Old October 17th 11, 04:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default International Chess Master Jay Whitehead Has Died

On Oct 17, 2:42*pm, micky wrote:

Currently, the New York Public Library consists of 87 libraries: four
non-lending research libraries, four main lending libraries, a library
for the blind and physically challenged, and 77 neighborhood branch
libraries in the three boroughs served. All libraries in the NYPL system
may be used free of charge by all visitors. As of 2010, the research
collections contain 44,507,623 items (books, videotapes, maps, etc.).
The Branch Libraries contain 8,438,775 items.[7]Together the collections
total nearly 53 million items, a number surpassed only by the Library of
Congress and the British Library.

(wiki)

.

Keep in mind many of the books in the branch libraries of the NY
public library are probably repetitive.

RL
Old October 17th 11, 10:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

raylopez99 wrote:

On Oct 17, 2:42 pm, micky wrote:

Currently, the New York Public Library consists of 87 libraries: four
non-lending research libraries, four main lending libraries, a library
for the blind and physically challenged, and 77 neighborhood branch
libraries in the three boroughs served. All libraries in the NYPL system
may be used free of charge by all visitors. As of 2010, the research
collections contain 44,507,623 items (books, videotapes, maps, etc.).
The Branch Libraries contain 8,438,775 items.[7]Together the collections
total nearly 53 million items, a number surpassed only by the Library of
Congress and the British Library.

(wiki)

.

Keep in mind many of the books in the branch libraries of the NY
public library are probably repetitive.

Good point! ... however, the most damning refutation is simply:

NYPL = 53 million (items)

Library of Congress = 130 million items

British Library = 150 million etc..

..
Old October 18th 11, 07:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Oct 18, 5:13*am, micky wrote:
raylopez99 wrote:

Keep in mind many of the books in the branch libraries of the NY
public library are probably repetitive.

Good point! ... however, the most damning refutation is simply:

NYPL = 53 million (items)

Library of Congress = 130 million items

British Library = 150 million etc..

I don't like it when you are polite to me, feels strange. Please mind
your manners.

RL

Old October 18th 11, 03:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Oct 17, 2:13*pm, micky wrote:
raylopez99 wrote:

On Oct 17, 2:42 pm, micky wrote:

[...]

I have been to the Library of Congress in Washington DC and what I
found there is most disappointing. They lack the most common, basic
stuff. "130 million items" may be misleading. I have registered
copyrights on more than 100 books. For each of those books I have sent
in 2 copies. That makes "200 items". A lot of stuff that people send
in for copyright registration is just junk that nobody will ever read.

Old October 18th 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Oct 18, 10:57*pm, samsloan wrote:

I have been to the Library of Congress in Washington DC and what I
found there is most disappointing. They lack the most common, basic
stuff. "130 million items" may be misleading. I have registered
copyrights on more than 100 books. For each of those books I have sent
in 2 copies. That makes "200 items". A lot of stuff that people send
in for copyright registration is just junk that nobody will ever read.

Sam Sloan

They don't store every vanity publication at the Library of Congress--
only the good stuff. Perhaps that's why your 200 items were relegated
to the pulp mill.

RL

Old October 18th 11, 10:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

samsloan wrote:
..
I have been to the Library of Congress in Washington DC and what I
found there is most disappointing. They lack the most common, basic
stuff. "130 million items" may be misleading. I have registered
copyrights on more than 100 books. For each of those books I have sent
in 2 copies. That makes "200 items". A lot of stuff that people send
in for copyright registration is just junk that nobody will ever read.

Sam.. you wrote the NYPL was the most astoundingly humungous library in
the entire universe - nothing, short of a formal retraction of this
wildly inaccurate statement will suffice to set the record straight...

However, I do feel your pain - I too, was sorely disappointed when one
day I took it upon myself to visit Sydney's impressive looking Mitchell
Library - I guess some libraries can't help being boring.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nationa...ia/4791970896/

I've not actually been inside The British Library but sense that might
be the real deal..

..
Old October 19th 11, 05:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Oct 19, 5:47*am, micky wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nationa...ia/4791970896/

I've not actually been inside The British Library but sense that might
be the real deal..

.

You seem awfully erudite for a UK lager lout.

I've been to the Athens library--not much to see, and it was Greek to
me.

RL