Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 16th 12, 07:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,381
Default Why I am sick and tired of reading about Susan Polgar

An editorial 'Blast from the Past' I wrote some years ago. Nothing has
changed.

Why I am sick and tired
of reading about Susan Polgar
by Phil Innes



You see her here you see her there, you see her everywhere in print
from coast-to-coast, and now or at least very soon, on varieties of
television programs, including very prominent ones. A hundred
articles already this year in mainline print media. Are you sick of
this too?

We have seen her in Mexico City surrounded by 30,000 fans; then in
Florida surrounded it seemed by that many media people during an
attempt (successful) on the Guinness Book of records simul., in Texas
opening a new metro chess HQ and even on the cover of Parade and
Lifestyles with prominent celebrities from our time and before.
Are you approaching your Polgar-limit?

Frankly, I am getting sick of it. This woman is traveling about the
country promoting chess development for young people, especially young
women, and successfully getting herself into mainstream media twice
per week.

I ask myself all sorts of questions about my resentment; “Is it
because I don’t like chess promotions?” and “Am I jealous?” and “Do I
somehow, as a secret factor kept from my conscious self, not want to
see chess promoted?” and “Is it because she is female?” or “because
she is not born here” and “insert your own miserable question,” why
one has Polgar-exhaustion.
And I answer to all these questions; “no.”

It is because she seems to be the only person doing it. Now – I know
about other people who promote chess, on the west coast there is the
excellent Jude Acers [who is OK post New Orleans, BTW] and I know
about the historic George Koltanowski, the very sort of American
Staunton who promoted chess, but the Polgar phenomena in the States is
at a greater level. Quantitatively she is achieving an average of two
major media write-ups per week, vastly exceeding all other players and
institutions combined.

Why should I resent this? Because I compare it to the paid staff of
USCF, some 30 people, who achieve two articles in major media, not per
week, but per year.

Ostensibly both the Susan Polgar Foundation and the United States
Chess Federation exist for the same purpose – to further chess into
mainstream culture. Yet anyone reading these statistics, or even the
newspapers, and who had a few dollars to promote chess, would make
their choice as a no-brainer! Which of the two actually can be said
to promote chess into mainstream culture in a superior way? My ten
dollars is going to get 100 here and 2 there…
In effect I am asking “what’s the matter with the rest of us?”

Next week my friend, Mr. Paul Truong, VP of Susan Polgar Foundation,
is going to send me two more articles beginning “Susan did …” and this
is an obnoxious practice, no? I really want to send him something
beginning, “This week Maurice….” or “coming soon, a Brit GM tour of
the States, taking in the following cities…” and of course the
friendly jibe “take that! Mr. T.” but damned if I am good enough to do
it!

But I am going to try to put one in his eye, and so should you, dear
reader.

This Polgar woman has proven that it can be done. She has
demonstrated that Americans have a huge interest in the well-being of
their sons and daughters, and are conscious of what benefits them, and
to whom they can relay this aspiration and trust.

She has also demonstrated that it does not take a million dollars to
begin, or ‘going Hollywood’ and relying on glamour. In person Susan
Polgar is a quiet spoken individual, modest, attentive to other’s
opinions, but most of all, dedicated. Am I a bit “struck?” Sure!
But I am also a mean, sometimes a very mean realist.

In short, this person is not cute, she is compelling.

So what’s the matter with the rest of us?

We should follow this lead and compete on several broad fronts, and do
so without distortions by simply representing the real nature and
character of our game as genuinely as we can – with complete
confidence that the general public is receptive. If I have learned
anything from these exposures to S. Polgar, it is this!

We should not do this in order that I can write my friend Paul Truong,
wiping his eye! He would be the first to applaud the effort (whatever
the result). We should do this because we have to-date misled
ourselves that it cannot be done. Somehow we convinced ourselves in
this country that unless Robert James Fischer is looking over your
shoulder… and that the American public has no interest otherwise… we
convinced ourselves that Americans cannot generate grandmasters [two
in 25 years!] and that we could not follow Olympiad victories in the
thirties which provided four gold medals from four attempts.

This Polgar woman disproves both our objections as to our capability
and to the public’s reception of chess, and for all these reasons I
hope her share of the chess-development market is sensibly diminished
in proportion, while the volume of her reported contributions
increases.
  #2   Report Post  
Old February 16th 12, 08:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,170
Default Why I am sick and tired of reading about Susan Polgar

On Feb 16, 7:30*pm, ChessFire wrote:

Why I am sick and tired of reading about Susan Polgar
by Phil Innes


I did not read beyond this point.
Can you give me an executive summary?
  #3   Report Post  
Old February 16th 12, 09:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,170
Default Why I am sick and tired of reading about Susan Polgar

iT IS NOT sOOSAN anyway it is Zszuzszaa.

Get it right!
  #4   Report Post  
Old February 17th 12, 03:53 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,073
Default Why I am sick and tired of reading about Susan Polgar

On Feb 16, 2:30*pm, ChessFire wrote:
An editorial 'Blast from the Past' I wrote some years ago. Nothing has
changed.

