Old March 11th 04, 03:07 AM
Doctor Who

Default Slav Defense

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6

Why is this opening so popular these days? Does it give black easy equality??
Old March 11th 04, 04:10 AM
Angelo DePalma

No, it's a forced draw. Black equalizes on about move 15 if he plays
correctly, which is hard to do because so many of the lines are ultra-sharp.

Three years ago I was playing an expert who opened 1.d4. Before I knew it I
was in a slav variation where black has to sacrifice either his Knight or
Bishop on e4 for three pawns, a bunch of checks, and a fleeting initiative.
But I couldn't remember which piece to sac. After a 40 minute think I
stumbled on the right piece sacrifice (bishop).

On move 18 I had a choice between an obvious move that lost almost instantly
and a more obscure move which gave Black a big advantage. I chose the former
and lost by move 25. When I got home I realized we were still in book until
my blunder.

These days I think most world class players who try the slav play d5, e6,
c6, and a6, building up the thematic "Ferrero's Wall." The long term
strategy is, when the opponent isn't looking to remove the c8 bishop and one
of his opponent's minor pieces from the board to achieve equality. That's
called the "Eastern Slav Gambit."

adp

om...

Old March 11th 04, 04:55 AM
StanB

"Doctor Who" wrote in message
om...

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6

Why is this opening so popular these days? Does it give black easy

equality??

It is a book win for black.

StanB

Old March 11th 04, 12:18 PM
John Simmons

Hello,

The reason I switched to the slav is that at least in the UK club scene, D4
players are
not very ambitous and avoid critical/main lines like the plague. In that
situation with the Slav, play bishop outside pawn chain bf5 or Bg4, have
pawn in center, develop the bits.Can play this against assorted rubbish
from white.
Formerly when played Nimzo Indian had different lines against 4Nf3,
4Bg5,4e3.,4Qc2 the most popular and tedious, etc. Also had to have something
against 3.Nf3 , different lines of Queens Indian or what ever your choice.
In addition something against early g3, and against lines where white
avoids c4, Torre, London system etc,etc.
Anyway should get the picture, the Slav is basically less work.

An earlier poster was taking about a well know line after 1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6
3. nf3 nf6 4. nc3 pxp 5. a4 bf5 6. ne5 e6
where black later sacs a peice for three pawns. With the opponents I
typically met would firstly, be suprised they followed theory even this far.
In additon black can deviate with 4...a6, or 6....nd7, 6...qc7 for example.

Bye John S

Old March 12th 04, 12:06 AM
Angelo DePalma

Please stop busting my organs.

Everyone knows the Slav is a forced draw. Ever see Kasparov and Topalov play
it? Around move 18 (my fatal move) Kasparov, without saying a word, shrugs
his shoulders and Topalov stops the clock. Then they go out and eat some
sweetbreads. I mean organs.