Old March 5th 04, 03:15 AM
The Masked Bishop

Default March Chess Life -- worst ever?

Chess Life is sinking. The recent March issue was, in my opinion, one of the
worst written and edited that I can remember, and I've seen a few clunkers
in my day. Some random comments:

What's with this word "organs" repeated several times in the over-long
review of the Fischer book? Something got lost in translation, for
apparently the new Chess Life editor, who wrote it, doesn't speak English
very well. Seems like he meant something like "organizers," although since
he also uses that word he probably wanted something similar, but not quite
the same. Maybe before we are completely Balkanized, we could get a
native-English speaker on the staff?

Who is this Akobian? Could they make the picture a little bigger, maybe? I
mean, the retro 1950s yearbook shot is amusing, but come on, some kid makes
GM and the magazine goes bananas? And notice the complete lack of game
diagrams for the first 17 pages, including the entire Karpov article, the
ostensible cover story.

Meanwhile, the letters to the editor is dominated by one very long, tedious
and practically impossible to read math lecture about Fischerandom starting
positions, that was really an article, not a letter. Tacked on the end is
some small research query from a book writer, which should properly be in
the want-ads. Guess no-one is writing letters anymore, at least none the new
editor is willing to print (which is my suspicion).

I wish I could find something good to say about this issue, in the interests
of balance, but I can't; even the regulars were looking particularly
uninspired. Only the Polgar offering was up to standards. Rhodes "Game of
the Month" featured scads of variations but only two diagrams. Benko doesn't
even bother talking about endgames in his "Endgame Lab" anymore. Pando's
Solitaire Chess started on Move 14. As for Key Krackers, Postal Chess, and
Easy Does It, I'm guessing there's maybe 10 readers left for each of these
mummified offerings.

Bring back Kurzdorfer. Hell, bring back Peterson. Do something, because
this really sucks.

TMB

Old March 5th 04, 04:33 AM
RSHaas

"Chess Life is sinking. The recent March issue was, in my opinion, one of the
worst written and edited that I can remember, and I've seen a few clunkers
in my day." TMB
===============
Another reason to keep my $49 powder dry a while longer.

RSHaas
Old March 6th 04, 07:49 PM
Parrthenon

Is America full of whiners?

In my view, Chess Life is improving with each issue. And it now arrives on time
each month, but who sees fit to mention this fact?

-- Larry Parr
Old March 6th 04, 08:47 PM
Angelo DePalma

Indeed. I remember my grandmother telling me about how Mussulini always had
the trains running on time. Nobody ever gives the guy any credit for that
minor miracle.

Old March 6th 04, 10:04 PM
Angelo DePalma

My only comments on the new CL:

1. I see potential there, including in the new editor.
2. We should look into licensing content from other sources, as we do
("borrow" is a better word) from Baburin's Chess Today in the USCF
e-newsletter. Another idea is to outsource analysis/articles to non-US
writers.

And most important:

3. You guys have no idea how difficult it is to publish a magazine. Getting
a monthly issue out with limited resources is miraculous. I can only imagine
what those guys are working with. My hat is off to the CL editorial staff.

Angelo

m...

Old March 6th 04, 10:23 PM
The Masked Bishop

Larry, I'd love for you to cite some specific examples on how it is
improving. That, or contest my examples on how it's quickly sinking.

TMB

Old March 6th 04, 10:27 PM
The Masked Bishop

You guys have no idea how difficult it is to publish a magazine. Getting
a monthly issue out with limited resources is miraculous

Yes I do. I was the Editor-in-Chief of a monthly trade magazine in the
beauty products industry for two years. I wrote copy, solicited articles,
paid writers and photographers, worked on the layout, and haggled with the
printing people, every month. This isn't bull****, it's the truth. There's
nothing miraculous about running poorly-written articles in bad English or
compromising long-held standards (yes, even Chess Life has them) of layout
and content.

Given that the bulk of our membership fee (now $50) is credited over to the
magazine, I wouldn't call their resources limited. What is limited is the
abilities of their editor.

TMB

Old March 7th 04, 04:18 AM
Fifiela

I think it's imrpoving too. Kurtzdorfer (SP) was a disaster.
Old March 7th 04, 04:46 AM
Angelo DePalma

Dear Masked Bitch,

Your "beatuy" magzine obviously didn't cover good manners.

Extremely devotedly and in perpetuity,

Bore-Us Spasstic

om...

Old March 7th 04, 04:51 AM
The Masked Bishop

If it's bad manners to seriously criticize the atrocious state of the prime
amenity of my membership, then guilty as charged. This isn't some high
school production that deserves a pass for effort. While there are people on
this board who will forgive anything, and just keep writing the checks, note
that if things ever DO improve, it won't be because of anything they've
done.

That's the prime reason the USCF is in such trouble. Not the crummy
magazine, not the over-priced Goichberg fun fairs, not the lack of hot
chicks in chess--all this may contribute, but the real reason is the passive
membership. Entropy is a dominant force of nature, and things will fall
apart unless tended to. The USCF membership tends to nothing...they just
keep sending in the money and cluck at the bad manners of those who point to
the warts. Well, the magazine is now officially a wart.