Old March 14th 04, 03:15 AM
RSHaas

Default Where to move Chess HQ?

Beatriz says the whole joint will be in a position to move by May '05.
Where to? Actually, a lean and mean Chess HQ would do OK almost anywhere
operating costs were reasonable. I'd favor a smaller town in the southeast,
one located not too far from a major airport. Offhand a few towns come to mind:
Peachtree City, Georgia, a planned city just a few miles down the road from
the Atlanta airport.
Lakeland, Florida, a very nice city just a hop 'n skip from Tampa's airport.
Also Bradenton is a nice town in easy reach of Tampa.
Stay away from Miami and southeast Florida in general. Rents are high and
health insurance may be out of sight. Ditto California.
Other southeastern hubs to explore would be the Raleigh and Nashville areas.

RSHaas
Old March 14th 04, 04:22 AM
StanB

"RSHaas" wrote in message

Beatriz says the whole joint will be in a position to move by May '05.
Where to? Actually, a lean and mean Chess HQ would do OK almost anywhere
operating costs were reasonable.

There not so unreasonable now. Them ridgerunners near Newburgh aren't any
more expensive then anywhere down south. I wonder if we're still welcome in
Crossville?

StanB

Old March 14th 04, 03:10 PM
RSHaas

"There not so unreasonable now. Them ridgerunners near Newburgh aren't any
more expensive then anywhere down south. I wonder if we're still welcome in
Crossville? (StanB)
=============
Maybe, maybe not. But from my perspective.. anything north of Richmond is
North Korea.

RSHaas
Old March 14th 04, 06:33 PM
Angelo DePalma

At this point they have to figure in the cost of moving not just the office
but everyone who works there, plus disruptions in service -- I mean
membership something-or-other. I forgot USCF isn't a service organization.

To me, a USCF anywhere but Putnam/Dutchess county is sacriledge.

adp

Old March 14th 04, 07:36 PM
RSHaas

"To me, a USCF anywhere but Putnam/Dutchess county is sacriledge."
(adp)
=============
Anything north of Richmond is still North Korea. At least basements in the
South are generally warm.. like the people.

RSHaas

Old March 14th 04, 08:38 PM
Doctor SBD

Anything north of Richmond is still North Korea. At least basements in the
South are generally warm.. like the people.

You can have the fake, syrupy "warmth" of most people in the South (usually
delivered at the same time they are firmly inserting a dagger in your back). It
blows. I have never met such a group of superstitious fakes in my life.

SBD
Old March 14th 04, 09:59 PM
RSHaas

"You can have the fake, syrupy "warmth" of most people in the South (usually
delivered at the same time they are firmly inserting a dagger in your back). It
blows. I have never met such a group of superstitious fakes in my life. (SBD)
============
I'll take southern fakes 'n fools over northern fakes 'n fools any day,
every day. At least they know how to cook vegetables which is more than can be
said of most northern cooks. If I had to eat that Italian crap food every day,
I'd die in a month's time. Of course, New England's coldwater seafood is the
main exception to the rule, particularly lobster.

RSHaas
Old March 15th 04, 02:17 AM
ASCACHESS

=============
Anything north of Richmond is still North Korea. At least basements in the
South are generally warm.. like the people.

RSHaas

You have a rather Amish perception of the world.
Everyone who is not Amish is English.

Rp
Old March 15th 04, 02:42 AM
Chuck Coleman

I think it would be logical to locate USCF
headquarters somewhere centrally located in the
country, like Kansas City, St. Louis, the Quad
Cites, Chicago, etc. But how often does USCF do
things logically? By the way, why was Crossville
turned down? (Or *were* they turned down?)
Didn't they offer us a free building or something
like that?

Chuck

Old March 15th 04, 03:38 AM
Mike Nolan

"Chuck Coleman" writes:

But how often does USCF do
things logically?

Probably far more often than most people give it credit for.

By the way, why was Crossville
turned down? (Or *were* they turned down?)
Didn't they offer us a free building or something
like that?

Crossville gave the USCF a site with a value of around $250,000. The
city will want it back at some point if we're not going there, but
I don't know that we've given them a definitive statement on that.

I think the original deal called for groundbreaking on the new HQ
building within about a year.

However, I met with several folks in Crossville last August, and
got the impression there was quite a bit of flexibility in that as long
as the move is still in the picture.

Would they wait until we can vacate the buildings on 9W, presumably in
mid-2005? I don't know, I suppose I would as long as I was SURE it would
happen then, which at this point is far from sure. (And if we
were to commit to a mid-2005 move, we'd probably have to get started
on a new building some time this summer.)
--
Mike Nolan