Old March 15th 04, 12:58 AM
RSHaas

Default One weakness in the USCF system

Long time chess honcho, Kevin Bachler, says he might drop his USCF
membership come next January. If I understand it correctly, that also means
his TD certification also goes out the window.
One of the weaknesses in the USCF way of doing things is that when guys like
Kevin throw in the towel, they take their chess oriented working capital with
them. In other words, the money that runs chess is external to the
organizational structures of chess... because most chess organizational
structures such as clubs and state associations don't have much working capital
that can be devoted to fronting tournaments and some other things.
Among the things that a Mensa treatment would be intended to do is
internally capitalized the organizational structures of chess., i.e... to
create chess associations of a type that actually had money in the bank and the
cultural intent to actually use that money to directly promote chess. Now...
the folks that might operate such Metro District umbrellas might fade out and
leave from time to time. But. at least the money and organizational structure
would remain in place to be taken up and piloted by a new crew elected by the
broad run of players. Lacking such a device, the broad run of players have no
way to get chess cranked up and moving again -- except to wait endlessly for
another free lancer to risk his own money and test his luck.
Even if I lived in an active area, I would much perfer to have a funded
Metro District in place to back up and or interact with individual promoters in
some way that kept my area active. But I have the misfortune of living in the
extended Tampa Bay area which has never developed a steady local orgaizer to
"run" things.. at least on the adult scene. I think Tampa Bay and its players
would have benefitted enormously from a funded Metro District umbrella of the
Mensa ilk.

RSHaas
Old March 16th 04, 07:59 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

"RSHaas" wrote in message
Long time chess honcho, Kevin Bachler, says he might drop his USCF
membership come next January. If I understand it correctly, that also

means
his TD certification also goes out the window.

What does being a TD have to do with organizing tournaments?