Old December 13th 11, 08:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default USCF declines to sponsor Women's World Champion team

Why the US Women's Team is not competing in the World Championships --
the essence of this exchange is that the USCF, presiding over Chess
USA, in the richest country in the world, didn't like the idea of
supporting them. Now, I suppose you could say that all other countries
did, and since USCF is a national organization it is their obligation
to do so, OR, you could say that USCF members have voted not to
support national teams. Certainly if it's the first above, then maybe
FIDE should canvass other US Organizations to run chess -- and if it's
the second option, USCF should declare they have no intention of
funding national teams, so that others who may have a chance to do so,
can.

This is not to criticize USCF unduly, except in the sense that they
should declare their intentions to the women!

Phil Innes
Vermont

=====

Clarification from Mr. Ali Nihat Yazici, President of the Turkish
Chess Federation and FIDE VP:

The USCF did not send their application on the right time for the FIDE
Women's World Tem Championships 2011. Their reactions started
politically in FIDE Congress in Krakow, then were followed by the
attached e-mail. They tried to negotiate, even after we have decreased
hotel prices for event by finding additional sponsorship. They do not
understand that this is a sport event, they think they are in Grand
Bazaar and may negotiate....

Below is the email which was sent to the Turkish Chess Federation from
the U.S. Chess Federation trying to get a special deal:

Kimden: Bill Hall
Gönderme Tarihi: Pazartesi 07 Kasım 2011 10:04
Konu: Women's World Chess Team Championship

To the Organizing Committee,

We have budgeted for this event according to the regulations of the
previous Women's World Team held in China. There each team was
provided 3 double rooms at no charge for the duration of the event. We
actually have 7 individuals that would be traveling, 5 players, a
trainer, and a Coach. Each would need a single room.

If you are able to provide conditions as such that three single rooms
are provided at no charge, three single rooms are provided at the 60
Euro per night rate, and an additional room at the 120 Euro rate, we
would be able to participate. Please let me know as soon as possible
so that we can make arrangements if this is agreeable.

The previously announced costs for participation were far beyond what
we had budgeted and we were therefore not going to be able to attend;
however, if you find this proposal agreeable, we should be able to
participate.

Regards,
Bill Hall
Executive Director
United States Chess Federation
P. O. Box 3967
Crossville, TN 38557

Below is the email from the organizer with the same conditions to ALL
Old December 14th 11, 01:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

As I read this it will cost the USCF 510 Euros per player for double
rooms at the event. With a delegation of 6 that is 3060 Euros or $4033
US Dollars. This does not seem like a lot of money considering that
the USCF spent $75,000 to send a delegation to the World Youth
Championships.

It seems possible that the USCF is completely broke, so broke that it
cannot spend $ 4033 plus transportation costs to send a US team to a
major international event.

Is it really that bad? A board member has been bragging to me that
USCF finances have greatly improved.

Old December 18th 11, 02:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 13, 8:22*pm, samsloan wrote:
As I read this it will cost the USCF 510 Euros per player for double
rooms at the event. With a delegation of 6 that is 3060 Euros or $4033
US Dollars. This does not seem like a lot of money considering that
the USCF spent $75,000 to send a delegation to the World Youth
Championships.

It seems possible that the USCF is completely broke, so broke that it
cannot spend $ 4033 plus transportation costs to send a US team to a
major international event.

Is it really that bad? A board member has been bragging to me that
USCF finances have greatly improved.

Sam Sloan

Apparently USCF has been spending far more money on law suits than on
chess promotion, maybe now $100,000? and even it is cost $7,500
dollars to send a woman's team into an international world
championship where recently US won a Silver Medal, we understand them
to say 'they [USCF] have not budgeted for it'. And 'they' being men
who failed to set aside ten cents per member since they thought other
people should pay for the US team, which as we know is not true and
was pointed out directly by the FIDE official, and which no other
county in the world misunderstood.

75,000 members at 10 cents each is how much? Enough? And how much do
these members pay for staff salaries at USCF? Is 10 cents per member
really too much, or is this because it is a woman's team?

What is the total salary of the 20 permanent employees in dollar
terms? OR even what is the salary of USCF international organizers
This is where non-profits get into serious trouble, they consume
vastly more salary than they dispense as benefits. Lucky they don't
get investigating, eh?

And if USCF cannot provide for international play, even at 10 cents
per member per year, are you ready for a bombshell? Soon enough,
meanwhile...

Laugh

Meanwhile, what a bunch of indolent wallies! I notice no USCF
politicos dare defend their do-nothing policy. I am unsure if this is
only mysogynistic in not representing American women, or the usual
incompetency, or, of course, both.

Phil Innes
Vermont