Old March 4th 04, 03:46 PM
Ray Gordon

Default Copyrighting Of Chess Games

Are there any REALLY strong players who want this to happen?

If so, I'd be willing to hold a tournament and claim copyright to the games,
meaning that the players would get the revenue from the tournament e-book
(after my cut, of course), and the copyright would be enforced against
anyone who published the moves of the games (or positions) with any mention
of the players or the event.

This would be the correct way to resolve the issue. I would imagine that if
someone did this with a big tournament, the book from that tournament would
generate some decent sales.

Ideally, this tournament should consist of at least eight players from the
top 100 list.

--
Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers

Old March 4th 04, 05:01 PM
Jerzy

"Ray Gordon" wrote in message
Are there any REALLY strong players who want this to happen?

Sure. Haven`t you heard of Sveshnikov ?
I admit that it would be a blow for ICC because they have a free
transmission from major chess tournaments but it`s worth taking into
consideration.
There was a kind of different opinions during the last European Team
Championship in Plovdiv where organizers claimed that ICC illegally
transmitted the games from the event.

Ideally, this tournament should consist of at least eight players from

the
top 100 list.

It can consist of more players like e.g. in Wijk aan Zee.

Regards,
Jerzy

Old March 4th 04, 07:18 PM
KidDon

"Ray Gordon" wrote in message .. .
Are there any REALLY strong players who want this to happen?

If so, I'd be willing to hold a tournament and claim copyright to the games,
meaning that the players would get the revenue from the tournament e-book
(after my cut, of course), and the copyright would be enforced against
anyone who published the moves of the games (or positions) with any mention
of the players or the event.

This would be the correct way to resolve the issue. I would imagine that if
someone did this with a big tournament, the book from that tournament would
generate some decent sales.

Ideally, this tournament should consist of at least eight players from the
top 100 list.

___________________________
We've been over this before. The moves of the games (or positions),
even with mention of the players or the event, are not copyrightable.

see, e.g. http://www.ernietheattorney.net/erni...orting_ev.html

Kiddon
Old March 4th 04, 07:38 PM
Ray Gordon

That's a boxscore.

A chess score is more like a filming.

--
Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers

"KidDon" wrote in message
om...

.. .

Old March 4th 04, 07:49 PM
Fifiela

ErnieTheAttorney: Good Site! I've added it to my favorites.

Now if I only had time to read.....

Old March 4th 04, 08:10 PM
David Richerby

[ -- rgc.misc and rgc.politics ]

KidDon wrote:
"Ray Gordon" wrote:
Are there any REALLY strong players who want this to happen?

We've been over this before. The moves of the games (or positions),
even with mention of the players or the event, are not copyrightable.

see, e.g. http://www.ernietheattorney.net/erni...orting_ev.html

I don't think that's a very good reference as chess obviously isn't an
athletic sport.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Transparent Simple Wine (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a vintage Beaujolais but it has
Old March 4th 04, 08:35 PM
Chris Ball

On 04 Mar 2004, David Richerby said:

I don't think that's a very good reference as chess obviously isn't
an athletic sport.

rec.games.go has been discussing this recently. Some of the links that
came out of that discussion we

http://www.bcmchess.co.uk/britbase/about.htm: British Chess Magazine:
``Legally the actual moves of any game as played are considered to
be in the public domain and not subject to any copyright laws.''

http://senseis.xmp.net/?KifuCopyrightDiscussion:
``Games cannot be subject to copyright; being a product of conflict
(however we like to think of Go as an amicable conversation, it's
at least a heated debate), neither player can lay claim to ownership;
neither can it be claimed to be jointly owned, since the sides worked
at cross purposes and not with the intent of creating the end product.''

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html:
``Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of
operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.''

I think an interpretation as ``The actual moves of a game are in the
public domain; once someone has added value such as commentary to a
game, though, the new product can be considered copyrighted'' is sane.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/~cjb/
Inference Group: http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/is/
Old March 4th 04, 09:37 PM
Bo Persson

"David Richerby" skrev i meddelandet
[ -- rgc.misc and rgc.politics ]

KidDon wrote:
"Ray Gordon" wrote:
Are there any REALLY strong players who want this to happen?

We've been over this before. The moves of the games (or positions),
even with mention of the players or the event, are not copyrightable.

see, e.g.

http://www.ernietheattorney.net/erni...orting_ev.html

I don't think that's a very good reference as chess obviously isn't an
athletic sport.

No, but the similarities are that facts are not copyrightable. Any
recordings, transcriptions, or commentaries are copyrightable. The fact that
something did happen is not.

Some persons might be present. They could move some chess pieces. Maybe it
was a sunny day?

If you prepare a report on that, the report is protected by your copyright.
The fact that something actually did occur, is not.

Bo Persson

Old March 5th 04, 12:26 AM
John Fernandez

Are there any REALLY strong players who want this to happen?

Outside of Sveshnikov, there's little support for it. No one seems to be
willing to enter into legal contracts with every person they play.

John Fernandez
Old March 5th 04, 12:28 AM
John Fernandez

Sure. Haven`t you heard of Sveshnikov ?

Unfortunately, no one has heard of others.

I admit that it would be a blow for ICC because they have a free
transmission from major chess tournaments but it`s worth taking into
consideration.

Actually, I was with ICC when we looked into this. The claim is complete
bull****, and completely unenforcable.

There was a kind of different opinions during the last European Team
Championship in Plovdiv where organizers claimed that ICC illegally
transmitted the games from the event.

Yes, it's happened before (c.f. Brain Games World Championship). I haven't met
a serious lawyer knowledgeable about such matters that would dare suggest that
gamescores are copyrightable, simply because of the issue of shared copyright.

John Fernandez