Old March 31st 04, 11:32 PM
Kenneth Sloan

Default US Invitational Championships - the Sloan Plan

A modest proposal designed to make all involved equally angry with me:

a) establish two separate events: the US Invitational Championship (USIC) and
the Women's US Invitational Championship (WUSIC)

b) hold these events annually with 6 months in between. For example,
hold the USIC in the Fall (in Seattle) and the WUSIC in the Spring
(perhaps in Seattle...perhaps somewhere equally appealing, like
Rochester, NY...perhaps in co-ordination with one of the scholastic
"Spring Nationals"???...perhaps not.)

c) cross-qualify Women for these two events: the winner of the WUSIC
qualifies for the next USIC (if co-champions, qualify all co-champions)
and the top Woman in the USIC qualifies for the next WUSIC (use standard
Swiss tiebreaks, not a playoff - with luck this "qualification" will
usually be unnecessary).

d) continue to hold the USIC as a moderate-sized Swiss, with
qualification events as done now.

e) (optional) continue to reserve a small number of qualifier slots in
the USIC for women.

f) hold the WUSIC as a round robin. No "qualifiers" (other than "top
woman in the USIC"). All invitations based on criteria similar to those
used for the USIC *except* for the lack of qualification slots. Invite
16; require 2 month's notice of intention to play, and design the RR
around the number of players who accept the invitation. If an odd
number, allow the local organizer a "wild card". (actually, I have an
even better idea on what to do with an odd number in a RR...but that's
another story, for another time).

The motivation for this suggestion is that the current scheme was an
interesting failure. It was worth trying...but we've learned from the
experiment and it's not worth perpetuating. I'm hoping that even the
sponsors now realize that it is inappropriate to award significant
"class prizes" in a Swiss. Spinning the WUSIC off (again) might attract
more sponsorship (different sponsors, in another city...or enhanced
sponsorship from the same group).

With an "emergency WUSIC" being held this Spring, it's conceivable that
this scheme could be adopted (with minor transition tweaking) almost
immediately.

If you'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend, drop by the K-1 section of the
National Elementary and discuss. I'll have plenty of free time.

--
Kenneth Sloan
Computer and Information Sciences (205) 934-2213
Old April 1st 04, 02:40 AM
Jerome Bibuld

Dear Dr. Sloan,

Heil Dubya!

I would quibble on details, but, in principle, your proposal sounds eminently
reasonable. Can the USCF afford to implement it?

[...]

Heute Uhmuhrikkka, Afghanistan, Irak und Hati. Morgen die ganze Welt!

Uhmuhrikkka, Uhmuhrikkka ber Alles!

(The more information that comes out about the attacks on the Twin Towers and
the Pentagon of 11 September 2001 the more it appears that those attacks were
organized by the rulers of the United States and were intended to have the same
effect on the people of the United States that the Reichstag fire had on the
people of Germany in 1933.)

Fight terrorism! Dissolve the CIA and disarm the Pentagon! (I have been
watching the hearings of the Commission to investigate the attacks on the Twin
Towers and the Pentagon of 11 September 2001. As a result, I have become
convinced that every one of the witnesses and their four Presidents - and every
one of the Commissioners - should be tried for:
(1. Conspiracy to commit terrorism; and/or
(2. Commission of terrorist acts; and/or
(3. Conspiracy to commit murder; and/or
(4. Commission of murder; and/or
(5. Treason; and/or
(6. Suborning one or more of the above acts.)

Fraternally,

Jerome Bibuld
gens una sumus