Old March 2nd 04, 10:23 PM
Danny Purvis

Default Sam Sloan's "Hard Times in Tokyo"

It is interesting to compare Sam Sloan's screenplay "Hard Times in
Tokyo" with the movie "Lost in Translation". Both treat an American
traveler encountering Japan. The screenplay for "Lost in Translation"
recently won an Oscar, while Sam's screenplay has never found a
producer; nevertheless, Sam's screenplay has virtues that "Lost in
Translation" lacks. Most notably, Sam treats the Japanese people with
decency and respect, while "Lost in Translation" has a nasty,
demeaning edge. Indeed, much of the humor of "Lost in Translation"
derives from an orientation of smug superiority to an alien race, and
that orientation not only leaves the moviegoer feeling guilty and
unclean but also results in an abundance of wearisome cliches, such as
the recurring (and inaccurate) theme in the movie that the Japanese
are ludicrously short. The humor in "Hard Times in Tokyo", on the
other hand, is wild and fresh. "Hard Times" also has intelligence,
sexiness, and an engaging love interest, while "Lost in Translation"
is jaded, sexless and a failure, in my opinion, in its determined bid
to evoke romantic interest.

The two lessons I draw a (1) in the movie business connections mean
a lot, and (2) Sam Sloan is a talented, multifaceted, humanistic
fellow, just the kind of person we need on the USCF executive board.

Danny Purvis
Old March 3rd 04, 03:07 AM
The Masked Bishop

smug superiority to an alien race,

What, Klingons? Thank you, "Danny Purvis." There's the door, bore.

om...

Old March 3rd 04, 08:18 PM
Danny Purvis

"The Masked Bishop" wrote in message om...
smug superiority to an alien race,

What, Klingons? Thank you, "Danny Purvis." There's the door, bore.

Thanks, "Masked Bishop" (which I suspect is not your real name). I
would love to rebut your cryptic critique, but its ambiguous
laconicism makes it so difficult to interpret. No offense, but I am
leaning towards the interpretation that you are a moron. I hope you
play chess better than you write.

Danny Purvis
Old March 3rd 04, 10:35 PM
KJ2350

Thanks, "Masked Bishop" (which I suspect is not your real name). snip

What??? You mean I've spent the last month going through Illinois phone books
and calling all the "Bishop, M." numbers for nothing????

KJ

Old March 5th 04, 02:01 PM
Danny Purvis

"The Masked Bishop" wrote in message . com...
Given your "interpretation" of Sam Sloan and his artistry, it's impossible
TO take offense.

Good. I would hate to think that I had offended you. If your
mindless deprecation of Sam Sloan - a much better man than you -
prevented that from happening, so much the better.

Sloan is, at a minimum, always coherent. The stupidity of your
Klingon comment in your earlier post contrasts unfavorably. But go
ahead, prove me wrong, here is your second invitation to explicate.

I would also enjoy knowing why you put my name in quotation marks in
your first response. Again, I'm betting on stupidity.

Regards,

'"Danny Purvis"'
Old March 5th 04, 10:53 PM
StanB

"Danny Purvis" wrote in message
om...

Sloan is, at a minimum, always coherent.

You misspelled maximum.

StanB

Old March 6th 04, 12:44 AM
sandirhodes

"StanB" wrote
"Danny Purvis" wrote
Sloan is, at a minimum, always coherent.

You misspelled maximum.

Oh, I thought he misspelled 'never.'

Old March 6th 04, 05:56 AM
The Masked Bishop

Sam Sloan - a much better man than you

True, unlike Sam, I don't run a website featuring pictures of underage Asian
prostitutes that I've purchased. Guess I need to do that to be a better man.

I put your name in quotes because you clearly are confused, and not to be
taken seriously. But don't take my word for it. Continue advocating for a
Sloan USCF board candidacy, on the merits of his alleged screenplay writing
skills and his general character. Count your takers on no hands.

The Masked Bishop