Old March 16th 04, 06:52 AM
ASCACHESS

Default Tournament $Dollars

Have we ever seen the actual 'nuts and bolts' 'nitty gritty' of the
USCF financials for 2002/2003? What money did the USCF receive from
what tournaments? How much money did the USCF receive from each of
the Amatuer Team events? How much money did the USCF receive from
each of the Scholastic events?
How much money did the USCF receive from the US Open? Are the exact
figures available somewhere? I did not notice them on the USCF web
site. I know that a set of general financials for 2002/2003 are
available. This is the same information that was available to
delegates in Los Angeles. However, I would like to know the
particulars for tournament revenues for the USCF. Can someone out
there help with this?

Larry S. Cohen
Illinois Delegate

This should not be a funny request, but perhaps asking the same question enough
times is cause for mirth.

There are no tournament only financials.
USCF has no idea whether it makes money on the national scholastics nor any
idea how much it loses annually on the US Open.

It would be easy to say this was caused by the involvement of the USCF office
in tournament staffing and planning, but the truth is no one has ever done the
accounting so we just don't know.

Beatriz recently wrote that the National Scholastics had made $100,000 in a
recent year. But the fact is, this is a Sam Sloan $100,000. That is to say
100K up without any regard to the cost.

What should be apparent is that our office doesn't do anything well and thus
should be restricted from doing as many of those entrepreneurial activities as
possible. They are incapable.
Removing the B+E was the first step.
Tournaments should be second.

Now if we can only figure out what to do about ratings!

A skeleton crew to take care of ratings and a magazine without any of the
current crew of politicians would be just about ideal.

Rp

Old March 16th 04, 08:33 AM
RSHaas

"A skeleton crew to take care of ratings and a magazine without any of the
current crew of politicians would be just about ideal." (Rp)
==============
And, of course, we don't need to send them anything close to $49 if that is
all we're going to get out of Chess HQ.

RSHaas
Old March 16th 04, 04:22 PM
ASCACHESS

"A skeleton crew to take care of ratings and a magazine without any of the
current crew of politicians would be just about ideal." (Rp)
==============
And, of course, we don't need to send them anything close to $49 if that
is
all we're going to get out of Chess HQ.

RSHaas

Gee, I wonder what a 50% drop in membership fees would do for the number of
members.

But then again, we would lose the privilege of paying for Don Schultz jaunts
around the world.

What a tradeoff!
Rp