Old March 1st 04, 01:53 PM
Will McGugan

Default Acrimony on this group

I have been stunned at the amount of bickering and general acrimony on chess
news groups, and other forums. I see posts clearly designed to offend, and
others responding to them - creating absurd flame wars. It seems to me that
there is such a low signal to noise ratio that those who want to use these
groups for productive discussion struggle to be heard.

Im a casual chess player myself. Never played competitively, nor have I been
rated. Games are fun and exchanges are always polite and friendly, so I dont
fully understand the need for all the cattiness

Its actually kind of interesting from a psychological point of view. Perhaps
it has something to do with the way that chess is highly combative but
doesn't allow for any physical release.

Looking forward to any responses to this post, flames or otherwise..

Regards,

Will McGugan
http://www.chesscommander.com

Old March 1st 04, 02:29 PM
RSHaas

" Perhaps it has something to do with the way that chess is highly combative
but
doesn't allow for any physical release." (WMcG)
================
It has nothing to do with chess per se. The same behavior is seen on other
forums. I think most of us have a slightly different persona face to face than
our online persona.

RSHaas
Old March 1st 04, 02:51 PM
Angelo DePalma

Will,

Newsgroups are to communication what burping is to a Verdi opera. NGs are
self-selective for misfits, blowhards, and malcontents. It's the nature of
the medium.

Angelo

.. .

Old March 1st 04, 04:25 PM
Linares_Lulls

And you are a perfect case in point you dumb piece of **** wop *******!

Old March 1st 04, 05:29 PM
The Masked Bishop

What isn't stunning is yet another newbie marching in, adopting the calm
voice of reason, remarking in shock at all the flaming and screaming, and
then finishing up with his own bit of sermonizing.

In this instance, instead of the usual "oh my god, the flames!" followed by
the "you are all losers" summation, we get an armchair shrink positing that
because chess doesn't involve throwing balls around, we are all emotionally
frustrated and thus vent our spleens upon each other here.

Sorry, Mr. McGoogle, you're wrong. But you're clever little pose isn't
fooling anyone...you're flaming anyone in range in your own manner, just
like everyone else here.* Welcome aboard.

The Masked Bishop

*Except for Lamarr Wilson, of course, Gentleman Chessplayer. He's just comes
here for the hale companionship of fellow chessplayers.

Old March 1st 04, 05:38 PM
Linares__Lulls

"The Masked Bishop" wrote in message
om...
What isn't stunning is yet another newbie marching in, adopting the calm
voice of reason, remarking in shock at all the flaming and screaming, and
then finishing up with his own bit of sermonizing.

In this instance, instead of the usual "oh my god, the flames!" followed

by
the "you are all losers" summation, we get an armchair shrink positing

that
because chess doesn't involve throwing balls around, we are all

emotionally
frustrated and thus vent our spleens upon each other here.

Sorry, Mr. McGoogle, you're wrong. But you're clever little pose isn't
fooling anyone...you're flaming anyone in range in your own manner, just
like everyone else here.* Welcome aboard.

For once, something sensible is emitted from the masked moron's keyboard!

Old March 1st 04, 06:31 PM
Angelo DePalma

Will,

There's another dynamic going on here that I forgot to mention. About 10% of
posters here (see responses to my first post to you) are deranged. They tend
to bring down the "average" conversation to gutter or street level. There
are also the "hot button" posters who flame everything certain people, e.g.
Sam Sloan, say, even when he's not responding to or engaging them in any
way, even when he posts that today, for example, is Monday. These people
lead horribly empty lives and have driven several thoughtful posters from
the newsgroup.

A lot of what you view as "bickering" is actually normal people who stoop to
respond to these lunatics. I have been guilty of this myself.

Angelo "Terminator" DePalma

Old March 1st 04, 10:22 PM
Linares__Lulls

"Angelo DePalma" wrote in message
Will,

There's another dynamic going on here that I forgot to mention. About 10%

of
posters here (see responses to my first post to you) are deranged.

Are there that many of you? Lets see, there is you, Bauer, Nemmers, ezoto,
and a few others......yeah, I guess that could be around 10%

Angelo "Ass-Licking Faggot" DePalma

Well, at least you're out of the closet. Thats more than I can say for ezoto
and Nemmers.

Old March 1st 04, 11:33 PM
Sara Walsh - PrincessChess

[...]

Well, there is always moderated forums to use instead. I realize that
both USCF and FIDE have their very bitter enemies on rgcp, but both
websites have moderated forums to discuss club and tournament issues
for those willing. http://www.uschess.org/forums/ is the link for
the USCF one.

Sara Walsh
Old March 1st 04, 11:36 PM
Angelo DePalma

I wonder why this poster and "Jane Adams" the transexual never appear
anywhere together. Could it be....??

news:[email protected]