Old April 15th 04, 05:38 AM
Matt Nemmers

Default Another warm-fuzzy from the ICA

Just a week and a half ago I organized and directed the 2nd installment of
my club's annual big-money tournament, the Sandbothe Memorial. Got a pretty
good turnout: 48 paid players (eight more than last year), and a GM-elect,
the current state champion, and a lot of other good players came to play.
Took a bath with the expenses, but when you consider that we paid out seven
of the 12 cash prizes to our own club members, everything seemed to come out
in the wash. Makes it worthwhile as a TD when you hand out to the people
who support you all year long a good chunk of the prize fund they helped pay
for.

The tournament which was supposed to be (and was advertised as) an ICA
Maxi-Tour Event. I hoped this would encourage more Illinois players to
play. (Incidentally, we got more total players than last year, but LESS
from Illinois itself, which says something, but exactly what I'm not quite
sure.) As Chief TD, I would be responsible for checking membership cards,
collecting dues, and handing out forms to those who wanted to play and
weren't already ICA members (or members of another state association.)
Standard registration stuff. Not hard, right? Well, don't hold your
breath -- this is the Illinois Chess Association we're talking about.

Several weeks before the tournament, I sent several emails to the ICA
*BEGGING* for the opportunity to make them money. All I needed ICA
membership forms and a current membership list. The first two emails I sent
were ignored. When I finally mass emailed the entire ICA Board of
Directors, the second email to them got a response (albeit scattered
response) from a few.

One told me that the membership list was available on the website. Said it
was "current as of February 29, 2004." Bull****. *I* joined the ICA on
January 4, 2004 at a Normal, Illinois tournament and have YET to receive my
membership card or an ICB and MY name isn't on that list. If I know *I'm* a
member and am not listed, how can I use that to check for current status of
ICA membership? As Bush Sr. might say, "Not gun duit. Wuldn't be prudent
at this jucture...." I told them if I didn't have a CURRENT list and forms
by the time registration STARTED, I would NOT require ICA membership at
registration; however, I said I would honor my end of the bargain to my
players who are playing for the ICA Tour points and pay the fee, send the
crosstable and all that jazz. Gotta keep my end of the deal, even if the
ICA doesn't help me help them. Pacta sunt servanda, as they say.

Then the bomb is dropped: the ICA Treasurer emails me and lets me know that
the ICA Tour fee for a Maxi-Tour event is $75.00! Nowhere was this posted
on the website. I thought it'd be $30, maybe $40 at the outside...but
$75.00?? Well, we'll see....

Anyways, registration comes and goes and not thirty-seconds after I
announced that registration was closed, an ICA official (whom I will not
name) came to my desk and handed me some forms and a membership list he'd
taken from the website. I explained the situation: Registration is OVER, I
needed this about two hours ago. [I check for my name on his list which
cannot be found and hand it back]. I tell him the list would've done me no
good anyway as the list is not complete. I will not and have not required
ICA membership for this tournament. "Good luck in your game, the pairings
are posted."

At any rate, I chit-chatted with this person quite a bit during the course
of the weekend, and he's really a very amiable fellow. Very friendly and a
good player to boot. Around the conclusion of the tournament I tell him,
"Look, we need to work something out here. This was advertised as a
Maxi-Tour event, but I got about five guys from Illinois playing. Your
people didn't get me an accurate list, pretty much ignored my emails asking
for help, and I didn't even have forms available during registration if I
*wanted* to collect. I got no full-page ad in the ICA [one of the benefits
of running a Maxi-Tour event] and damn-near had to beg you guys to even put
the TLA for the tournament on the ICA website. We're going to have to
renegotiate the tour fee."

"I know there were some problems and I'm sorry about that," he says, nodding
understandingly. "You can just pay one dollar per person."

"Great! I think there's only five or six ICA guys playing," I answer,
thinking that's a very reasonable offer.

"No, that'd be $48.00: a dollar for every person playing in the
tournament."

"Uh, no. Not acceptable." He apparently thought he was "hooking me up"
with his counteroffer of $48. Wrong.

Long story short, I *VERY* generously give the ICA $20 for the tour fee and
leave it at that. I can tell the guy's not happy about the deal, but
they're damn lucky they got that much. After my club and I get
systematically ass-raped trying to, of all things, *make* the ICA some green
without even getting the full benefits, they have the nerve to still want
full price after they ignore me? Then, their counter-offer at the
negotiation table is a measley $27 discount of an already WAY overpriced
fee?? Gimme a break. Or at least a reach-around.