Why I am sick and tired
of reading about Susan Polgar
by Phil Innes

You see her here you see her there, you see her everywhere in print
from coast-to-coast, and now or at least very soon, on varieties of
television programs, including very prominent ones. *A hundred
articles already this year in mainline print media. *Are you sick of
this too?

We have seen her in Mexico City surrounded by 30,000 fans; then in
Florida surrounded it seemed by that many media people during an
attempt (successful) on the Guinness Book of records simul., in Texas
opening a new metro chess HQ and even on the cover of Parade and
Lifestyles with prominent celebrities from our time and before.
Are you approaching your Polgar-limit?

Frankly, I am getting sick of it. *This woman is traveling about the
country promoting chess development for young people, especially young
women, and successfully getting herself into mainstream media twice
per week.

I ask myself all sorts of questions about my resentment; “Is it
because I don’t like chess promotions?” and “Am I jealous?” and “Do I
somehow, as a secret factor kept from my conscious self, not want to
see chess promoted?” and “Is it because she is female?” or “because
she is not born here” and “insert your own miserable question,” why
one has Polgar-exhaustion.
And I answer to all these questions; “no.”

It is because she seems to be the only person doing it. *Now – I know
about other people who promote chess, on the west coast there is the
excellent Jude Acers [who is OK post New Orleans, BTW] and I know
about the historic George Koltanowski, the very sort of American
Staunton who promoted chess, but the Polgar phenomena in the States is
at a greater level. *Quantitatively she is achieving an average of two
major media write-ups per week, vastly exceeding all other players and
institutions combined.

Why should I resent this? *Because I compare it to the paid staff of
USCF, some 30 people, who achieve two articles in major media, not per
week, but per year.

Ostensibly both the Susan Polgar Foundation and the United States
Chess Federation exist for the same purpose – to further chess into
mainstream culture. *Yet anyone reading these statistics, or even the
newspapers, and who had a few dollars to promote chess, would make
their choice as a no-brainer! *Which of the two actually can be said
to promote chess into mainstream culture in a superior way? *My ten
dollars is going to get 100 here and 2 there…
In effect I am asking “what’s the matter with the rest of us?”

Next week my friend, Mr. Paul Truong, VP of Susan Polgar Foundation,
is going to send me two more articles beginning “Susan did …” and this
is an obnoxious practice, no? *I really want to send him something
beginning, “This week Maurice….” or “coming soon, a Brit GM tour of
the States, taking in the following cities…” and of course the
friendly jibe “take that! Mr. T.” but damned if I am good enough to do
it!

But I am going to try to put one in his eye, and so should you, dear
reader.

This Polgar woman has proven that it can be done. *She has
demonstrated that Americans have a huge interest in the well-being of
their sons and daughters, and are conscious of what benefits them, and
to whom they can relay this aspiration and trust.

She has also demonstrated that it does not take a million dollars to
begin, or ‘going Hollywood’ and relying on glamour. *In person Susan
Polgar is a quiet spoken individual, modest, attentive to other’s
opinions, but most of all, dedicated. *Am I a bit “struck?” *Sure!
But I am also a mean, sometimes a very mean realist.

In short, this person is not cute, she is compelling.

So what’s the matter with the rest of us?

We should follow this lead and compete on several broad fronts, and do
so without distortions by simply representing the real nature and
character of our game as genuinely as we can – with complete
confidence that the general public is receptive. *If I have learned
anything from these exposures to S. Polgar, it is this!

We should not do this in order that I can write my friend Paul Truong,
wiping his eye! *He would be the first to applaud the effort (whatever
the result). *We should do this because we have to-date misled
ourselves that it cannot be done. *Somehow we convinced ourselves in
this country that unless Robert James Fischer is looking over your
shoulder… and that the American public has no interest otherwise… we
convinced ourselves that Americans cannot generate grandmasters [two
in 25 years!] and that we could not follow Olympiad victories in the
thirties which provided four gold medals from four attempts.

This Polgar woman disproves both our objections as to our capability
and to the public’s reception of chess, and for all these reasons I
hope her share of the chess-development market is sensibly diminished
in proportion, while the volume of her reported contributions
increases.


Yes, that justifies everything. Indeed.
  #5   Report Post  
Old February 17th 12, 12:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,170
Default Why I am sick and tired of reading about Susan Polgar

I was looking at some old Sloan et al papers yesterday. Normally in a
court case the litigant who has an AKA is the one in the wrong. But
Polgar, Truong and Sloan ALL have AKAs!


  #6   Report Post  
Old February 21st 12, 06:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,536
Default Why I am sick and tired of reading about Susan Polgar

On Feb 17, 8:02*pm, Offramp wrote:
I was looking at some old Sloan et al papers yesterday. Normally in a
court case the litigant who has an AKA is the one in the wrong. But
Polgar, Truong and Sloan ALL have AKAs!


AK-47s?

RL
  #7   Report Post  
Old February 21st 12, 09:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,035
Default Why I am sick...

raylopez99 wrote:
..
AK-47s?


For merkel's "ample" butt - olive?..

..
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017