Old December 14th 11, 01:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Alexander Pleads Guilty

In the United States District Court
for the Northern District of California
District Judge Edward M. Chen
CRIMINAL MINUTES
Date: December 13, 2011 Time: 1:50-2:04 (14 minutes)
Court Reporter: Connie Kuhl (415) 431-2020
Case No: CR09-0719 EMC
CASE NAME: UNITED STATES v. GREGORY ALEXANDER
Attorneys: Plaintiff: Michelle Kane
Defendant: Elizabeth Falk
Deputy Clerk: Betty Lee
PROCEEDINGS:
- CHANGE OF PLEA
ORDERED AFTER HEARING:
- Defendant pled guilty on Count 1 of Information. Parties informed
Court they consent before Magistrate Judge Laporte. This case is
referred to Judge Laporte for sentencing on 3/20/12 at 9:30 a.m.
Defendant is referred to Probation.
cc: Kristen
Criminal
Old December 14th 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Date: * December 13, 2011 * * * Time: 1:50-2:04 (14 minutes)
Court Reporter: Connie Kuhl (415) 431-2020
Case No: * * * *CR09-0719 EMC
CASE NAME: * * *UNITED STATES v. GREGORY ALEXANDER
Attorneys: * * *Plaintiff: * * *Michelle Kane
Defendant: Elizabeth Falk
Deputy Clerk: * Betty Lee
PROCEEDINGS:
- CHANGE OF PLEA
ORDERED AFTER HEARING:
- Defendant pled guilty on Count 1 of Information. Parties informed
Court they consent before Magistrate Judge Laporte. This case is
referred to Judge Laporte for sentencing on 3/20/12 at 9:30 a.m.
Defendant is referred to Probation.
cc: * * Kristen
Criminal

Ah!!!!! PROBATION!!!! This was EXACTLY what I told you would be the
outcome. I assume the 1 count was was charged as a MISDEMEANOR
offense, yes?!? As I said I really did not see Alexander facing all
the dire predictions you posed for him, as there would be no way I'd
plead guilty to end up facing all the charges you imagined for him.
Old December 14th 11, 11:17 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Date: * December 13, 2011 * * * Time: 1:50-2:04 (14 minutes)
[...]

It's far from over. A lot can happen between now and sentencing. I and
others are committed to working with USCF and its counsel regarding
both sentencing and resumption or settlement of the civil case in
Texas.

None of us expected a guilty plea to all 34 counts-that's not how its
done. Unliike you, I knew he'd plead guilty and that the USCF is fully
prepared to proceed in Texas unless it gets what it wants.

One final comment. This guilty plea is a complete vindication of the
USCF and all the defendants sued by Polgar and attacked by Polgar/
Truong and their cabal of miscreants.

That's all you'll be hearing from me. I'll be cooperating with the
USCF and it's counsel behind the scenes from this point forward.
Old December 15th 11, 12:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

It's far from over. A lot can happen between now and sentencing. I and
others are committed to working with USCF and its counsel regarding
both sentencing and resumption or settlement of the civil case in
Texas.

None of us expected a guilty plea to all 34 counts-that's not how its
done. Unliike you, I knew he'd plead guilty and that the USCF is fully
prepared to proceed in Texas unless it gets what it wants.

One final comment. This guilty plea is a complete vindication of the
USCF and all the defendants sued by Polgar and attacked by Polgar/
Truong and their cabal of miscreants.

That's all you'll be hearing from me. I'll be cooperating with the
USCF and it's counsel behind the scenes from this point forward.

He plead guilty to a SINGLE MISDEMEANOR offense. The recommended
sentence is PROBATION probably coupled with a fine. I seriously doubt
USCF is "... fully prepared to proceed in Texas unless it gets what it
wants." And as an aside how is it YOU -- who are not even an elected
member of the board -- speak for the entirety of the USCF and know
what they do and do not want to do?!? If so please tell us all how
much more money is the MEMBERSHIP expected to shell out for this
vendetta of yours?!? Enquiring minds want to know!!! What the USCF
probably "wants" is to put this whole sordid mess behind it and get on
with life. It already SETTLED with Polgar and Truong so what is the
point of continuing to pursue Alexander?!?

As to the guilty pea being a "complete vindication of the USCF and
all the defendants sued by Polgar and attacked by Polgar/ Truong and
their cabal of miscreants.." don't make me laugh, this is anything
BUT a "complete vindication", this was a minor misdemeanor offense,
which the recommended sentence is PROBATION. Let me quote Judge Patel
again: "The indictment filed by the government in this case is as
factually and legally deficient as any the court has seen in its
experience." Here is what I think happened: Yes the government had a
case against Alexander, however it would be difficult and expensive
to prove beyond the misdemeanor counts, the Government approached
Alexander's counsel, and they did some horse trading. The Government
would agree to a single misdemeanor count if Alexander would agree
to a change of plea to Guilty. In short Alexander agreed to plead
guilty to a SINGLE MISDEMEANOR count, not to any Felony counts. For
the USCF to now try to pursue a Felony conviction based on his
pleading guilty to a single misdemeanor count is way over the top.
Trying to get anything beyond PROBATION and maybe a FINE for a First
time offender is silly.

Your obsession with Polgar, and now Alexander, makes me wonder if you
need to see a mental health professional; I mean really,
Alexander?!?
Old December 15th 11, 01:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 14, 7:11*pm, Bobcat wrote:
[...]