No, I don't have a point here, in case anybody's wondering. I just wanted
to relay my little story to you all because I know you love a good drama.
Besides, I've never seen anybody here pass up a good
check-out-how-****ed-up-this-guy-is story.

The ICA, when taken individually, are very nice people. As an organization,
they wouldn't be fit to lead a horse to water. The people who're busy
"fixing" the ICA, even though they seem to be good people with noble
intentions, have a long row to hoe. Right now they couldn't fix a bowl of
cereal.

Have at it, TMB.....

Regards,

Matt

Old April 15th 04, 06:12 AM
Douglas L Stewart

I think you just needed to go off the older list on the web site and just
trust people who say they have renewed or purchased ICA membership since the
membership list was last updated.

As for that Maxi-Tour event thing - it sounds like you didn't get the full
benefits of having a Maxi-Tour event (the full page ad) and given the very
tepid response from ICA players you seem fully justified in reducing how
much money you sent them. TV networks do this kind of thing all the time
for their advertisers if ratings lag below expectations.

---
Douglas Stewart

President, Mississippi Chess Association

news:[email protected]_s52...

Old April 15th 04, 04:11 PM
Vince Hart

It is difficult to be too hard on the guy because he is an amiable
fellow, but the ICA is an unwieldy mess and it would take greater
administrative skills than he possesses to straighten it out.

Vince Hart

Old April 15th 04, 05:37 PM
Quad City Chess

"Douglas L Stewart" wrote in message ...
I think you just needed to go off the older list on the web site and just
trust people who say they have renewed or purchased ICA membership since the
membership list was last updated.

Why bother? If the ICA couldn't even give me an accurate list of its
current members (after numerous requests), why should I give myself
the extra headache of checking for state memberships? I'm not going
to lose any sleep over not making the ICA any money since they weren't
concerned about it themselves, and it certainly didn't bother any of
the players not having the extra expense.

The point is, I was more than willing to support the ICA and they
didn't think it was important enough to give me the tools I needed to
do that.

What a way to run a railroad.....

SNIP

Regards,

Matt

---

Old April 15th 04, 09:00 PM
The Masked Bishop

Have at it, TMB.....

I would, but it gets tiring, flogging a dead walrus. Your experience
is sadly typical of what passes for chess support at the ICA these
days...essentially wretched incompetence, buoyed up by "nice guy"
personas.

Trouble is, "nice guys" are finally more infuriating than evil
*******s, since they have no excuse to be so terrible at what they do.
If the ICA was run by a bunch of foul-minded scumballs, we'd expect
this kind of horrible chess administration. Instead, it's run by
"really nice people," who have no excuse other than their own sheer
inability to manage their association.

And the witless fumbling is often mind-blowing, isn't it? But they
continue to take your highest-in-the-nation fees on the promise of
their "really great" magazine, which, when it shows up every five
months or so, is a poorly-printed selection of local crosstables (you
know, the Cornfield Open down in Decatur, where Al Chow was paid an
honorarium to run a simul against the editors), punctuated by sponsor
shills and breathless adorations of Russian expatriots fleecing the
straights at the latest Tim Just shivaree.

Hmm, guess the walrus took another beating...please, someone, rise to
the defense of this train wreck. Oh, I forgot: they are indefensibile.
Only in the totality of their awfulness are they fascinating, and you
just have to stop and stare...at the rotting walrus, festering on the
beach.

Old April 16th 04, 03:42 AM
Ron Suarez

On 15 Apr 2004 13:00:46 -0700, (The Masked Bishop) wrote:

[...]

Whether the ICA is defendable or not really isn't the point.

TMB is obviously a reprobate of the vilest level. He sits there and
takes cheap and inaccurate shots at a truly volunteer group. What a
schmuck!

Matt, I understand your aggravation and frustration. Unfortunately,
the ICA is presently in a state of need. They need to organize better
and yes, they need to get their act together in the membership and
mailing list situation.

Bill Smythe really did a lot for the group. When he "retired" there
was and still is a big hole left in his wake. It is taking a number
of people and a good amount of activity to replace Bill's efficiency.
The group is still working on the situation.

Realize the group is indeed a volunteer group. I know the Iowa group
is also there. Unfortunately, the Illinois group is in a time of
difficulty. I think that giving the guys that run the group a break
would be nice.

TMB ( The Moron Bishop) is ready to slam anyone and everyone to show
how clever he is. Jerks will be jerks.

