Old March 28th 04, 10:05 PM
Richard Van Riper

Default Women's Olympic Team - - Problems Just Starting

Problem Resolved ??? No, problems just starting!

This has got to be a classic example of how a political bureaucracy can
screw up a relatively simple process.

Why not just designate the strongest, highest ranked, USA woman player
(Polgar) as captain of the Women's Team and let her pick the 4 players she
considers strongest and most able to offer the USA the best chances for
winning a medal in the Olympics? Then get the USCF politicos out of her
team's way and let them work together to build a strong team over several
months. During this time they could also travel to several big USA cities,
get media coverage, promote the team and raise funds for support.

Instead the politicians choose to destroy Polgar's Dream Team, who has a
contract with the USCF ED, and who have been practicing together for several
months. Now we have a circus of events that will drag on through the next 2
months and a "team" will not even exist until mid-year.

I noticed in the August version of the USCF invitation rules, it says in
true bureaucratic prose:

( INVITATIONS ARE A PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT
Note: USCF invitations are a privilege, not a right afforded to any player
by virtue of his or her status as a USCF member. The USCF reserves the right
to not issue invitations to any particular event, or to change these
criteria without advance notice.)

So, maybe by Summertime if the politicos don't like the outcome of the
Spring Circus, they'll reissue some new rules and we'll have another round
of games to choose team members.

I really feel sorry for Susan Polgar after all the hard work she has been
doing trying to promote women's chess in the USA, and develop a team capable
of winning an Olympic medal that would help make young girls in this country
aware of the fun and enjoyment they can have playing chess.

Being a vindictive type, if I were Susan, I would enter all my Dream Team
players in the US Women Championship 2004 and be sure to have them "go easy"
in any games when my Dream Team members were playing against the loser of
the Jennifer-Rusudan match, and thereby greatly improve the chances of
reuniting the team as originally composed.

Rich in Phoenix