Old January 15th 12, 07:04 PM posted to alt.christnet.public,alt.religion.christian,alt.religion,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default The Simple English Bible The New Testament

The Simple English Bible, The New Testament

Introduction by Sam Sloan

The Simple English Bible is a new translation of the Holy Bible. It is
the result of an effort by several teams, not just one team, over a
period of many years. The purpose was to reduce the Holy Bible to
simple words not more than about six letters long. Any person with a
Fifth Grade Reading level and any foreign person who knows some
English but is not fluent should be able to read and understand this
Bible.

A basic vocabulary of three thousand words was created for this Bible
and this Bible only uses those words.

Not only is this a reduction of the text to simpler words but it is
also a completely new and original translation. Most other new
editions of the Bible are simply rewrites of the well known King James
Version of the Bible. By contrast, The Simple English Bible is an
entirely new and original translation.

This can be demonstrated by comparing almost any verse of the Bible.
Take for example John 3:16:

John 3:16
King James Version (KJV)
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that
whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting
life.

As can be seen, several words in this famous passage are never used in
everyday English. We do not speak of a “begotten Son” nor do we talk
about anyone who “believeth”.

If you check other Bible translations, you will see almost exactly
these same words. For example:

John 3:16
New International Version (NIV)
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that
whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16
Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
Yes, God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that
everyone who believes in him would not be lost but have eternal life.

John 3:16
Common English Bible (CEB)
God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who
believes in him won’t perish but will have eternal life.

There are at least 30 different editions or translations of the Holy
Bible and all of them say almost exactly the same thing.

Yet, anybody who has ever done translation work knows that no two
translators, working independently of each other, will produce exactly
the same result. The similarities of all of the above translations
shows that they are all just re-writes, not original new translations.

Now, compare them to The Simple English Bible. Here we have:

God loved the people of the world so much that He gave up His one and
only Son. Every person who commits himself to Jesus will not be
destroyed. Instead, that person will have eternal life.

As can be seen, this is something different. Instead of one sentence
we have three. The three different concepts have each been given a
sentence of their own.

Which is correct – the 30 or the one that is different?

Is it correct to say “God so loved the World” or rather is the correct
translation “God loved the people of the world”.

It should be obvious that “God loved the People of the world” is
correct. Otherwise, it would be that God loved the rocks, the oceans,
the volcanoes, the trees, the insects, the germs, the microbes and so
on and expected them to believe in him. Surely, it does not mean that.
So, it must mean that God loved the humans, alone. To answer a child's
question, Sorry, your dog or your cat will not make it into Heaven.

Almost every verse of the Bible follows this example. Long, complex
sentences are broken down into short simple sentences.

Let us take one of the most controversial verses of the Bible:
Revelation 13:18

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of
the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six
hundred threescore and six.

The Simple English Bible

This is true wisdom. The person who has understanding should figure
out the number of the wild animal.(It is the same way that men count.)
Its number is 666.

As can be seen, there are important differences between the two. The
King James version says that it is the number of the man, such as a
Social-Security-Number or a Drivers License number is a number
assigned to one person which he will carry for the remainder of his
life.

The Simple English Bible instead says that it is a number in the
counting system that men use, but not the number actually assigned to
any specific man.

Again, it seems obvious that the translation in The Simple English
Bible is correct. Surely, there is no living, breathing man walking
around numbered 666.

My involvement with the Simple English Bible dates back to April and
May 1981 when I spent about two weeks at the Summer Institute of
Linguistics in Dallas Texas. This is an organization that tries to
develop a writing system for every one of the six thousand known
languages of the world, with the eventual goal of translating the Holy
Bible into each of those languages.

This goal is unrealizable because it takes about 20 years to do this
for one language and there are not enough people willing to undertake
such a task, but anyway they try.