The situation with your tournament and the ICA is over. You did not
receive your full due as a Maxi-Tour event and they did not receive
their full recompense. I would call that a wash. I bet the ICA is
not asking you for anything else from this tournament. If there is
anything you feel the ICA owes you, you should communicate that to
them. I suggest you email the nice executive that attended your
tournament with your needs. If you feel that the ICA owes you nothing
more then that is fine. I imagine you will not be making your
next-year tournament a Maxi-Tour event and probably not even an ICA
event at all. You may want to let the dust settle before you make any
decisions on that.

Regards,

Ron Suarez
Old April 16th 04, 05:57 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Ron Suarez" wrote in message

Whether the ICA is defendable or not really isn't the point.

Right. I think we've established that it isn't defendable anyway.

TMB is obviously a reprobate of the vilest level. He sits there and
takes cheap and inaccurate shots at a truly volunteer group. What a
schmuck!

I know you, Ron. We've met before and even shared a few games I've enjoyed.
I consider you a friend and look forward to your next visit to the Quad
Cities.

I don't know TMB at all other than to say he's a very eloquent and outspoken
poster here, but I don't think he's taking any "cheap shots at a truly
volunteer group;" he just calls a spade a spade. Nobody's disputing that
every organization dedicated to chess is made up of volunteers who, for the
most part, have very noble intentions and seek nothing but to promote the
greatest game on the planet. However, there are certain, minimal levels of
service I, and every other director/organizer worth his salt, *expect* (or
should expect) from those in leadership positions within their respective
clubs and associations. I did NOT receive the minimum level of service
REQUIRED of people who expect to be taken seriously and I was compelled to
share this with RGCP. TMB merely sympathized with my plight, offered his
opinion, and left it at that. And IMHO, I don't think he was "inaccurate"
at all in his assessment.

Matt, I understand your aggravation and frustration. Unfortunately,
the ICA is presently in a state of need. They need to organize better
and yes, they need to get their act together in the membership and
mailing list situation.

Thank you and I agree.

Bill Smythe really did a lot for the group. When he "retired" there
was and still is a big hole left in his wake. It is taking a number
of people and a good amount of activity to replace Bill's efficiency.
The group is still working on the situation.

Yes, I agree. I also agree that they need a good amount of people to
replace Bill Smythe. And it's unfortunate that it was left to Bill to fill
the shoes of so many in a state with so many (self-proclaimed) enthusiastic
chess players. Too many indians and not enough chiefs, perhaps?

Realize the group is indeed a volunteer group. I know the Iowa group
is also there. Unfortunately, the Illinois group is in a time of
difficulty. I think that giving the guys that run the group a break
would be nice.

I give props to anybody willing to donate their personal time and efforts in
promoting the game. My hat is off to Vince Hart for taking on such a
challenging job, just as my hat is off to Chris Baumgartner for "relieving"
him. It's a tough, thankless job these people do. I do it myself, so I'm
no stranger to it. However, I don't think answering an email is too much to
ask. As a member of the Iowa State Chess Association Board of Directors, I
answer *every single email* sent to me within 48 hours, especially ones that
request help or inquire about a serious concern that is my responsibility as
an elected official to address. I realize people have lives outside of
chess and that a *game* is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but
if you don't have the time to devote to those other volunteers who depend on
you to make your state volunteer, non-profit organization money and MOST
importantly promote the game, why did they "volunteer" in the first place?

I asked for a current membership list and some forms BEFORE registration
began. I asked for these things -- which any state association should be
able to present on demand -- well in advance. WEEKS in advance. As a TD, I
don't think this is unreasonable. I was ignored.

Sorry, but no "breaks" will be given on this point, regardless of the
situation. I respect your willingness to go to bat for your organization,
Ron, but I can't and won't accept that ****-poor excuse.

TMB ( The Moron Bishop) is ready to slam anyone and everyone to show
how clever he is. Jerks will be jerks.

I don't know what this means.

The situation with your tournament and the ICA is over. You did not
receive your full due as a Maxi-Tour event and they did not receive
their full recompense. I would call that a wash. I bet the ICA is
not asking you for anything else from this tournament. If there is
anything you feel the ICA owes you, you should communicate that to
them. I suggest you email the nice executive that attended your
tournament with your needs. If you feel that the ICA owes you nothing
more then that is fine. I imagine you will not be making your
next-year tournament a Maxi-Tour event and probably not even an ICA
event at all. You may want to let the dust settle before you make any
decisions on that.

You're right, Ron. My tournament is over. I did not receive full due and
they did not receive full recompense. I do call it a wash. And the
Sandbothe will NOT be a maxi-tour event in the future, I'm sure. I will be
long gone by next years tournament and won't be directing, organizing or
playing in it, but after witnessing the debacle the ICA made of this years
event, I don't imagine they'll be too enthusiastic about making next years
tournament one, or even bothering renewing their affiliate membership.
C'est la vie.

