather strange comment, even for Sam. I doubt the books hae ever
been out of print in our lifetimes. Leaving aside, the Disney dreck,
Amazon lists at least ten editions in print (I stopped counting). My
copy, with both books annotated by Martin Gardner, is five or ten
years old. Of course, there's nothing wrong with Sam producing another
one. No copyright problems, which is why I like to use Tenniel's
illustrations for clipart.
Old April 11th 10, 10:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.kids,rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:

[...]

Which you have is "The Annotated Alice" by Martin Gardiner.

That is the book that started my interest in Alice when I was a
teenager and interested in Mathematical Puzzles.

However, that is not the same thing as "Alice Through the Looking
Glass" even though is contains everything that "Alice Through the
Looking Glass" contains.

Imagine that you want to obtain "Alice Through the Looking Glass" just
so that your 8-year-old daughter can read it. Where else would you
find it?

Old April 11th 10, 10:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.kids,rec.games.chess.politics

On 11 Apr, 10:31, samsloan wrote:

Imagine that you want to obtain "Alice Through the Looking Glass" just
so that your 8-year-old daughter can read it. Where else would you
find it?

I have a recent Folio Edition; they brought out the two books
seperately.
Old April 11th 10, 01:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.kids,rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:

[...]

Almost every factual statement that Sloan makes is wrong. Recently his
pronouncements, in particular on public policy, have become so absurd that
there is no hope of distinuishing the real jerk from the fake.

Which you have is "The Annotated Alice" by Martin Gardiner.

The author's name is Gardner.

That is the book that started my interest in Alice when I was a
teenager and interested in Mathematical Puzzles.

Very unlikely, since Gardner wrote three very different versions, each
superseding the predecessor: 1960, 1990, 1999.

However, that is not the same thing as "Alice Through the Looking
Glass" even though is contains everything that "Alice Through the
Looking Glass" contains.

The title is not "Alice through the Looking Glass" but "Through the Looking
Glass".

Imagine that you want to obtain "Alice Through the Looking Glass" just
so that your 8-year-old daughter can read it. Where else would you
find it?

In practically any bookstore or on the internet in any one of dozens of
editions. Prices beginning at $0.01.

Sam Sloan

Any normal 8-yr-old can read "Alice in Wonderland" if
provided with a couple of explanations for obsolete Victorian
expressions. Of course, that doesn't mean that Sloan's children
can understand it.

Old April 11th 10, 01:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,misc.kids,rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:

[...]

Nonsense.

There are other new versions of "Alice Through the Looking Glass" but
they often include a sexy, mod, hip Alice, not to mention the drug
addicted Alice.

Very appropriate. Pedophile Sloan ripping off the works of pedophile
Lewis Carroll. Google "Lewis Carroll" + Photography if you think
this slur is unjustified.