Old July 10th 11, 01:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.usa,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Mit Hitler im Westen by Heinrich Hoffmann

The book is out now, for all you Hitler lovers out there.!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/487187883X
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=487187883X

On Jun 25, 10:00*pm, samsloan wrote:
Mit Hitler im Westen or Hitler in the West
by Heinrich Hoffmann

foreword by Field Marshall Wilhelm Keitel
Afterword by Sam Sloan

I discovered this book by accident. I was researching the biography of
Heinrich Hoffmann (1809-1894), the author of children's books, because
The Ishi Press was reprinting Der Struwwelpeter, ISBN 4-87187-306-4,
an illustrated book portraying children misbehaving.

While looking for that Heinrich Hoffmann, I found another Heinrich
Hoffmann, who was also an author. That Heinrich Hoffmann (born
September 12, 1885 in Fürth – died December 11, 1957 in Munich) was a
German photographer best known for his many published photographs of
AdolfHitler.

The cover of this book show****lerposing in front of the Eiffel
Tower in Paris on June 28, 1940. German troops had entered Paris on
June 14, 1940 and France had surrendered toHitleron June 25, 1940. I
had always thought thatHitlerhad entered Paris with his troops. In
reality,Hitlerhad flown in, essentially as a tourist. He stayed only
three hours and then flew back to Germany, never to return.

The Heinrich Hoffmann (1885-1907) who was a photographer wa****ler's
official photographer. He was never implicated in any war crimes. To
the contrary, he and his son, Heinrich Hoffmann, Jr., assisted the
prosecutors in the Nuremberg War Crimes Trials by providing
photographs that were used in the trials.

This book includes a foreword by Field Marshall Wilhelm Keitel.
Wilhelm Bodewin Gustav Keitel (22 September 1882 – 16 October 1946)
was a German field marshal (Generalfeldmarschall). As head of the
Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (Supreme Command of the Armed Forces) and
de facto war minister, he was one of Germany's most senior military
leaders during World War II. At the Allied court at Nuremberg he was
tried, sentenced to death and hanged as a major war criminal.

This book was apparently the last of a series of photographic books
about the war by Heinrich Hoffmann (1885-1907). It glorifies the
victory by Germany over France. It is probably the last thing that
happened that Germany felt the right to be glorified about, because
reverses started to follow.

In spite of the great photographs that this book contains, it has
never been reprinted. An interesting legal question concerns whether
it can be reprinted. Holocaust denial is said to be illegal in German.
Is the publication of anything that glorifies the accomplishments ofHitlerillegal in Germany? I do not know the answer to that question.
That is why I am asking it.

In America, the situation is a bit less murky. All German copyrights
were declared invalid under the Trading With the Enemies Act. This put
Dover Publications in business. Until 1941, Dover Publications was a
simple mom-and-pop shop. Realizing that all German publications had no
copyright as far as US law was concerned, the company published its
first book, Tables of Functions with Formulas and Curves, when the
German copyright was voided by the United States as a result of World
War II. From this modest beginning, Dover became a million dollar
publishing company.
A little appreciated fact about AdolphHitleris he was an avid
painter. Prior to World War I, he made his living at least in part by
painting and selling water colors and sometimes oils. He is believed
to have painted and sold more than 600 water colors. After he became
ruler of Germany, he ordered sub-ordinates to locate and buy these
paintings back. After the World War II was over, the US Army
discovered a trove of these paintings and, fearing that they would
fall into the hands ofHitler-nuts, who would have paid millions of
dollars for them, they were shipped to the USA, where they were placed
under guard in the National Archives. (This would make the great plot
for a movie or a video game we should make some day. A gang of robbers
breaks into the National Archives just to get theHitlerwatercolors
and sell them toHitlerscrewballs.)

The Family of Heinrich Hoffman, the photographer, owned the rights to
at least some of the water colors and photographs and sold these
rights to a Texas speculator named Billy Price, for a nominal amount
plus a cut of the proceeds. Price then demanded that the United States
of America hand over the water colors and the photographs. When the
USA refused to comply with this demand, Price and Hoffmann sued the
USA. This case was pending before the United States District Court for
five years. Finally, the district judge ruled in favor of Price and
Hoffman and ordered the USA to pay them nearly $8 million in damages.
However, the United States Court of Appeals overturned this decision
on the grounds of the Trading with the Enemies Act and the fact that
the US government had seized the paintings in a foreign country,
namely Germany, so US tort law did not apply.

A large issue concerns the propriety of reprinting a book that
glorifie****ler, as this book does. I can assure the reader that I am
not aHitler-nut. However, I must also assure the readers that there a
lot ofHitler-nuts out there. During my visit to Russia for the 2010
World Chess Olympiad in Khanty-Mansiysk, a Russian girl (who was not a
chess player, by the way) told me “Hitlerhad the right idea”.

Nobody in America would make such a statement publicly, but there are
no doubt some who say such things in private.

Books like this one need to be preserved and studied, not because we
worshipHitler, but because we need to anticipate and prevent the next
one. Not to beat about the bush, we must wonder: Can this happen
again? Could and will anotherHitlerarise, perhaps not in Germany
again? Perhaps in the United States of America? What assurance do we
have that a lunatic madman could not enter the White House and do much
worse thanHitlerever did?

One possible US Presidential candidate shows signs of possibly having
the inclination to become the nextHitler. Also, one of the candidates
of the last election made a speech in which he stated repeatedly “I
Hate War”. Fortunately , it seems that the voters figured out that the
fact that he had to state “I Hate War” meant that he was planning one,
especially since he sung a song saying “"Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb
Iran” to the tune of the 1965 Beach Boys hit "Baa Baa Baa Baa Barbara
Ann". Singing a song about bombing and killing innocent people may
have contributed to his election defeat, but the person who was
elected instead has proven hardly better. I know that I voted for him
because I thought he was going to withdraw from Iraq. We are still in
Iraq and it looks like we will be there for a long time to come.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Sam Sloan
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * San Rafael, California
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * June 25, 2011

http://www.amazon.com/dp/487187883Xh...SBN=487187883X

Old July 10th 11, 10:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.usa,rec.games.chess.misc

NONE is Stan Booz, a 1601 rated chess player.

http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlMain.php?12601714

Why does he keep doing this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/487187883Xh...andnoble.com/b...

Old July 10th 11, 02:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.israel,soc.culture.usa,rec.games.chess.misc

On Jul 10, 8:56 am, None wrote:
On Jul 9, 10:21 pm, None wrote:

On Jun 29, 7:07 pm, None wrote:

Spam, spam, spam, spam,,,,,,,,, spam

Are you doing this because you are biased against Hitler?