The two most memorable people I met there were Joyce Overholt and Max
Cobbey. The most memorable event while I was there was the
announcement while I was eating in the cafeteria that two SIL
researchers had been killed and their dead bodies had been found in
the jungles of Columbia. They had been there trying to reduce one of
the Native American Indian Languages to writing. Unfortunately, a
Marxist group had thought they were American CIA agents and not there
to do God's Holy Work and for that reason had abducted and killed
them. This illustrated the dangers in this kind of work.

A man I met when I spent about two weeks in the offices of the Summer
Institute of Linguistics in Dallas was working on the Simple English
Bible. As I was driving to New York, he asked me for a ride and I gave
him a ride in my rental car with my Chitrali wife, Honzagool. He spent
the night in my family home in Lynchburg, Virginia. Although I lived
in Manhattan, he was going to Hartford Connecticut where he was
working on The Simple English Bible. This was a distance of 125 miles
out of my way but as I was interested in the Simple English Bible I
drove him there in my rental car and the man whom he had come to see
he gave me a copy of the Simple English Bible as a reward, although
with some reluctance as he said that only a few copies of this bible
were in existence, as he had not been able to afford to print more.

He asked me if I could reprint his Bible and I said I would.
Unfortunately, he had in mind a big press run and there was no way
that either I or Ishi Press had the money at the time to do this.

Now with the new technologies available I can afford to do it and as I
still have the Bible he gave me back in May 1981, I have decided to
contact them about this but unfortunately both of the men involved are
dead. Max Cobbey is dead too. He died in 2008. The only one that might
still be alive is Joyce Overholt. However, that is a fairly common
name. I found one person on the Internet by that name and I have
written her but she has not responded. Yet another person who was
associated with SIL at that time and with whom I have corresponded was
Kendall D. Decker, so I decided to look him up and was shocked to
discover that he died recently too at the age of only 50.

I am not getting any younger either so I have decided that I had
better get this Simple English Bible reprinted now or else the True
Word of God will be forever lost.

Sam Sloan
Friday, January 13, 2012

http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871872211
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871872211

The Old Testament of the Bible in Chinese, Part I, from Genesis
through Chronicles

http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871872009
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871872009

The Old Testament of the Bible in Chinese, Part 2, from Ezra to
Malachi

http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871872106
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871872106

The New Testament of the Bible in Chinese

http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871872203
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871872203
Old January 15th 12, 08:23 PM posted to alt.christnet.public,alt.religion.christian,alt.religion,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

The Simple English Bible, The New Testament

Introduction by Sam Sloan

The Holy Bible is the result of an effort by a simple Fifth Grade
Reading level foreign person who is not fluent.

As can be seen, several words are never used. We do not speak nor do
we talk about anyone. If you will see almost exactly. For example:
John loved his Son, that would be lost, so that everyone shall
perish.

There are at least 30 different exactly the same. Yet, working
independently of each other, we have: God gave up. Jesus will be
destroyed.

As can be seen, this is something. Instead we have three different
concepts of their own. Which is correct – the 30 that is different?

It should be obvious that the rocks, the oceans, the volcanoes, the
trees, the insects, the germs, the microbes and so on believe in him.
Surely, it does not mean a child's dog or cat will not make it into
Heaven.

Almost every Bible follows this most controversial Revelation: Let him
that hath understanding count the same way that men count.

As can be seen, King James is one person for the remainder of his
life. Again, it seems obvious that there is no living, breathing man
walking around.

I spent about two weeks eating dead bodies. Unfortunately, a Marxist
group illustrated the dangers.

A man I met spent the night. I was interested in him, although with
some reluctance as he had not been able to afford more. He asked me if
I could and I said I would.

Now with the new technologies available I can afford to do it but
unfortunately both of the men involved are dead. The only one that
might still be fairly common has not responded. I decided to look up
and was shocked.

I am not getting any younger.

