Old April 14th 04, 06:23 PM
Shaun Graham

Default Differential treatment in USCF announcement?

Seeking oppinions: There is dare i use the word a SCHISM in oklahoma
chess the oklahoma chess federation vs the Oklahoma chess Association.
In OCA tournament announcements they have placed the phrase "Other
states accepted for NONRESIDENTS". This is because i played in an
OCA tournament using my Texas chess association membership. They are
now trying to force me to support their organization by placing this
phrase in their announcements to stop me from using my Texas
membership. It is a long standing precedent, that tournaments
directors don't expect people who hold memberships in other state
associations, to join the chess federation of every state they play
in. To belong to a single federation has always been sufficient. Is
it comensurate with USCF policy to allow tournament directors to
discriminate, by accepting the state memberships of some people but
not selected others?

Thank you,
Shaun
Old April 15th 04, 03:16 AM
Bill Smythe

"Shaun Graham" wrote:
In OCA tournament announcements they have placed the phrase "Other
states accepted for NONRESIDENTS". ....
.... It is a long standing precedent, that tournaments
directors don't expect people who hold memberships in other state
associations, to join the chess federation of every state they play
in. To belong to a single federation has always been sufficient. ....

Only if it's the one for the state you live in, usually.

Otherwise, somebody could just join the cheapest state association they
could find -- perhaps even a bogus one set up in an obscure state for just
this purpose -- and play in every state championship in the country.

Illinois requires ICA membership for Illinois residents in ICA Tour events,
and has done so for some time. Other state memberships are NOT accepted for
Illinois residents.

Bill Smythe

Old April 15th 04, 04:53 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Shaun Graham" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Shaun -

Your state is, well.....in complete turmoil when it comes to chess, and
that's unfortunate. However, organizers and TDs can pretty much do whatever
they want as long as it's advertised. If they say "Oklahoma State Chess
Association membership required" but don't put the "Other States Accepted
[OSA]" clause in there, then in order to play you must purchase an OSCA
membership.

Is it fair? No. Does it make sense? No. Will it make them a lot of
money? No. But will it deter people from playing? Absolutely. That is,
however, their perogative since it was advertised that way.

Regards,

Matt

Old April 15th 04, 05:36 AM
Neil Brennen

"Shaun Graham" wrote in message
om...
Seeking oppinions: There is dare i use the word a SCHISM in oklahoma
chess the oklahoma chess federation vs the Oklahoma chess Association.

Sigh. Another chess-terrorist action by the Scholastic Chess Industry. The
kiddie-herders march a bunch of kiddies to the annual meeting, the kids vote
as instructed, and the child-exploiting herders take over. First Pittsburgh,
now OK.

How long until OK kiddie-herders use the OCA non-profit status for
self-enrichment, as has happened at Pittsburgh Chess Club?

Old April 15th 04, 05:59 AM
Douglas L Stewart

So all the Oklahoma people are trying to do is to get people who live in
Oklahoma to buy memberships in the Oklahoma state affiliate when they play
in Oklahoma tournaments? According to MSA you're state is Oklahoma, so I
don't see how they're being unreasonable.

Otherwise Alaska could see memberships for 50 cents and people all over the
country could use Alaska memberships to get out of joining their state
affiliate.

(Sorry to pick on Alaska.)

---
Douglas Stewart

President, Mississippi Chess Association