Old April 7th 04, 04:34 AM
Scott

Default Why do Americans place so low in world rankings???

Why do Americans place so low in world rankings?

Is it because of our mixed gene pool?

Is it because of our poor diet?

Is it because of our economy?

Old April 7th 04, 05:05 AM
Neil Brennen

"Scott" wrote in message
news
Why do Americans place so low in world rankings?

Is it because of our mixed gene pool?

Is it because of our poor diet?

Is it because of our economy?

Is it because of silly trolls named Scott?

Old April 7th 04, 09:31 AM
HAASpittle

"Why do Americans place so low in world rankings?" (scottyboston)
============
I think it is due to the fact that chess is not important.

Haas
Old April 7th 04, 09:46 AM
HAASpittle

We still have most of the world's best banjo pickers. But watch out,... I hear
bluegrass is really big in Russia these days.

Haas
Old April 7th 04, 12:34 PM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

Scott wrote:

Why do Americans place so low in world rankings?

Do they? If so, I'd guess it has more to do with number of total
players, players per capita and lack of government support than
anything else. Chess as a professional sport doesn't pay off as well
monetarily as football or baseball. Becoming a professional chess
player might not be an intriguing career option in the US, compared to
Russia or China.

Claus-Juergen

Old April 7th 04, 01:15 PM
Amos Soma

It is primarly because most adult Americans are not willing to live on
$25,000 per year (if that much). U.S. chess players are not subsidized like
they are in many other countries. I'm amazed there are as many good
American chess players as there are! Just getting to IM level requires an
enormous amount of time playing and studying. After working 8-10 hours per
day, I don't know how most folks do it.

Old April 7th 04, 02:18 PM
EZoto

The reason why you sniveling, slimy, troll is that WE JUST AIN'T GOOD
ENOUGH!!!! HAPPY! HUH! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!!!!!

EZoto
Old April 7th 04, 04:55 PM
Scott

No, this is an honest question. Why is it that the best, most
dedicated, smartest, skilled, educated, American-born and raised chess
players do not make it far up the ladder in the big FIDE European
tournaments but players from all over the world come to American
tournaments such as at Foxwoods and the World Open and destroy us?

-Scott

news

Old April 7th 04, 05:35 PM
ian burton

"Scott" wrote in message
news
Why do Americans place so low in world rankings?

Is it because of our mixed gene pool?

Is it because of our poor diet?

Is it because of our economy?

Much, I believe, has to do with our booming economy. American chess
players were at their best during the Great Depression, when work was hard
to come by. One thinks immediately of Fine, Reshevsky, and Kashdan, with
Horowitz not too far behind.

Today, too, those who are interested in problem solving can earn a good
living by turning to computer programming, a profession that did not exist
in the past.
--
Ian Burton
[Please Reply to Newsgroup]

Old April 7th 04, 06:05 PM
John Fernandez

From: (Scott)
Date: 4/7/2004 11:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time
No, this is an honest question. Why is it that the best, most
dedicated, smartest, skilled, educated, American-born and raised chess
players do not make it far up the ladder in the big FIDE European
tournaments but players from all over the world come to American
tournaments such as at Foxwoods and the World Open and destroy us?

-Scott

First of all, most of the Americans on the list weren't even "raised" (in a
chess sense) in the USA. We've tended to get players who were already forged
(Onischuk being the most recent example).

Why is it? I blame the tournament structure. It seems clear to me from my
experience that the best training grounds are things like team matches, which
are prevalent around Europe. Someone gets to 2300 and can play in the French
League, Bundesliga, Dutch League, Polish League, or whatever. Cost of living is
generally lower so being able to do well as a chessplayer isn't bad. Heck, in
some of those countries, it's a pretty good deal to be a pro player.

And as far as "they come here to kill us", the reality is, most don't. Very few
foreign types are very successful here (Smirin being the biggest exception I
can think of.)

John Fernandez