Sam Sloan
Friday, January 13, 2012

Old January 16th 12, 04:10 PM posted to alt.christnet.public,alt.religion.christian,alt.religion,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Jan 15, 11:04*am, samsloan wrote:

The two most memorable people I met there were Joyce Overholt and Max
Cobbey. The most memorable event while I was there was the
announcement while I was eating in the cafeteria that two SIL
researchers had been killed and their dead bodies had been found in
the jungles of Columbia. They had been there trying to reduce one of
the Native American Indian Languages to writing. Unfortunately, a
Marxist group had thought they were American CIA agents and not there
to do God's Holy Work and for that reason had abducted and killed
them. This illustrated the dangers in this kind of work.

I have been looking thus up to try to get the exact date right.

One website based on a book reports that one dead body was found on
March 7, 1981.

Another book "Chronologies of modern terrorism by Barry M. Rubin,
Judith Colp Rubin" page 117 says that the kidnapping was by M-19 and
occurred on January 19, 1981. The victim was Chester Allen Bitterman.
It does not give the date of the discovery of his body.

Old January 16th 12, 06:37 PM posted to alt.christnet.public,alt.religion.christian,alt.religion,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

The Simple English Bible, The New Testament

Introduction by Sam Sloan

English is the result of an effort by several teams over a period of
many years. The purpose was to reduce to not more than six letters any
foreign person.

A basic vocabulary of three words was created for King James. By
contrast, this can be demonstrated.
Take for example God. We do not “believeth”in him.

There are at least 30 different editions of God. Which is correct? It
should be obvious that the volcanoes expected them. Surely, it does
not mean that. So, it must mean that God loved your dog.

Almost every one of the most controversial verses is true wisdom. The
person who has the wild animal is assigned to one person for the
remainder of his life.

The Bible instead says that it is not actually assigned to any
specific man. Again, it seems obvious.

I spent about two weeks to develop a writing system, with the eventual
goal of eating in the cafeteria in the jungles of Columbia.
Unfortunately, CIA agents there to do God's Holy Work abducted and
killed my wife, Honzagool.

Now with the new technologies available, I have decided both of the
men are dead. Max Cobbey is too common. I have not responded. Yet
another person was shocked at the age of only 50.

I am forever lost.

Sam Sloan
Friday, January 13, 2012

Old January 16th 12, 06:45 PM posted to alt.christnet.public,alt.religion.christian,alt.religion,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

I have re-written a few of the paragraphs as follows:

Again, it seems obvious that the translation in The Simple English
Bible is correct. Surely, there is no living, breathing man walking
around numbered 666.

My involvement with the Simple English Bible dates back to March 1981
when I spent about two weeks at the Summer Institute of Linguistics in
Dallas Texas. This is an organization that tries to develop a writing
system for every one of the six thousand known languages of the world.
Along with its sister organization, Wycliffe Bible Translators, the
eventual goal is translating the Holy Bible into each of those
languages.

This goal is unrealizable because it takes about 20 years to do this
for one language and there are not enough people willing to undertake
such a task, but anyway they try.

My reason for being there was I was working on a dictionary of the
Khowar Language, a rare and previously unwritten language spoken in
Chitral in Northwest Pakistan. My wife, Honzagool, was a speaker of
that language.

The two most memorable people I met there were Joyce Overholt and Max
Cobbey. The most memorable event while I was there was the
announcement on March 7, 1981 while I was eating in the SIL cafeteria
that one SIL Researcher, Chester Allen Bitterman, had been killed and
his dead body had been found in Columbia. He had been there working in
the jungles of Columbia trying to reduce one of the Native American
Indian Languages to writing. Unfortunately, a Marxist group, M-19, had
thought that he was an American CIA agent and not there to do God's
Holy Work and for that reason had abducted and then killed him. This
[...]

still have the Bible he gave me back in March 1981, I decided to
contact them about this but unfortunately both of the men involved are
dead. Also, Max Cobbey passed from this life and joined Jesus in
eternal life on June 28, 2008. The only one that might still be here
on Earth is Joyce Overholt. I have found one person on the Internet by
that name and I have written her but she has not responded. Yet
another person who was associated with SIL at that time and with whom
I have corresponded was Kendall D. Decker, so I decided to look him up
and was shocked to discover that he joined Jesus on March 18, 2010 at

Old January 16th 12, 08:45 PM posted to alt.christnet.public,alt.religion.christian,alt.religion,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

The Simple English Bible The New Testament - REVISED

[...]

