Old March 30th 04, 08:37 PM

Default Sam Sloan's Candidate's Statement for Chess Life

The USCF is in bad shape. I have never said this before. We have lost
more than one million dollars in the past few years. We have lost
money eight years in a row.

The new board, acting with the best of intentions, is in the process
of making matters worse.

What is the solution? We should remember the reason we are still in
existence. We should go back to basics. I am opposed to plans by the
current board to outsource almost everything. I strongly oppose the
plan to outsource the books and equipment business, as that is out
most profitable area and the area where we earned the two million
dollars that was squandered by recent mismanagement. I oppose the plan
to outsource scholastic chess. I oppose the plan to sell the building
and move to a small town in Tennessee. I do support the new Executive
Director.

Old March 31st 04, 02:16 AM
StanB

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

All of these decisions were made before Bill Goichberg became ED. He
has to follow their orders to keep his job.

You should remind him of that.

StanB

Old March 31st 04, 02:33 AM
HAASpittle

".We should go back to basics.." (Sam Sloan)
============
Sam, they are going back to basics. They are cutting Chess HQ down to its most
fundamental operations... the maggie, the ratings, some governance... and
that's it. It's just an oversized state chess association.

Haas

Old March 31st 04, 03:05 AM

On 31 Mar 2004 01:33:08 GMT, (HAASpittle) wrote:

".We should go back to basics.." (Sam Sloan)
============
Sam, they are going back to basics. They are cutting Chess HQ down to its most
fundamental operations... the maggie, the ratings, some governance... and
that's it. It's just an oversized state chess association.

Haas

You are wrong, as usual. Are you the infamous RSHaas? Is this your new
screen name? Does the word Mensa mean anything to you?

My original candidate's statement was 267 words. I was required to cut
it down to 150 words. If you could the words you will see that they
come to exactly 150.

The most fundamental operations are not "the maggie, the ratings, some
governance". Chess Life Magazine started in 1960. The USCF Rating
Sytem started in 1950. The USCF was formed in 1939. Do you know what
the USCF did in 1939?

Here is what it did:

1. The first thing it did was organize the US Championship. (Really
the first US Championship).

2. The next thing is did was starting teams to the World Chess
Olympiad and players to other international events (interrupted by the
war).

3. The USCF made its money by selling chess books and equipment.

In 1945, the USCF first published a yearbook. In about 1947 it started
publishing Chess Life newspaper.

There was no need for a magazine because we had Chess Review magazine
and the market was not big enough for two magazines.

Old March 31st 04, 04:21 AM

On 31 Mar 2004 02:50:54 GMT, (Mike Nolan) wrote:

(Sam Sloan) writes:

The most fundamental operations are not "the maggie, the ratings, some
governance". Chess Life Magazine started in 1960. The USCF Rating
Sytem started in 1950. The USCF was formed in 1939. Do you know what
the USCF did in 1939?

How is that even relevant anymore?

Moreover, several of the policy decisions you oppose are already implemented.

By the time the new Board members take office, we'll be in the 5th month
of the ChessCafe operation. Kinda late to stop it, methinks.

Why not be a bit more proactive, Sam? What policies would you suggest
to reverse membership trends? What services should be examined for
policy actions if the USCF still doesn't run a surplus after letting
another 10 or so employees go once the sales and shipping departments
are phased out over the next few weeks?
--
Mike Nolan

Your points are entirely valid. I happen to believe that in the long
run the Chess Cafe deal will fail. As far as I know, the final
contract has not been signed. Obviously, once it has been signed, we
will need to implement it.

I was only allowed 150 words, so I had to cut out much of what I
wanted to say.

Regarding memberships, my basic position is unchanged from last year.
Adult dues should be $39. Kiddie dues $19. No economy memberships or
no-magazine memberships, except possibly for foreign players.

I suspect that most USCF members are not aware of the planned changes
of closing down B&E, selling the building etc., and when they find out
about it (through my candidate's statement) they will be upset. I
would not want to be Beatriz when she finds out how angry they are. I
really cannot predict the future course of events for the USCF.

Old March 31st 04, 04:55 AM

On 30 Mar 2004 19:51:52 -0800, Paul Rubin
wrote:

(Sam Sloan) writes:
Regarding memberships, my basic position is unchanged from last year.
Adult dues should be $39. Kiddie dues $19. No economy memberships or
no-magazine memberships, except possibly for foreign players.

Not even for multiple members at the same mailing address?

Well, OK, Family Memberships are allowed.

But we will never reduce the dues to the $5 you are advocating.