Old October 19th 12, 06:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Stan Vaughan in North Carolina

On Friday, May 4, 2001 5:22:43 PM UTC-4, Leland L Fuerstman wrote:
Dear Mr. Klem:I assume that you mean well, sir, but you really don't have a clue!? Again, I shall share with you what I remember about Stan Vaughan. I began directing tournaments in the early 70's. Stan Vaughan was a teenager living in a small town in S.C. near Charlotte. Vaughan played in a few of my tournaments. His rating was approximately 1200-1300. I do recall that he was an extravert who loved to make bold claims but that his true results were always "poor." He was extremely active but this did not seem to improve his skill. As the months went by, I noticed an incredible change in his rating. Others approached me with questions about his sudden rise to over 1800? I was also curious. I therefore communicated with the USCF and inquired. They sent me tournament printouts that indicated that among other things Vaughan had submitted erroneous results, some with "fictitious" players. (I even recall that he submitted results where he supposedly won games against high rated players whom he had never actually played!) Shortly, thereafter, Vaughan's rating soared to over 2100-2200-2300?? But, there were other wrongdoers associated with Vaughan. Marvin Chappel was also cited for the same violations and ultimately admitted his association with Vaughan and his guilt. (Other members who were cited for similar infractions were Alan Cooley, Gary Branton, Michael Buaiz, and Curtis Graham all of whom ultimately admitted their involvement and guilt) Finally, the USCF stepped in, analyzed Vaughan's case, and stripped him of his right to conduct chess tournaments. They also rolled his rating back hundreds of points!? (As were Marvin Chappel's and the others listed). His name was then listed on the "Suspended Directors" list. Refusing to show the contrition displayed by Chappel, Vaughan simply moved to another state. I had no further personal contact with him. But, over the next 20 years his name appeared MANY times in the Rating Supplements on the "Suspended Directors" and "Suspended Players" list. A USCF representative once stated to me that Vaughan's shenanigans included receiving money for USCF memberships and not submitting it on time, or at all, failure to submit rating reports in a timely fashion, or not at all, submitting fictitious rating reports causing other members to "lose" rating points, and the list goes on. Now, some 25 years later, it seems as though nothing has changed. As I am sure you are aware that Vaughan is now under "a court order NOT to represent himself as either a director nor member of the USCF?!" You must know why!?I SWEAR THAT, TO THE BEST OF MY RECOLLECTION, ALL OF THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE. The problem is that most of the illegal acts which I have pointed out occurred over 20 years ago. Whether there is an ongoing file at the USCF containing Vaughan's questionable history, I do not know. There was simply no department at the USCF to police the activities of wrongdoers. Many USCF employees and officials have come and gone since then. The only real evidence which I am sure may still be observed is in the old (and probably current) "Rating Supplements." I have no personal grudge against Stan Vaughan. However, I can safely say that anyone who has legitimately achieved the title of National Master despises a fraud and a cheater. The paradox is that there is no question that Vaughan has been successful in bringing new members into chess over the last 20 years. He may have subsequently, to those who are not completely aware of his past, created the reputation of a "good guy." I personally believe that any man has the capability of changing from his old ways and adopting new ideas in order to improve his character and reputation. However, current information proves otherwise.There must be some previous or current USCF employees or Officials who will be able to provide more concrete evidence against Vaughan, ie. old printouts, letters of complaint, sanctions etc. I, personally, have kept no such file, nor should it have been my responsibility. But, I can honestly say that everything which I have stated is true, whether you believe it or not.Someone made the comment in this forum that "...even Arnold, Nixon & Clinton had their good sides." That statement should also include IM Norman T. Whitaker and even possibly Stan Vaughan. But, in neither case, regardless of how one interprets it, can their history bedenied. In your recent response, you state that, "Hatred and bigotry have driven Stan Vaughan out of chess. " Hatred, I can understand, but please explain the bigotry part!? I remember Vaughan as being a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. May I recommend that the next time you choose to act as someone's sycophant, you do a bit more research about his past. As for your confused and uninformed friend Mr. Brennen, someday I expect an apology from him.Respectfully,NM Leland Fuerstman

I doubt Mr. Klem gives a rat's ass at this point.