Old March 15th 04, 12:14 PM

Default Bragging Rights?

My son has just posted a website where he brags that he is ranked
number 9029 in the world.

Is this something to brag about, or has this brought on shame to the
family?

http://www.chessartist.com/career.html
Old March 15th 04, 12:50 PM
Matt Nemmers

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
My son has just posted a website where he brags that he is ranked
number 9029 in the world.

Is this something to brag about, or has this brought on shame to the
family?

http://www.chessartist.com/career.html

After all you do, THAT would bring shame to your family????

Old March 15th 04, 12:52 PM
Abu Ali

Is this something to brag about, or has this brought on shame to the
family?

Nothing could bring shame to you.
You're shameless.

Old March 15th 04, 05:36 PM
RSHaas

"Is this something to brag about, or has this brought on shame to the family?"
(Sam Sloan)
=============
I used to joke that I was the US's highest rated player with a name that began
with Haa... But within a year or two David Haag of Delaware showed up and
knock me down to last in that category.

RSHaas
Old March 15th 04, 07:29 PM
sandirhodes

"RSHaas" wrote
I used to joke that I was the US's highest rated player with a name that began
with Haa... But within a year or two David Haag of Delaware showed up and
knock me down to last in that category.

I know a former friend who was once rated 2199 -- and billed himself as the highest rated expert in the country.

Old March 15th 04, 08:37 PM
Nick

"Matt Nemmers" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
My son has just posted a website where he brags that he is ranked
number 9029 in the world. Is this something to brag about, or has
this brought on shame to the family?

http://www.chessartist.com/career.html

After all you do, THAT would bring shame to your family????

Mr Nemmers, I understand your point about Sam Sloan's own website.

If you were in his son's position (considering what paternal influences to
which he might well have been exposed), however, then how likely would it be
for you to take into account the possibility of 'bring(ing) shame' to the
family of Sam Sloan (whom you may prefer not to acknowledge as your father)?

--Nick
Old March 19th 04, 11:32 PM
Nick

"sandirhodes" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"RSHaas" wrote
I used to joke that I was the US's highest rated player with a name that
began with Haa... But within a year or two David Haag of Delaware showed
up and knock me down to last in that category.

I know a former friend who was once rated 2199 -- and billed himself as
the highest rated expert in the country.

When he was rated 2199, did he ever win first place in an under-2200 section?
Old March 19th 04, 11:45 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article , RSHaas says...

I used to joke that I was the US's highest rated player with a name that began
with Haa... But within a year or two David Haag of Delaware showed up and
knock me down to last in that category.

RSHaas

Do you mean Russell Haag? He was 2100+ in the early 1990's. There was also a
David Haan, first of IL, then Michigan, then Washington I think. He was over
2000 in the 1980's and 90's I think, and may have been over 2100.

Then there was also David Haas, in the late 1980's early 1990's range was close
to 2100.

Weren't you around 1900?

Kevin L. Bachler

Old March 20th 04, 01:05 AM
RSHaas

"Do you mean Russell Haag? ... Weren't you around 1900?" Maybe it was
Russell Haag, It was a Delaware guy that bumped me in second and last place.
Later on several 2000 Haa's showed up. My top rating was 2044, my last is
1954. I never thought I played better than 1700.

RSHaas
Old March 20th 04, 03:18 AM
sandirhodes

"Nick" wrote
"sandirhodes" wrote
"RSHaas" wrote
I used to joke that I was the US's highest rated player with a name that
began with Haa... But within a year or two David Haag of Delaware showed
up and knock me down to last in that category.

I know a former friend who was once rated 2199 -- and billed himself as
the highest rated expert in the country.

When he was rated 2199, did he ever win first place in an under-2200 section?

I don't think so.