Old April 7th 04, 11:52 PM
Gunny Bunny

Default Ruslan Ponomariov's Open Letter

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1569

Ruslan Ponomariov's Open Letter to the ACP

07.04.2004 "I am not trying to hold on to my title whatever it takes,"
writes the still-reigning FIDE champion, "but I can't put up with the
absolute dictatorship of FIDE. I am ready to defend my title on the
conditions that were clearly set at the time I won it." He also attacks
Garry Kasparov for the "exclusive privileges" he has received. Here's the
letter and relevant links...

To the Members of the ACP
Dear Colleagues,

I would like to inform you about my views on the most important issues of
chess life.

The latest FIDE decisions regarding the World Championship granted exclusive
privileges to GM Garry Kasparov. This is unprecedented, not only in chess
history, but probably in the complete Olympic history as well. Mr. Kasparov
bestowed on himself the title "Strongest chess player of the world", even
though there isn't any mention of such a title in FIDE Statutes or in any
other official papers. I view this situation as contrary to all the rules of
fair play.

FIDE is constantly trying to put the blame on me for canceling the
Ponomariov - Kasparov match. I hereby want to officially state that neither
I nor the Organizing Committee of the match had any authority to cancel it.
The match was unilaterally cancelled by the FIDE president, Mr. Ilyumzhinov.
Unfortunately, starting with the General Assembly in Bled, the FIDE board
exclusively defended the interests of Mr. Kasparov, although, as an
international organization, it should have been taking a neutral position,
and should have guaranteed that the conditions are fair and equal for all
participants.

It concerns me greatly that the players' opinions are getting less and less
consideration, and that the players are becoming mainly just a source of
income for all kinds of officials who sponge on chess. The prize fund for
the World championship is reduced by half, choosing Libya as a venue will
result in dividing the participants into first-rate and second-rate groups.
If we stand by and do nothing, the chances are it will keep getting worse.

I am not trying to hold on to my title whatever it takes, but I can't put up
with the absolute dictatorship of FIDE. I am ready to defend my title on the
conditions that were clearly set at the time I won it. I ask you, my
colleagues, for understanding. I hope that the Association of Chess
Professionals will be able to change this complicated situation.

Sincerely yours,
Ruslan Ponomariov, World Champion

Old April 8th 04, 03:41 AM
garrubal

I've always felt that Kasparov got special treatment at the Prague agreement
(basically, equal status to that of the FIDE Champion and the Braingames
Champion). However, the changes that have occurred since have basically
eliminated Ponomariov as the FIDE Champion. Kasparov's status did not
elevate since the fall of the Kasparov-Ponomariov match. It stayed the same.

Ponomariov should not act all innocent, since it was he who missed the
deadlines for stuff that seemed rather trivial. FIDE doesn't get kudos
either, for not pushing to get all problems resolved in a timely manner.
What we needed was a match, not a default or no-result. Overall, a nice
finger-pointing mess.

If Ponomariov is "ready to defend [his] title on the conditions that were
clearly set at the time [he] won it", then all he needs to do is play at the
next FIDE Knockout championship. At the time Ponomariov won the title, there
was not Kasparov-FIDE champion match scheduled yet.

.. .

Old April 8th 04, 05:16 AM
EZoto

Kind of similiar with what is happening with the NY Yankees. Bernie
Williams has been to 6 World Series. They won 4 of them and Bernie
has been the centerfielder for all of them. Now this Bozo called
Kenny Lofton is complaining that he wants to start at centerfield and
feels that he playing well and doesn't deserve to sit on the bench.
Who does he think he is? I see Pono the same way. He wins the fide
knockout tournament yet he feels he can dictate to Kasparov. If
Kasparov got this favoritism then so what? Even though Kaspy not a
nice guy he still deserves respect for his accomplishments.

