Old April 7th 04, 11:59 PM
Scott

Default Advice for my 6yo bro?

My 6yo brother (just six in March) has been getting steadily better -
he has been playing chess since I taught him at 4yo and currently he
has a high-rated tournament-playing IM as his teacher. If I were to
guess my brother's rating I would say 1200. We brought him to a
psychologist for testing and his IQ tested at 154. Currently he
attends a "gifted" school where there are casual chess games. The
only problem is that we don't want to enter him into a kid tournament
as typically their ratings are so low yet at the same time if we enter
him into an adult tournament he may feel intimidated (as he is small
even for his age) and is known to flip out a bit (crying, stamping)
when/if he loses a game. He does seem to genuinely enjoy playing and
is perfectly happy playing the computer (does not seem to get upset at
the computer). Yet he likes the idea of winning especially
trophies/money etc. Any advice on how to proceed? Thank you.

-Scott
Old April 8th 04, 12:06 AM
Gunny Bunny

Sounds like you have a lil Bobby in every way shape and form !

Best thing to do would be to have him kidnapped and deprogrammed immediately

m...

Old April 8th 04, 04:47 PM
EditorialStaff

(Scott) wrote:

My 6yo brother (just six in March) has been getting steadily
better - Any advice on how to proceed?

Keep Gordon Roy Parker AKA "Ray Gordon" away from him, lest he
take a dislike to being called on his bull****, and you end up
being threatened by him, as he did to dozens of people in the
Gymnastics newsgroups...

Hope this helps.

---
-
The Editorial Staff
-----
A quote from "Ray Gordon"
"(For a dissenting opinion on my character, please visit
the following website:
http://members.tripod.com/~rayfaq.html)*
This site contains many lies about me, but as a defender of
free speech I fully support its right to exist."
*The original RayFAQ was removed from the internet as a
result of dozens of complaints from Gordon Roy Parker.
The site has been updated, and can now be found at:
http://www.ray-gordon.com If Mr. Parker feels that the
original site is is significantly different, he should
upload it to the internet, so everyone can compare the two.

Freedom of Speech is WORTHLESS without Social Responsibility.
The OFFICIAL Ray Gordon FAQ: http://www.ray-gordon.com
Everything you need to know about Usenet's biggest NewsLoon!
BACK by POPULAR DEMAND! For an UNlimited time!
41,000+ Satisfied Visitors, 1 Disgruntled Malcontent.

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Old April 11th 04, 02:23 PM
Kym

"Scott" wrote
My 6yo brother (just six in March) has been getting steadily better -
he has been playing chess since I taught him at 4yo and currently he
has a high-rated tournament-playing IM as his teacher. If I were to

One question - is the kid having fun? ...
Yes - keep going and keep it fun
No - stop and let him play baseball, climb trees, throw rocks into a pond,
ride a bike or whatever

HE IS ONLY A KID! Kids are supposed to have fun - gifted or not.