Your ignorance of how the system works is astounding. It is normal on
a multi-count indictment to only plead guilty to one count as part of
a plea deal. There is a recommended sentence which the judge can
either accept or reject after reviewing the
pre-sentencing report prepared by federal probation authorities and
victim impact statements, both written and oral in court prior to
sentemcing. If the judge's sentence exceeds the plea recommendation
(by imposing prison time, for example) the defendant can withdraw his
plea and go to trial on the original indictment or negotiate another
plea deal.

The USCF is committed to proceeding to judgmemt on the Texas civil
suit unless Alexander settles on terms acceptable to the USCF. The
other people impacted by the actions of Polgar/Truong/Alexander,
including me, Bogner and Mottershead, are fully committed to working
with the USCF's counsel for the benefit of the USCF. What that will
entail won't be raised or discussed by me publicly.

So, continue your rant about pleading to "only" one count and all your
other drivel. I likely won't be responding to you any further. Do say
hello to Paul and Susan for me. :-)

Old December 16th 11, 05:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

[...]

If I am "ignorant" it is because IANAA, but so far common sense is
what I rely on.
The only "ranting" I see is coming from you. You are still making a
mountain out of a molehill. Alexander is still a first time offender
and second this is about a misdemeanor hacking offense. Those are the
FACTS of the matter. This is NOT about assault, battery, robbery, or
even a car crash. You're blowing this way out of proportion from
where I sit. While your rational might be correct and I may indeed be
WRONG, it is simply because IANAA, still I have a very hard time
seeing all the dire predictions you forecast as being implemented.
And yes I know about victim impact statements, as I was a REAL victim
that resulted in hospitalization, scars, and disfigurement, plastic
surgery, not an in-your-head victim... and all he got sentenced to was
time served, plus probation. From where I sit this does not even come
close to what I went through. I suspect the judge will listen nicely
to the three of you and still sentence Alexander to PROBATION and a
possible fine. Simply put this case does not even rate a sniff test.

I am still curious to know how YOU know that, "The USCF is committed
to proceeding to judgmemt on the Texas civil suit unless Alexander
settles on terms acceptable to the USCF." Again how much $$$$$ is it
going to cost the MEMBERSHIP to continue this Moby Dick quest: You
could not get Susan (who you likewise had onerous predictions for.
USCF SETTLED with her.) Or Paul (who the USCF also settled with.),
so now it is onto the bait fish Alexander, who you are now painting
as the Great White Whale. If *I* am the USCF -- or even the attorney
to the USCF -- *my* advice would be to put this sordid affair
behind me ASAP. Going after Alexander is a distraction, and it
reminds the MEMBERSHIP of a chapter in USCF history many people
would like to put behind them. While you might not like Susan,
there are many people who did and who are still members of the USCF.
Going after Alexander is only going to re-open that can of
worms... probation and a fine... it becomes a foot-note, and
everyone moves on with their lives... even if YOU seemingly can't.

But then again YOU are the BIG Legal Beagle, so you *MAY* be right
(clearly I don't think so), that said so far I've called it correctly:
I said the recommended sentence would be PROBATION, and that is what
the Judge, not I, has indeed recommended. Until the sentence is
handed down all we can do is speculate.

As to saying "Hello to Paul and Susan", I'm afraid you are in far
better shape to do that than I :-), that said if you do hear from
them please pass along my best wishes Hehehehe.

Old December 16th 11, 10:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 14, 6:17*am, BLafferty wrote:

One final comment. This guilty plea is a complete vindication of the
USCF and all the defendants sued by Polgar and attacked by Polgar/
Truong and their cabal of miscreants.

Administrative Law Clerk Laughingstock: a 34 count felony indictment
pleads down to one misdemeanor probation and that's "complete
vindication" for the prosecution? Complete vindication would have been
34 felony convictions. This is pretty far down the other end of the
complete vindication spectrum, right between nuisance settlement and
laughed out of court. Facing natural life, gets probation. And here
you are grandstanding about a great victory in the intercine chess
circle jerk. Imbecile.
Old December 17th 11, 12:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 16, 5:15*pm, Your smrat ® wrote:
On Dec 14, 6:17*am, BLafferty wrote:

One final comment. This guilty plea is a complete vindication of the
USCF and all the defendants sued by Polgar and attacked by Polgar/
Truong and their cabal of miscreants.

Administrative Law Clerk Laughingstock: a 34 count felony indictment
pleads down to one misdemeanor probation and that's "complete
vindication" for the prosecution? Complete vindication would have been
34 felony convictions. This is pretty far down the other end of the
complete vindication spectrum, right between nuisance settlement and
laughed out of court. Facing natural life, gets probation. And here
you are grandstanding about a great victory in the intercine chess
circle jerk. Imbecile.

Thank you for sharing.
Old December 17th 11, 04:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

On Dec 16, 7:34*pm, BLafferty wrote:
On Dec 16, 5:15*pm, Your smrat ® wrote:

Administrative Law Clerk Laughingstock: a 34 count felony indictment
pleads down to one misdemeanor probation and that's "complete
vindication" for the prosecution? Complete vindication would have been
34 felony convictions. This is pretty far down the other end of the
complete vindication spectrum, right between nuisance settlement and
laughed out of court. Facing natural life, gets probation. And here
you are grandstanding about a great victory in the intercine chess
circle jerk. Imbecile.

Thank you for sharing.

That's the purpose of a circle jerk.