Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old June 10th 12, 09:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.japan,rec.games.go,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.arts.movies.past-films
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Sam Sloan appears in Japanese Movie Clip

I just discovered an appearance by Sam Sloan in a 1984 Japanese movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=YzMNHdZMQls

The movie is Mahjong Horoki made in 1984.

He only says one line,

"Hey, play by the rules, will you."

They gave him that line because he actually said exactly that to one
of his opponents when auditioning for the movie and because he was the
best Mahjong player among the Americans who auditioned for the movie.
  #2   Report Post  
Old June 11th 12, 12:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.japan,rec.games.go,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.arts.movies.past-films
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2010
Posts: 134
Default Sam Sloan appears in Japanese Movie Clip

On Jun 10, 4:07*pm, samsloan wrote:

They gave him that line because [ ...]
he was the
best Mahjong player among the Americans who auditioned for the movie.


For those unfamilariar with Sloanese, this means that only one
American auditioned for the movie.

  #3   Report Post  
Old June 11th 12, 01:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.japan,rec.games.go,soc.culture.russian,rec.arts.movies.past-films
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Sam Sloan appears in Japanese Movie Clip

On Jun 11, 4:35*am, Your smrat wrote:
On Jun 10, 4:07*pm, samsloan wrote:

They gave him that line because *[ ...]
he was the
best Mahjong player among the Americans who auditioned for the movie.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=YzMNHdZMQls

For those unfamilariar with Sloanese, this means that only one
American auditioned for the movie.


Not true, as usual.

Many Americans, Australians, British and others auditioned for this
fairly small role in this movie.

I think the fact that most of the others did not really know how to
play Mahjong helped me get the part, and the fact that I was teaching
some of the others how to play helped too.

This is where the line came from, "Hey, play by the rules." That it
what I actually said when I was showing somebody how to play, and they
wrote it into the script.

By the way, a casting director named Bill Dorsey in Tokyo recruited me
and others for the part. You can ask him.

What I find surprising is somebody in Russia uploaded this video clip
onto youtube. You can see the Russian subtitles. I am wondering why he
only picked two short scenes from the movie to upload, and how it
happened that one of them was the scene that I was in.

Sam Sloan
  #4   Report Post  
Old June 11th 12, 04:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.japan,rec.games.go,soc.culture.russian,rec.arts.movies.past-films
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2010
Posts: 134
Default Sam Sloan appears in Japanese Movie Clip

On Jun 11, 8:02*am, samsloan wrote:

By the way, a casting director named Bill Dorsey in Tokyo recruited me
and others for the part. You can ask him.


That's interesting Spam Splooge. I googled this alleged casting
director Bill Dorsey. He seems to be a figment of your imagination. In
fact, he appears as a character in a screenplay written by Sam Sloan

HARD TIMES IN TOKYO, JAPAN

By Samuel H. Sloan

[...]

ANY RESEMBLANCE OF THE EVENTS OR THE CHARACTERS IN THIS MOVIE TO ANY
PERSON, LIVING OR DEAD, IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.


[...]

TONY: I imagine you've got pretty well settled down there. But I'd
like to help you out. You don't have to work for Mario. He's a real
slime, and I'm sure you know it by now. Of course, he'll introduce you
to a lot of broads. He's got more than the can handle himself. But,
remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch. You'll have to pay it
back in the long run. If you want, I'll give you a better job. I'll
introduce you to Bill Dorsey. He can get you in the movies. Make big
bucks.

SAM: Sounds good. I'm not getting ahead here.

TONY: Bill's my casting agent. I'll introduce you to him, sign you up
with him.

http://www.anusha.com/hardtime.htm

Poor Scram Slop. As you rapidly descend into dotage you're no longer
able to tell fact from fiction or remember which lies you told to
embellish which half truths. Pretty soon you'll be claiming a giant
invisible rabbit recruited you to play centerfield for the Mets. On
the bright side at your age pretty soon it'll only be the grim reaper
recruiting you. Remember, when you sit down to play chess with death,
don't use that upsidedown Damiano or whatever it is. Because to him a
draw's as good as a win.



  #5   Report Post  
Old June 11th 12, 07:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.japan,rec.games.go,soc.culture.russian,rec.arts.movies.past-films
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Sam Sloan appears in Japanese Movie Clip

On Jun 11, 8:51*am, Your smrat wrote:
On Jun 11, 8:02*am, samsloan wrote:

By the way, a casting director named Bill Dorsey in Tokyo recruited me
and others for the part. You can ask him.


That's interesting Spam Splooge. I googled this alleged casting
director Bill Dorsey. He seems to be a figment of your imagination. In
fact, he appears as a character in a screenplay written by Sam Sloan

HARD TIMES IN TOKYO, JAPAN

By Samuel H. Sloan

[...]

ANY RESEMBLANCE OF THE EVENTS OR THE CHARACTERS IN THIS MOVIE TO ANY
PERSON, LIVING OR DEAD, IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.

[...]

