Old April 15th 04, 01:26 AM
ASCACHESS

Default Two Days to Go National HS Under 1000

With less than 48 hours to go before the National High School in Dallas, the
entries showing on the USCF website hover around 960.

Considering the punative costs of late registration, a flood of late entries is
not likely.

Combined with the dismal turnout for the National Elementary, are we seeing a
trend here?
It is worth noting that entry fees were raised again this year which combined
with the increases in scholastic and junior dues are driving down USCF's total
numbers.
While our "leaders" will rejoice that their giveaway program for adult
memberships netted a handful of members, total numbers continue to trend down
and the scholastic losses are not grieved in the least.

Rp

Old April 15th 04, 02:10 AM
ASCACHESS

Last year was 1375
Old April 15th 04, 05:50 AM
Douglas L Stewart

There is a message on the site posted at 8pm CDT on April 14 that they are
still catching up on entries. They're up to 1048 at the moment. Who knows -
maybe the sky is not falling.

I'm surprised Louisiana only has 3 players only and Arkansas 5 players only
on the registration site right now considering they are bordering states.
By comparison, Mississippi has 14.

I'm at a loss to understand why you think a $38 adult membership is a
"giveaway" when scholastic memberships are half that price. To me it looks
a smart marketing move that convinced some players that might not have
renewed old expired memberships otherwise to re-join USCF -- or it created
some new first time members. My guess is that by having those membership
creations automated on the web we elimited some processing costs and so the
reduced membership cost takes that into account.

I'm all for structural change for the USCF - lots of automation of ratings,
etc and greatly reduced dues for everyone. For scholastic players playing
in local scholastic tournaments, maybe we could move towards free
'registration' rather than memberships. The technology isn't quite in place
for us to lower the cost structure of the USCF just yet though, so we need
to keep the current structure limping along.

---
Douglas Stewart

President, Mississippi Chess Association

Old April 15th 04, 08:15 AM
ASCACHESS

For scholastic players playing
in local scholastic tournaments, maybe we could move towards free
'registration' rather than memberships. The technology isn't quite in place
for us to lower the cost structure of the USCF just yet though, so we need
to keep the current structure limping along.

---
Douglas Stewart

President, Mississippi Chess Association

I invite you to www.chesslogic.com where freememberships and free automated
ratings have existed for the past five years.

USCF limps because it wants to limp.
They are so stuck in ancient methods that they would rather double the rating
fees and keep the old methods rather than automating and letting the ratings be
free.

Perhaps you are wiser than me in understanding this.

Rp
Old April 15th 04, 08:33 AM
ASCACHESS

They're up to 1048 at the moment. Who knows -
maybe the sky is not falling.

Late breaking news.
Registrations up to 1165.

Total registrations from California 1.
Total registrations from Rhode Island, Wyoming, Massachusetts, and Alabama.
One each.
South Dakota, two.
DC two.
Louisiana three.

Old April 15th 04, 09:51 AM
John Fernandez

Late breaking news.
Registrations up to 1165.

Total registrations from California 1.

Yeah, that makes sense.

John Fernandez
Old April 15th 04, 10:34 AM
Neil Brennen

"ASCACHESS" wrote in message
For scholastic players playing
in local scholastic tournaments, maybe we could move towards free
'registration' rather than memberships. The technology isn't quite in

place
for us to lower the cost structure of the USCF just yet though, so we

need
to keep the current structure limping along.

---
Douglas Stewart

President, Mississippi Chess Association

I invite you to www.chesslogic.com where freememberships and free

automated
ratings have existed for the past five years.

Yes, Richard can't give away membership in his failed alternate-USCF.

Old April 15th 04, 05:16 PM
ASCACHESS

Yes, Richard can't give away membership in his failed alternate-USCF.

That is harsh. I didn't say USCF was a failed alternative :-)

On the other hand, participation in the All America Cup was up about 30% this
year.

Rp