Old June 30th 12, 11:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,soc.culture.turkish,soc.culture.usa

Default Reasons for Turkish Chess Federation boycott on US Chess Arbiters

Three factors that everybody on the group seems to overlook a

1. In addition to suing FIDE, the USCF also sued former USCF President
Beatriz Marinello. She was one of the seven FIDE Vice-Presidents sued
by the USCF as mentioned in the statement by Ali Nihat Yazici.

2. In December of last year, the USCF boycotted the Women’s World Team
Championships that was organized and held by Ali Nihat Yazici in
Turkey.

3. In 2006, Louis Blair, who was at that time Chairman of the USCF
Forum Oversight Committee, got a Wikipedia administrator to block
several top officials from having their biographies posted to
Wikipedia. Among those blocked was Ali Nihat Yazici. Only with great
difficulty I was able to get the name of Ali Nihat Yazici unblocked in
October 2007, one and a half years later. The others in that same
group blocked through the actions of Louis Blair are all still
blocked, one of them being Geoffrey Borg, another FIDE Vice-President.
Also still blocked are Panupand Vijjuprabha of Thailand and Julio
Ingolotti of Paraguay. Try to post a Wikipedia biography of any of
them and you will see what happens. I have complained repeatedly to
the USCF board about this and nothing has been done.

So, it would seem that Ali Nihat Yazici has good reasons for taking
action against the USCF Arbiters, although I do not support nor agree
with what he has done.

Old July 1st 12, 03:36 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,soc.culture.turkish,soc.culture.usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyShane
In general, articles aren't blocked, but they are
deleted if there are no good secondary references and if notability
(in Wikipedia terms) can't be shown -- and that goes double for
biographies of living persons. I invite everybody to take a look at
the deletion discussion for the "Geoffrey Borg" article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped.../Geoffrey_Borg
..

Complaining to the USCF board about Wikipedia decisions is going to
accomplish exactly nothing -- they aren't in charge of anything on
Wikipedia.

I sincerely doubt that Yazici's action against arbiters from USCF and
the EuroCF had ANYTHING to do with a Wikipedia article deletion.

-- Randy Shane, 6 years editing Wikipedia, 20000+ edits
Thank you for providing the link to the discussion about the "Speedy
Deletion" of FIDE Vice-President Geoffrey Borg. This is hard to find
and I certainly did not know how to find it.

Could you please provide a similar link to the "Speedy Deletion" of
Ali Nihat Yazici that happened on the same day because that is the
person we are discussing here.

Anybody who knows anything about chess politics and chess governance
knows that Ali Nihat Yazici and Geoffrey Borg are important people.
Here on the link you have cited are about six non-chess players
debating over where to block the biographies of these two persons from
EVER appearing on Wikipedia because, once blocked, these blocks almost
always remain permanent.

I met both Ali Nihat Yazici and Geoffrey Borg for the first time at
the 2010 World Chess Olympiad in Khanty-Mansiysk, Siberia. Neither one
of them were aware that they had ever been blocked from Wikipedia, or
that Geoffrey Borg still to this day is blocked.

This all started when Louis Blair simultaneously sent IMs to 20
different Wikipedia administrators complaining about my biographies.
19 of them ignored the messages from Louis Blair but one of them, an
anonymous administrator known as "Just Another Guy" blocked all six of
them.

The statement that started this all was not true, that almost all of
my Wikipedia biographies have been deleted. I have originated more
than 400 Wikipedia biographies, almost all of them of chess players,
and none of them have been deleted except for Tom Dorsch and Bill
Brock and they requested their own biographies to be deleted, plus the
total I believe of six in one batch that were blocked by "Just Another
Guy", including the biographies of Ali Nihat Yazici and Geoffrey Borg.

The main reason that Ali Nihat Yazici got back on Wikipedia was the
Turkish Language edition of Wikipedia was carrying his biography,
although it was just a translation of the biography I originally
wrote, so eventually they let the English version back in.

The larger question is whether personalities such as Ali Nihat Yazici
and Geoffrey Borg can or should be blocked from Wikipedia due to no
fault of their own for reasons that have nothing to do with them.

Old July 1st 12, 04:56 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,soc.culture.turkish,soc.culture.usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyShane
I'll post in more detail shortly, but here's a
couple of things.

Wikipedia editor and admin Just zis Guy is not anonymous, as an
examination of his user page reveals.

The original version of
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...C4% B1c%C4%B1
(special turkish characters included) was deleted due to copyright
violations -- click on that link.

edit : The current version of the article started with a manual
translation from the article in the Turkish Wikipedia.
That is another thing. The Turkish Wikipedia Article was nothing more
than a translation into Turkish of my original article. If you check
my original article and the Turkish article you will see that.

The claim that I copyrighted violated somebody else's article was
bogus. I wrote the original article. My article was used by the USCF
when it nominated Ali Nihat Yazici and Geoffrey Borg for FIDE Vice-
President. This was the strange thing, that Louis Blair was
complaining about the biographies of the very candidates that the USCF
had nominated for FIDE high office in the 2006 elections. It is to be
recalled that I was elected to the USCF Board in 2006.

If "Just zis Guy" a non-chess player in England had spent five minutes
researching this he would have found all this. Obviously he acted
after about 30 seconds of thought.

The real question here is this all happened in 2006 and now six years
later the name of Geoffrey Borg is still blocked on Wikipedia.

Old July 2nd 12, 03:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,misc.legal,soc.culture.turkish,soc.culture.usa

On Jun 30, 8:56*pm, samsloan wrote:

The real question here is this all happened in 2006 and now six years
later the name of Geoffrey Borg is still blocked on Wikipedia.

Don't worry, Sam. We are The Borg. Resistance is futile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZEJ4OJTgg8