Iyet, if you check other Bible translations, you will see almost
[...]

Which is correct – the 30 that are almost the same or the one that is
different?

Is it correct to say “God so loved the World” or rather is the correct
translation “God loved the people of the world”?

It should be obvious that “God loved the People of the world” is
correct. Otherwise, it would be that God loved the rocks, the oceans,
the volcanoes, the trees, the insects, the germs, the microbes and so
on and expected them to believe in him. Surely, it does not mean that.
So, it must mean that God loved the humans, alone. To answer a child's
question, Sorry, your dog or your cat will not make it into Heaven.

Almost every verse of The Simple English Bible follows this example.
Long, complex sentences are broken down into short simple sentences.

Let us take one of the most controversial verses of the Bible:
Revelation 13:18

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of
the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six
hundred threescore and six.

The Simple English Bible

This is true wisdom. The person who has understanding should figure
out the number of the wild animal. (It is the same way that men
count.) Its number is 666.

As can be seen, there are important differences between the two. The
King James version says that it is the number of a man, such as a
[...]

Another man I met when I spent two weeks in the offices of the Summer
Institute of Linguistics in Dallas was working on the Simple English
Bible. As I was driving to New York, he asked me and my pregnant
Chitrali wife, Honzagool, for a ride. We gave him a ride in my rental
car. On the way, we spent the night in my family home in Lynchburg,
Virginia.

Although I lived in Manhattan, he was going to Hartford Connecticut
where he was working on The Simple English Bible. This was a distance
of 125 miles out of our way but as I was interested in the Simple
English Bible I drove him there in my rental car. The man whom he had
come to see gave me a copy of the Simple English Bible as a reward,
although with some reluctance as he said that only a few copies of
this bible were in existence, as he had not been able to afford to
print more.

He asked me if I could reprint his Bible and I said I would.
Unfortunately, he had in mind a big press run and there was no way
that either I or Ishi Press had the money at the time to do this.

Now, with the new technologies available I can afford to do it. As I
still have the Bible he gave me back in March 1981, I decided to
contact them about this but unfortunately both of the men involved
have gone to join Jesus. Also, Max Cobbey passed from this life and
joined Jesus in eternal life on June 28, 2008. The only one that might
still be here on Earth is Joyce Overholt. I have found one person on
the Internet by that name and I have written her but she has not
responded.

Yet another person who was associated with SIL at that time and with
whom I have corresponded since was Kendall D. Decker, so I decided to
look him up and was shocked to discover that he too joined Jesus on

Friday, January 13, 2012
Old January 16th 12, 09:02 PM posted to alt.christnet.public,alt.religion.christian,alt.religion,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Jan 16, 8:45*pm, samsloan wrote:

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of
the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six
hundred threescore and six.

The Simple English Bible

This is true wisdom. The person who has understanding should figure
out the number of the wild animal. (It is the same way that men
count.) Its number is 666.

So the 5-letter word BEAST is changed to WILD ANIMAL.
LOROL!
Old January 16th 12, 09:21 PM posted to alt.christnet.public,alt.religion.christian,alt.religion,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

In the start was the what you are looking at.
Old January 16th 12, 10:36 PM posted to alt.christnet.public,alt.religion.christian,alt.religion,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

On Jan 16, 1:02*pm, Offramp wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:45*pm, samsloan wrote:

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of
the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six
hundred threescore and six.

The Simple English Bible

This is true wisdom. The person who has understanding should figure
out the number of the wild animal. (It is the same way that men
count.) Its number is 666.

So the 5-letter word BEAST is changed to WILD ANIMAL.
LOROL!

Good point, thank you.

Obviously "Beast" was not in their list of 3,000 acceptable common
English language words and when you think about it how often do you
use this word in any other contest except for Revelations?