Old April 10th 04, 03:20 AM
Shaun Graham

Default Restarting provisional?!!!

I played in a tourney last month, with a guy who had an established
rating of 1952. The USCF just suddenly set his rating provisional
causing him to drop down to the 1600s. This cost me 15 rating
points(points and bonus). I want to become provisional too!!

Shaun

Rating History for
KENT SWEARINGEN
USCF ID 12421670 Expires 03-05 State TEXAS

Source Regular
Rating Quick
Rating
04-07 Unofficial 1685/04 1668/08
12-92 Annual List 1952
Old April 10th 04, 08:06 PM
Mike Nolan

(Shaun Graham) writes:

Will it be able to be corrected, and will i be able to get my
ratings points? If not, since my rating wont be correct i think the
only fair thing to do would be to set my rating back to provisional
also, so i can get a corrected rating. Don't you agree?

No, I don't agree. I think you should play more frequently so
that any occasional errors (both yours and the USCF's) get averaged
out. :-)

Seriously, the USCF is MONTHS behind on corrections, and I don't see
them making much headway on them any time soon, because they're also
extremely behind in processing memberships and rating reports. (And
Friday was the last day for 4 more USCF employees.)

Judy is working on the last of the March memberships today, I'm hoping to
be able to start work on the expiration audit tonight.

I still haven't gotten a copy of the updated crosstable files with
the April 7th rate data in them. I've done some checking and I
don't think the whole rate is bad, though the record you pointed out
yesterday apparently didn't have the member's old rating restored to
it for some reason.

It appears there's a problem with the way that past members with ratings
are reactivated in the old dBase system, but I can't determine if that's
related to the switch to the new membership system or just a weakness
of the old programming/design.
--
Mike Nolan
Old April 11th 04, 04:13 AM
bsanders

Mike,

Thanks for all the informative postings on the various ratings
databases and how they are maintained. However, why do we have both
http://www.64.com/uscf/ratings and
http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrLst.php
I don't see any need for http://www.64.com/uscf/ratings any longer and
any effort going to maintain it seems wastful especially now that USCF
is so critically shorthanded.

Thanks,
Bill
Old April 11th 04, 05:37 AM
Mike Nolan

(bsanders) writes:

Thanks for all the informative postings on the various ratings
databases and how they are maintained. However, why do we have both
http://www.64.com/uscf/ratings and
http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrLst.php
I don't see any need for http://www.64.com/uscf/ratings any longer and
any effort going to maintain it seems wastful especially now that USCF
is so critically shorthanded.

Al Losoff put together the 64.com site a number of years ago and has
maintained it as a volunteer effort. Aside from sending him updates
from each ratings supplement and the supplement file, there isn't much
upkeep from the USCF's end.

Al and I have had some chats about the future of the individual lookup
feature. Right now I think it offers several differences from the MSA
searches.

There needs to be some work done to MSA to make it look more like the
rest of the website and to add a few search features, such as a state
qualifier on member searches and the ability to search for tournaments
by state or month. That would be an appropriate time to either transfer
the 'individual lookup' search code to our ISP (where it would run from
the same database that powers MSA) or to discontinue it completely once
MSA offers all of the same functionality.
--
Mike Nolan
Old April 11th 04, 12:13 PM
Shaun Graham

(Mike Nolan) wrote in message ...
(Shaun Graham) writes:

[...]

Thanks for the info, but seriously who do i need to speak to
about getting this corrected? 15 points is normally like 5 hours
worth of hard work. o Also i'm sure that there is no way in the world
that Swearingen wants to be a B player with the exception that he
could now play another tournament throw a few games, drop to 1200 and
then go to the world open to win big bucks!
Old April 11th 04, 12:36 PM
Neil Brennen

Default More departures from USCF

"Mike Nolan" wrote in message

Seriously, the USCF is MONTHS behind on corrections, and I don't see
them making much headway on them any time soon, because they're also
extremely behind in processing memberships and rating reports. (And
Friday was the last day for 4 more USCF employees.)

Last one out turn off the lights....