TONY: I imagine you've got pretty well settled down there. But I'd
like to help you out. You don't have to work for Mario. He's a real
slime, and I'm sure you know it by now. Of course, he'll introduce you
to a lot of broads. He's got more than the can handle himself. But,
remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch. You'll have to pay it
back in the long run. If you want, I'll give you a better job. I'll
introduce you to Bill Dorsey. He can get you in the movies. Make big
bucks.

SAM: Sounds good. I'm not getting ahead here.

TONY: Bill's my casting agent. I'll introduce you to him, sign you up
with him.

http://www.anusha.com/hardtime.htm

Poor Scram Slop. As you rapidly descend into dotage you're no longer
able to tell fact from fiction or remember which lies you told to
embellish which half truths. Pretty soon you'll be claiming a giant
invisible rabbit recruited you to play centerfield for the Mets. On
the bright side at your age pretty soon it'll only be the grim reaper
recruiting you. Remember, when you sit down to play chess with death,
don't use that upsidedown Damiano or whatever it is. Because to him a
draw's as good as a win.


Also the top line in the movie script says that it is fictional, it is
not fictional. Everything in the movie script really happened and
those are the real names of those people.

I wrote that it is fictional to avoid lawsuits.

Sam Sloan


  #6   Report Post  
Old June 11th 12, 10:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.japan,rec.games.go,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.arts.movies.past-films
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2011
Posts: 1,329
Default Sam Sloan appears in Japanese Movie Clip

On Jun 11, 10:56*am, samsloan wrote:

SPOILER: The movie ends when the older man you see in the first clip
has a winning hand of mahjong and shouts "MAHJONG" but before he can
turn over his winning hand and show it, he drops dead. So the other
three players in the game split the money and abandon his dead body by
the road.


How inspiring.

This movie was not successful at the box office but has become a cult
classic.


What, among card cheats, pickpockets and grave-robbers?
  #7   Report Post  
Old June 11th 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.japan,rec.games.go,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.arts.movies.past-films
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 782
Default Sam Sloan appears in Japanese Movie Clip

On Jun 11, 4:25*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Jun 11, 10:56*am, samsloan wrote:



SPOILER: The movie ends when the older man you see in the first clip
has a winning hand of mahjong and shouts "MAHJONG" but before he can
turn over his winning hand and show it, he drops dead. So the other
three players in the game split the money and abandon his dead body by
the road.


* How inspiring.

This movie was not successful at the box office but has become a cult
classic.


* What, among card cheats, pickpockets and grave-robbers?


I understand it is among the top 100 mahjong movies of all time.

Jerry Spinrad
  #8   Report Post  
Old June 12th 12, 12:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.japan,rec.games.go,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.arts.movies.past-films
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2011
Posts: 1,329
Default Sam Sloan appears in Japanese Movie Clip

On Jun 11, 3:29*pm, "
wrote:
On Jun 11, 4:25*pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:





On Jun 11, 10:56*am, samsloan wrote:


SPOILER: The movie ends when the older man you see in the first clip
has a winning hand of mahjong and shouts "MAHJONG" but before he can
turn over his winning hand and show it, he drops dead. So the other
three players in the game split the money and abandon his dead body by
the road.


* How inspiring.


This movie was not successful at the box office but has become a cult
classic.


* What, among card cheats, pickpockets and grave-robbers?


I understand it is among the top 100 mahjong movies of *all time.


Yes, and #1 is "Charlie Chan Packs in the Pongs in Hong Kong" (1944)
starring Sidney Toler, with Sam in an uncredited stint as Mantan
Moreland's technical adviser on taxi-driving.
  #9   Report Post  
Old June 12th 12, 12:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.japan,rec.games.go,soc.culture.russian,rec.arts.movies.past-films
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2010
Posts: 134
Default Sam Sloan appears in Japanese Movie Clip

On Jun 11, 2:30*pm, samsloan wrote:

the top line in the movie script says that it is fictional, it is
not fictional. *Everything in the movie script really happened and
those are the real names of those people.

I wrote that it is fictional to avoid lawsuits.


In order to disprove evidence tending to show that he is a liar, Spam
Sloon claims that he made up the evidence from whole cloth based on
his willingness to say whatever is convenient at the moment. Well
played.

  #10   Report Post  
Old June 12th 12, 02:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.japan,rec.games.go,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.arts.movies.past-films
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Sam Sloan appears in Japanese Movie Clip

On Jun 12, 4:42*am, Your smrat wrote:
a line later plagiarized by
famed director Stanley Kubrick, Sam's close friend,in Full Metal
Jacket.


This brings up a plan I have to remake another movie.

In the original, the drug-addicted wife is not moving and appears to
be dead. However, she soon wakes up and is OK.

In my proposed remake, when wife appears to be drugged and not moving,
she is actually dead of an overdose. To hide the evidence, the drug
dealer cuts up her body and places it in plastic bags with weights to
sink into the bottom of the ocean. Other crew members do not realize
this.

This will greatly improve the movie, of course.

Now I need to find a scene from another movie where a woman's dead
body is cut up with a chain-saw and placed in plastic bags with
weights and sunk into the bottom of the ocean.

Does anybody have suggestions?

This is all for the sake of art, of course.

Sam Sloan
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samuel Sloan Architect of Philadelphia 1815-1884 samsloan rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 2 February 4th 10 03:42 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017