Old March 25th 04, 04:19 AM
D. B. Rea

Default 2nd Q. financials?

Now that the third quarter of FY 2003 has passed, any chance of EVER seeing
those illusory 2nd. Quarter financial statements?

Dan Rea
Old March 25th 04, 01:36 PM
StanB

"D. B. Rea" wrote in message

Now that the third quarter of FY 2003 has passed, any chance of EVER

seeing
those illusory 2nd. Quarter financial statements?

They've been posted for eons.

StanB

Old March 25th 04, 03:44 PM
D. B. Rea

-snip-
2nd. Quarter financial statements?

They've been posted for eons.

StanB

Am I looking in the wrong place? All I can find is the 2nd. Q. Narrative,
Income statement, and Quarter vs. Budget at

http://www.uschess.org/org/govern/reports_index.html

Thanks-

Dan Rea

Old March 26th 04, 12:47 AM
StanB

"D. B. Rea" wrote in message
-snip-
2nd. Quarter financial statements?

They've been posted for eons.

StanB

Am I looking in the wrong place? All I can find is the 2nd. Q. Narrative,
Income statement, and Quarter vs. Budget at

http://www.uschess.org/org/govern/reports_index.html

Thanks-

You're right. Bill never posted the revised balance sheet. I'll get on it
tomorrow.

Stan

Old March 27th 04, 01:04 PM
Roger

Default ICC's $ (Was 2nd Q. financials?)

He must have been too busy negotiating Chess Cafe's sponsorship of the
USCF Grand Prix for a whopping $10,000 prize. How can AF4C get $25,000
out of Chessmaster for a 2-week long tournament, but the USCF can only
get $10,000 for a year event that covers hundreds of tournaments and
comes with a juicy million-dollar B&E agreement?

Has anyone else noticed this? If you take the B&E contract advance and
the Grand Prix prize from Chess Cafe and combine them, it equals
$25,000, which is the same amount that the USCF used to get annually
from the Internet Chess Club for joint-marketing.

If the USCF is so hard up for cash, and thinks $25,000 is such a large
amount of money, why haven't they gone back to the ICC?

It seems that every new board that comes in uses the US Chess Live
platform as a hotbutton to get elected, particularly Mr. Hanke. But
once they get into office, it's business as usual. The most recent
issue of Chess Live had an article congratulating US Chess Live for
being the official site of the USCF for 4 years.

If you remember, it was the GamesParlor contract that made Redman et
all lose the election way back when. Years have since passed and the
boards since then, led by McCrary and Marinello, continue to make the
same mistakes of the past.

Has anyone actually logged in to US Chess Live recently? I'm curious
if its as bad as everyone says it is.

Roger, a playchess.com user - It's FREE!

-snip-

Old March 27th 04, 01:15 PM
Tim Hanke

"Roger" wrote ...
It seems that every new board that comes in uses the US Chess Live
platform as a hotbutton to get elected, particularly Mr. Hanke.

Why do you say this? I can't remember saying much of anything about U.S.
Chess Live. It's certainly not a hotbutton issue for me.

Who are you really? And why have you become one of my personal trolls? You
are one of the anonymous people here who specializes in making up slurs.
It's regrettable so much of the discussion on this newsgroup is driven by
misguided individuals like you (Sam Sloan being the premier example of your
type). I can't imagine what sort of gratification you get from this.

Tim Hanke

Old March 30th 04, 09:45 AM
John Fernandez

Subject: ICC's $ (Was 2nd Q. financials?)
From: Padstack
Date: 3/30/2004 1:23 AM Eastern Standard Time
On 28 Mar 2004 02:55:28 GMT,
eepmeep (John
Fernandez) wrote:

wrote:

If the USCF is so hard up for cash, and thinks $25,000 is such a large
amount of money, why haven't they gone back to the ICC?

It's hard to consider ICC an acceptable partner these days.

John Fernandez

Why is that ?

A few reasons seem to suggest themselves.

- Prior history between the USCF and ICC is not good. It's been now over 3
years since the first contract broke up. Given the way that happened, it would
be insane of ICC to make the same deal, the new one would have to be a bit more
restrictive.

- ICC already has quite a bit of marketing - the benefits to such a contract
may not be worth $25,000 anymore. I can't imagine why ICC would want to do
anything more than advertise in Chess Life, as the previous other parts of the
contract (such as mailing ICC fliers, and the website stuff) may be unpalatable
to either or both parties.

- ICC isn't the unslayable dragon anymore. Playchess (ChessBase) has made huge
inroads, and made some huge technological leaps. Even WCN has incorporated
multimedia, and still has good funding.

- ICC has shown an incredible amount of corporate instability. I believe they
are now on their 7th "General Manager" or whatever in the past 9 years. (Even
worse than the USCF and EDs!) Plus, there has been some concern about the
previous attempted sale. The strange circumstances around chess.fm don't help
either.

- ICC is viewed by many of the "old guard" in the USCF as being one of the
major reasons for the USCF's financial downfall. While it certainly played SOME
role, it's also clearly not as big as some claim. Quite a few would go nutso.

- Being locked in a contract right now is a bad thing, in all likelihood. Who
knows what the future holds for PlayChess/ICC/WCN/GamesParlor/??. Unless the
payout is huge, I don't see why USCF should rush into some partnership.

USCF is basically some silly girl that had a good boyfriend and dumped him for
some scummy guy who turned out to be a piece of garbage but stays with him
anyway. The solution isn't to go back to the boyfriend, it's to stay single.

John Fernandez