Old June 11th 12, 04:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

Default correspondence chess

Do you play correspondence chess? is computer use allowed?
my friend is a 1500. he told me played a game against an 1100 USCF.
but guy must have been using a computer because he played like a 2500
in correspondence chess. is that normal ?
Old June 11th 12, 05:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jun 11, 8:40*am, Alex wrote:
Do you play correspondence chess? *is computer use allowed?
my friend is a 1500. *he told me played a game against an 1100 USCF.
but guy must have been using a computer because he played like a 2500
in correspondence chess. *is that normal ?

Computer use is allowed by the International Correspondence Chess
Federation (ICCF). USCF rules used to prohibit it, but I would guess
that by now they have changed their rules to allow computer use. In
any event, there is no way to enforce such a rule in correspondence
chess, so it's a safe assumption that most CC players are using
computer assistance.
I last played postal chess in the early to mid-1980s, before chess-
playing programs were any good. I'm not interested in it now, since it
would be more a contest between machines than between minds.
Old June 12th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Taylor is spot on. Classic postal style correspondence chess is long dead. Same with computer correspondence chess. Sad, but unavoidable.
Old June 12th 12, 12:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis

On 12/06/12 00:25, BLafferty wrote:
Taylor is spot on. Classic postal style correspondence chess is long
dead. Same with computer correspondence chess. Sad, but unavoidable.

I don't entirely agree. Certainly there is little point
playing correspondence chess [or these days e-mail chess] without
computer aid unless you can guarantee [how?] that your opponent is
playing ball, and there is even less point simply acting as postman
between your copy of Rybka, running overnight, and your opponent's
copy of Fritz [or whatever].

Nevertheless, these is a bar, somewhere in the region of
2000 Elo, above which a skilful player can add significantly to the
strength of a computer. That is, an hour spent analysing with the
help of the computer produces much better results than several
hours of the computer left to its own devices. A few years back,
there were "active chess" [ugh!] tournaments which were sometimes
won by quite weak players who proved more adept at driving their
computers than the GMs -- I haven't heard about such tournaments
recently, but I don't think computer chess has changed all that
much in the meantime.

In addition, there is still an intellectual satisfaction
in getting as near as possible to the "final truth" about some
position. If that position is your own current game, then so
much the better than simply descending on some random position
that turned out to be critical in a game between GMs.

Whether there are enough players with the requisite skills
and interests to make "correspondence" chess still viable is another
matter. Perhaps there aren't, in which case you are right and the
demise is inevitable. But it is also possible that there are still
enough players, and they [we!] just need some organisational help.
It's certainly a pity if players of Taylor's strength drop out on
the [unwarranted, IMHO] assumption that computer-aided slow chess
is of no interest or validity in its own right. Of course, if it
is viewed as "correspondence chess, but with cheating allowed",
then that taint alone will stop many people playing,

--
Andy Walker,
Nottingham.
Old June 12th 12, 01:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

On Jun 11, 12:14 pm, Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Jun 11, 8:40 am, Alex wrote:

Do you play correspondence chess? is computer use allowed?
my friend is a 1500. he told me played a game against an 1100 USCF.
but guy must have been using a computer because he played like a 2500
in correspondence chess. is that normal ?

Computer use is allowed by the International Correspondence Chess
Federation (ICCF). USCF rules used to prohibit it, but I would guess
that by now they have changed their rules to allow computer use. In
any event, there is no way to enforce such a rule in correspondence
chess, so it's a safe assumption that most CC players are using
computer assistance.
I last played postal chess in the early to mid-1980s, before chess-
playing programs were any good. I'm not interested in it now, since it
would be more a contest between machines than between minds.

C'mon guys, it's *talltree. please ignore. You should know better by
now Taylor; you've been here often before.

* talltree: asks leading, open questions, of a newbie nature, just
begging for attention from some well-meaning soul. Absolutely
NEVER again posts in the threads it starts. Not seriously
interested in the answer.