Ron, please believe me when I say that I'm all about promoting the game.
I'm all for the organizations that support chess and have nothing but
respect for the volunteers who comprise the organization. After all, most
of those volunteers are "non compos mentis," if ya knowhutimean. But I
will also tell you this: If the organization can't even meet the *VERY*
small and minimal requirements of the people and organizations it DEPENDS on
for it's own livelihood and *I* get burned, I will make sure that people
know about it. I may be one small voice in a big organization, but it's
that small voice that gets others speaking up, and if you get enough people
to speak up, you bring about change. The ICA needs change....and badly.
I'm only trying to help.

Regards,

Matt

Regards,

Ron Suarez

Old April 16th 04, 03:34 PM
Kevin L. Bachler

In article [email protected]_s54, Matt Nemmers says...

I don't know TMB at all other than to say he's a very eloquent and outspoken
poster here, but I don't think he's taking any "cheap shots at a truly
volunteer group;" he just calls a spade a spade.

This is where I have to disagree. Are there problems with ICA? Absolutely.
But YOU called a spade a spade. TMB's ramblings are highly exaggerated.
Statements like the magazine not coming out for 5 months are just not true.

That's why it sounds like cheap shots to me too. Criticize their planning, the
way the tour is run, membership, etc. It's all true. One doesn't need to
exaggerate.

Kevin L. Bachler

Old April 16th 04, 05:18 PM
Vince Hart

I think you are pretty much right about everything Matt other than the
Masked Bishop who seems pretty clueless to me. He can tell that
things aren't working but beyond that, I don't think he has made a
single intelligent comment when it comes to the causes of the problems
or suggested solutions.

It seems to me that chess governance attracts too many people with
grand visions for the future of chess but no interest in mundane tasks
like generating revenue, maintaining a membership list or getting a
magazine out in a timely fashion. The visionaries seem to think that
those tasks will just take care of themselves. And if you have a
person like Bill Smythe around, they do seem to take care of
themselves until he gets burnt out by the work load. Then it becomes
chaos.

Vince Hart
Old April 16th 04, 05:23 PM
Ron Suarez

Snip

I know you, Ron. We've met before and even shared a few games I've enjoyed.
I consider you a friend and look forward to your next visit to the Quad
Cities.

I like you too Matt and think you will do well wherever you go in
life.

I don't know TMB at all other than to say he's a very eloquent and outspoken
poster here, but I don't think he's taking any "cheap shots at a truly
volunteer group;" he just calls a spade a spade.

Kevin Bachler responded to this best. TMB is not even close to being
accurate in his rantings.

Nobody's disputing that
every organization dedicated to chess is made up of volunteers who, for the
most part, have very noble intentions and seek nothing but to promote the
greatest game on the planet. However, there are certain, minimal levels of
service I, and every other director/organizer worth his salt, *expect* (or
should expect) from those in leadership positions within their respective
clubs and associations. I did NOT receive the minimum level of service
REQUIRED of people who expect to be taken seriously and I was compelled to
share this with RGCP.

I agree with you and your frustration is well placed.

[...]

Yep!

[...]

I totally agree.

I asked for a current membership list and some forms BEFORE registration
began. I asked for these things -- which any state association should be
able to present on demand -- well in advance. WEEKS in advance. As a TD, I
don't think this is unreasonable. I was ignored.

Sorry, but no "breaks" will be given on this point, regardless of the
situation. I respect your willingness to go to bat for your organization,
Ron, but I can't and won't accept that ****-poor excuse.

OK, fair enough.

TMB ( The Moron Bishop) is ready to slam anyone and everyone to show
how clever he is. Jerks will be jerks.

I don't know what this means.

See Bachler's reply for elucidation.

[...]

Where are you going and when? I'll be in the Quad City area sometime
in June. If you are still around we can get together and play chess.

Ron, please believe me when I say that I'm all about promoting the game.
I'm all for the organizations that support chess and have nothing but
respect for the volunteers who comprise the organization. After all, most
of those volunteers are "non compos mentis," if ya knowhutimean. But I
will also tell you this: If the organization can't even meet the *VERY*
small and minimal requirements of the people and organizations it DEPENDS on
for it's own livelihood and *I* get burned, I will make sure that people
know about it. I may be one small voice in a big organization, but it's
that small voice that gets others speaking up, and if you get enough people
to speak up, you bring about change. The ICA needs change....and badly.
I'm only trying to help.

I know and agree with you Matt.

Ron Suarez

Regards,