Old April 4th 04, 11:15 PM
The Masked Bishop

Default Chess Life still needs an editor

I've browsed through the recent copy, and while the English is
improving, the lack of a real editor at the helm still shows.

--Larry Evans "Reflections" article. No intro, no conclusion, and no
logical structure. Just a meandering set of paragraphs, some with
poorly-interspersed quotes, most of them unrelated to each other.

--Cover story. Chess Life continues its new fascination with
techno-babble. Dense, blandly-written prose which lost my interest
within two paragraphs.

--Kalev Pehme's continued exploration of English verb tense agreement
gets tiring.

--Andy Soltis continues to explore the twilight zones of chess. Well,
someone has to do it, right? For history buffs only.

--Susan Polgar's new photo is nice. Too bad Pal Benko insists on
running his circa 1954 mug shot. And Shabalov needs to buy shirts with
collars big enough for his neck.

--Jerry Hanken's gratuitious, sexist comment about Jennifer Shahade
was not appreciated, and is exactly the kind of thing a real editor
would cut out of a professional publication.

Bottom line: better than last month's atrocity, but not by much. Chess
Life is still running on its worst streak of all time.

TMB
Old April 5th 04, 12:16 AM
Ron Suarez

On 4 Apr 2004 15:15:25 -0700, (The Masked Bishop) wrote:

[...]

TMB, you truly have a case of mental and humane destitution.

It's a chess magazine schmuck!

The technical article is about catching internet cheating in CHESS
Just because you could not understand the intricacies of the article
does not mean it was bland. It means that you are dull mentally..

Larry Evans' article gives a very accurate and good viewpoint of the
professional chess scene both historically and presently. You may not
like his style but who really cares what you like? You are certainly
not in a position in life to matter anyway.

Pelme is improving and most likely will continue to improve. Give the
guy some slack you hypercritical boor.

Soltis' article is certainly consistent with his style of the last 15
years or so. If you don't like it just don't read it.

Pal Benko's picture is certainly not from the 50's. There are other
pictures of the contributors that are a few years old, so what? If
this is truly reflective of your pickiunish standards, you need to get
a life.

Are you seriously calling Hanken's, "Jennifer Shahade, as beautiful as
she is strong,..." comment sexist and gratuitious? If so, you really
do need to get out more!

Bottom line, TMB is showing signs of being an anal retentive,
insulting, idiot.

Ron Suarez

P.S. By the way TMB, if you find the above post insulting to you,
good. You obviously deserve it.

Ron Suarez
Old April 5th 04, 12:21 AM
John Fernandez

Yeah but what the **** was that "Cheating" article??? Good god.

John Fernandez
Old April 5th 04, 01:30 AM
Angelo DePalma

A way to cheat readers out of 20 minutes of their lives?

And don't use that fuken langooge on this frikkin newsgroup ok?

"John Fernandez" wrote

Old April 5th 04, 03:11 AM
Angelo DePalma

I think online cheating is a great topic. The article could have been
shorter, and more anecdotal. Let's face it, anyone with an ego who loses 10
in a row to someone +/- 100 rating points suspects cheating. I do, and I'm a
pretty good loser OTB. If I had written that article I would have included a
lot of personal stuff. Like the time I got creamed by a 1300 on a USCL G/10.
Or the time a 1920 on ICC beat me 13 in a row, playing instantly (never
using more than about 40 seconds for a G/3). He could have interviewed
someone from ICC, or players who felt they'd been cheated.

All in all, though, I think the recent issue was an improvement over the
last one. They actually covered a tournament that ended six weeks previously
(USATE)! But generally, CL has a long way to go before it's considered a
serious chess publication. Because of USCF's financial difficulties I
wouldn't be surprised to see very up-and-down quality for several years.

I can sum up my impression of the last issue in one word. You know what it
is, the King of Instruments. Rhymes (sortof) with the German word for
"borrow."

Or you can complete this sentence and translate the last word:

Bach spielt eine grosse ______ .

Angelo Saxon

"Ron Suarez" wrote in message
On 04 Apr 2004 23:21:49 GMT, eepmeep (John
Fernandez) wrote:

Yeah but what the **** was that "Cheating" article??? Good god.

John Fernandez

Yep, I agree with you John that they could have picked a better
subject to write on. There have been some real howlers throughout the
past though. I guess this is one for the "books".

Ron Suarez

Old April 5th 04, 05:01 AM
HAASpittle

"..You are certainly
not in a position in life to matter anyway..."
(Ron Suarez)
What sort of positions in life must we occupy in order to "matter?"

Haas