Old April 9th 04, 06:47 AM
ASCACHESS

Default How I got into the 1964 Republican National Convention

Goldwater had already defeated the other
moderate candidates, including Nelson Rockefeller, Richard Nixon and
Henry Cabot Lodge.

Uh, Richard Nixon did not run in 1964.

It is widely remembered by those who lived it that Nixon lost to Edmund G "Pat"
Brown in 1962 for Governor of California and told the press that they would not
have Nixon to kick around any more.

Nixon was still licking his wounds in 64.

Rp
Old April 9th 04, 05:07 PM
ASCACHESS

Goldwater had already defeated the other
moderate candidates, including Nelson Rockefeller, Richard Nixon and
Henry Cabot Lodge.

Uh, Richard Nixon did not run in 1964.

It is widely remembered by those who lived it that Nixon lost to Edmund G

"Pat"
Brown in 1962 for Governor of California and told the press that they would

not
have Nixon to kick around any more.

Nixon was still licking his wounds in 64.

Rp

Yes, but Nixon was nominated and votes were cast for him.

Sam Sloan

What does that mean?
Margaret Chase Smith got actual delegate votes, but you didn't include her.
My your definition, Mickey Mouse could have been on your list.

Rp

Old April 9th 04, 08:09 PM
ASCACHESS

Interesting story. I remember the bumper stickers for Goldwater,
Au h2o.
I also remember the Atom Bomb commercial with the little girl that LBJ
unleashed and how it devastated Barry Goldwater's chances.

I very much doubt that Goldwater could have defeated LBJ even without
that commercial.

LBJ was riding on a wave of sympathy and national unity over the JFK
assassination.

And the country wasn't yet ready to elect a real conservative to the
White House. Liberals hadn't screwed up the country enough yet.

By 1980, they sure had.

-- Steven L.

Goldwater stood little chance, but had the true believers and the little old
ladies in tennis shoes.
What chance could he have had being nominated in a place called the Cow Palace?

Rp

Old April 10th 04, 04:45 AM

On 10 Apr 2004 03:10:20 GMT, (Miriling) wrote:

On 9 April 2004
(ASCACHESS) replied in
Interesting story. I remember the bumper stickers for Goldwater,
Au h2o.

-snipped-

One of the things I remember from the August 1964 U.S. Open in Boston, where I
was a participant, was the number of people who were wearing Goldwater buttons
in the tournament hall, including John Meyer, winner of the 1964 U.S. Junior
Championship. His father was also playing in the tournament and was also
sporting a Au H2O button. The Meyer family was staunch Republican.
Sam Sloan should remember this, since he also played in the 1964 U.S. Open in
Beantown.

George Mirijanian

Yes. I remember very well. The father of John and Eugene Meyer was an
extreme right-winger and an editor of National Review. A small man who
always wore suspenders. Funny coincidence, somebody else asked me
about him yesterday in an unrelated context.

When I get around to finishing writing the story about me locked up
with a bunch of drunken American Indians, he comes in at the end of
the story.

Actually, I just remembered. Right after the conclusion of the July
1964 Republican National Convention I won $100 playing chess with a
man I met at the Oaks poker club in Emeryville (who did not realize
that I was a strong chess player), then I hitched to Roosevelt, Utah
where I was locked up with the Indians, then I got out and proceeded
to Towsen Maryland where in round three of the US Junior Championship
I played John Meyer in a game which followed Fischer Tal Potoroz 1959.

So, it all fits together.

Old April 10th 04, 09:10 AM
Fifiela

...John Meyer, winner of the 1964 U.S. Junior
Championship. His father was also playing in the tournament and was also
sporting a Au H2O button. The Meyer family was staunch Republican.

Father Meyer was a writer/editor for National Review when it was the best
magazine in the country. It's a useless neocon rag these days.