EZoto
Old April 8th 04, 04:32 PM
Eopithecus

Kasparov chess skill does deserve respect, but even more than that his
name means money. Ponomariov just doesn't have the political clout or
the market forces in his corner. Neither does the invisible champion
Kramnik, who has played almost these past four years in complete
secrecy. Anand doesn't even want involved. A decision which I think
deserves respect, but it isn't going to generate interest in chess or
sponsers.

Kasparov continues to be the only game in town, without him FIDE dies.
Old April 8th 04, 05:14 PM
The Masked Bishop

Ponomariov is an idiot who only know is finally waking up and smelling
the coffee that he brewed.

It's finally dawning on this guy that he blew his shot at Kasparov (and
for chess history) by acting like an intractable ass.

Now no-one gives two turds for Ponomariov, his rather pathetic attempt
to undo his own mess, or his chess. Bye-bye, Pono. You earned your
asterisk. Go find Khalifman and play skittles.

Old April 8th 04, 05:25 PM
joe mccarron

"garrubal" wrote in message news:[email protected]
I've always felt that Kasparov got special treatment at the Prague agreement
(basically, equal status to that of the FIDE Champion and the Braingames
Champion). However, the changes that have occurred since have basically
eliminated Ponomariov as the FIDE Champion. Kasparov's status did not
elevate since the fall of the Kasparov-Ponomariov match. It stayed the same.

Ponomariov should not act all innocent, since it was he who missed the
deadlines for stuff that seemed rather trivial. FIDE doesn't get kudos
either, for not pushing to get all problems resolved in a timely manner.
What we needed was a match, not a default or no-result. Overall, a nice
finger-pointing mess.

I agree both both sides are to blame. But I blame FIDE more than Pono.
They did absolutely no negotiating other than say sign all of our
conditions in x number of hours or your out.

If Ponomariov is "ready to defend [his] title on the conditions that were
clearly set at the time [he] won it", then all he needs to do is play at the
next FIDE Knockout championship. At the time Ponomariov won the title, there
was not Kasparov-FIDE champion match scheduled yet.

Well of course now FIDE says he will also have to play Kasparov at the
end which wasn't a condition at the time he won it. Also Is it really
true that no other conditons were in effect for the world champ? No
specail seeding or anything like that? If there was nothign it seems
odd to say the championship passes as its jsut another tournament with
the name "world championship." The world champ can be eliminated in
the first round to be a candidate to compete for his own title? I know
this is how it works in some other sports - mainly team sports but not
in chess. FIDEs whole KO system just sucks.

Old April 8th 04, 06:40 PM
John A Swartz

The latest FIDE decisions regarding the World Championship granted exclusive
privileges to GM Garry Kasparov. This is unprecedented, not only in chess
history, but probably in the complete Olympic history as well.

Mr. Ponomariov seems to forget that HE also had "unprecedented" status,
in that in a time when FIDE awarded the "World Champion" title to the
winner of a knockout tournament, Ponomariov was allowed the chance to
retain his title by simply winning ONE match (rather than having to win
another knockout tournament again).

Mr. Kasparov
bestowed on himself the title "Strongest chess player of the world", even
though there isn't any mention of such a title in FIDE Statutes or in any
other official papers. I view this situation as contrary to all the rules of
fair play.

"Bestowed on himself"? Hmm...maybe Mr. Ponomariov has not aware of the
FIDE rating list?

Old April 8th 04, 09:27 PM
John Fernandez

Pono could have played in Ukraine. Instead, he chose some money and decided not
to sign.

John Fernandez
Old April 9th 04, 12:08 PM
Joseph L

}
}It's finally dawning on this guy that he blew his shot at Kasparov (and
}for chess history) by acting like an intractable ass.
}
}Now no-one gives two turds for Ponomariov, his rather pathetic attempt
}to undo his own mess, or his chess. Bye-bye, Pono. You earned your
}asterisk. Go find Khalifman and play skittles.
}

I totally agree. HE is the 1 that blew it. If the guy is WC how come I hardly ever see the
guy in any big name tourneys. He's a pussy and he dug his own grave